Child Prodigy Claims Divine Inspiration

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 11:27:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.akiane.com...

Theists, does this prove anything for you?

Atheists, does this raise questions or doubts?

Discuss.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 11:33:05 PM
I watched the first minute then got distracted by her other videos. Incredible!!! (But does she say anything else in the video worth mentioning, that's different from the first minute?) It doesn't raise any doubts for me at all. I think people are more powerful than they think and if someone wants to ascribe that power to God that's their business.
yang.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 11:49:44 PM
At 11/29/2012 11:33:05 PM, tulle wrote:
I watched the first minute then got distracted by her other videos. Incredible!!! (But does she say anything else in the video worth mentioning, that's different from the first minute?)

After the fourth minute it goes into a Fox News report about it where the girl and her mother and I think father are interviewed as well.

It doesn't raise any doubts for me at all. I think people are more powerful than they think and if someone wants to ascribe that power to God that's their business.

Even if she's claiming to have had visions from God when she was young?
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:25:37 AM
"Originals ~ $5,000 - $3M"

That's a lot of motive to lie. Not that I necessarily think she's lying. After all, I'm perfectly content with the realization that full-grown adults are mistaken when they think a deity is in some way contacting them. I'm certainly willing to extend that realization to children.

(But seriously, that is a LOT of motive to lie.)
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 9:31:38 AM
At 11/30/2012 2:25:37 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
"Originals ~ $5,000 - $3M"

That's a lot of motive to lie. Not that I necessarily think she's lying. After all, I'm perfectly content with the realization that full-grown adults are mistaken when they think a deity is in some way contacting them. I'm certainly willing to extend that realization to children.

(But seriously, that is a LOT of motive to lie.)

Lulz. Literally no respect for humanity xD but I do give you a little credence with it: she does sound high whenever she talks xD

But I don't know how I can factor lying into it plausibly. Even without the claim of God, it wouldn't detract from her quality of work. So she'd still be making those figures.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 9:53:10 AM
How does she know it's god? Maybe it's Satan. Does that still count as "divine"?

Seems like Satan has corrupted this poor girl toward materialism, given the prices of her paintings.

I think a healthy exorcism is in order.
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:06:08 AM
I don't think she's lying. Kids believe tons of crazy sh!t, imagine how crazy you'd sound if your parents really believed in Santa Claus...
yang.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:22:28 AM
At 11/30/2012 9:53:10 AM, drafterman wrote:
How does she know it's god? Maybe it's Satan. Does that still count as "divine"?

Wouldn't she be painting pictures of death and strippers if Satan was inside of him?

Seems like Satan has corrupted this poor girl toward materialism, given the prices of her paintings.

She chooses the prices? O.o is that even a real thing?

The lulz there are so many of them. XD
emospongebob527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:32:37 AM
At 11/29/2012 11:27:52 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I'm not a theist, don't care.

I'm not an atheist, don't care.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:38:19 AM
At 11/30/2012 11:32:37 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:

Almost makes one wonder why you bothered to post at all.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:00:06 PM
At 11/30/2012 11:32:37 AM, emospongebob527 wrote:

Well, you have to be one of those.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:00:57 PM
At 11/30/2012 11:22:28 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Wouldn't she be painting pictures of death and strippers if Satan was inside of him?

That'd hardly be profitable.

No, but she's choosing to sell them, isn't she?

DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:36:11 PM
At 11/30/2012 9:31:38 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Lulz. Literally no respect for humanity xD

Not really, no. lol

But I don't know how I can factor lying into it plausibly. Even without the claim of God, it wouldn't detract from her quality of work. So she'd still be making those figures.

I was thinking the same thing. Her paintings would undoubtedly make her wealthy with or without the God claim, which to me suggests either:

1. She's just mistaken (again, I have no qualms with the realization a child can have an overactive imagination).
2. Her or her family thought it would make her even more famous and/or wealthy (religion tends to do that).

Just read this and tell me it doesn't sound at all fishy:

Akiane composed a series of Jesus paintings after finding the perfect model. "I always think about Jesus and talk about Him," she said. "I was looking for a model for a long, long time, and when I couldn"t find anyone, one day I suggested to my family to pray all day for this model so God would send the right one." That very day, a tall man who also happened to be a carpenter came to their door looking for work. Akiane said, "I told my mother that that was him. I want him to be my model," she recalled. The carpenter (who wishes to remain anonymous) was reluctant at first, because as a humble Christian he thought he "wasn"t worthy to represent his Master." But he called back a week later to say that he had changed his mind.*

First of all, what are the freaking odds a Christian carpenter who looks like Jesus would happen to drop by on the same day this kid's parents supposedly prayed all day even though they were atheists? And second of all... refer to the first of all.

*http://www.in5d.com...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:48:40 PM
At 11/30/2012 12:00:57 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/30/2012 11:22:28 AM, Zaradi wrote:

That'd hardly be profitable.

In this day and age? I dunno....

No, but she's choosing to sell them, isn't she?

She could always pull a bit from Peanuts and sell them for five cents. And from what it looks like I don't think her parents have loads of it around, so the income is nice.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:52:28 PM
At 11/30/2012 1:36:11 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 11/30/2012 9:31:38 AM, Zaradi wrote:

Lulz. Literally no respect for humanity xD

Not really, no. lol

Fair 'nuff.

I was thinking the same thing. Her paintings would undoubtedly make her wealthy with or without the God claim, which to me suggests either:

1. She's just mistaken (again, I have no qualms with the realization a child can have an overactive imagination).
2. Her or her family thought it would make her even more famous and/or wealthy (religion tends to do that).

Fair thought, but do you think she would actually go along with it? I mean, she's an internationally acclaimed genius, and apparently has the morals of a saint. Would she really lie intentionally?

Just read this and tell me it doesn't sound at all fishy:

Akiane composed a series of Jesus paintings after finding the perfect model. "I always think about Jesus and talk about Him," she said. "I was looking for a model for a long, long time, and when I couldn"t find anyone, one day I suggested to my family to pray all day for this model so God would send the right one." That very day, a tall man who also happened to be a carpenter came to their door looking for work. Akiane said, "I told my mother that that was him. I want him to be my model," she recalled. The carpenter (who wishes to remain anonymous) was reluctant at first, because as a humble Christian he thought he "wasn"t worthy to represent his Master." But he called back a week later to say that he had changed his mind.*

First of all, what are the freaking odds a Christian carpenter who looks like Jesus would happen to drop by on the same day this kid's parents supposedly prayed all day even though they were atheists? And second of all... refer to the first of all.

*http://www.in5d.com...

Sure, but most of the religious claims sound fishy to me.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:22:48 PM
At 11/30/2012 1:52:28 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Fair thought, but do you think she would actually go along with it? I mean, she's an internationally acclaimed genius, and apparently has the morals of a saint. Would she really lie intentionally?

I wouldn't put lying past Mother Teresa. Whenever anyone makes a claim, I ask myself two questions:

1. Does this person have a likely reason to be lying?
2. Does this person have a likely reason to be mistaken?

I can't say for sure which is the case with Aikane, but I'd be lying myself if I said I've never thought about faking divine intervention for money. We can say with clear hindsight that her paintings would make a lot of money with or without her name-dropping Jesus, but before she was famous, maybe they weren't so sure and her parents wanted a little more insurance.

But again, she might just be a kid with an overactive imagination. Without further research, I honestly can't decide which I consider more likely. But the possibility that this all-loving deity is actually using its infinite powers to help her write poetry and learn the piano is among my least popular candidates.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:54:59 PM
I've met God and the Devil numerous times. Or, rather, I've met characters, perhaps figments of my imagination, claiming such titles. Always through perhaps coincidence. It's as if I'm talked to through everything. And they are profound conversations.

I've also had a "vision". I've full blown hallucinated. I'll never forget it. It was the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. I was landed into space, in this huge tube, a white line down the middle of it, on which I was standing, and, which, if I were to stand off of it, I would begin choking. The tube led to a rocket far off in the distance, soaring up from Earth.

Now there's obvious symmetry to be drawn between "God's righteous path" and that vision, no? And, then, my conversations with God and the Devil lend credence to interpreting it as such. But, well, maybe I'm just incredibly artistic... maybe I'm just deluding myself? maybe random? I don't know...

I do know my world changed when I turned from God, though. I know that nothing really shines through from my past anymore but my sins. I know I used to talk to God all the time, but not one single conversation can I remember. I know that all I really think now is "Communism". I see a whole load of evil, what I believe denial of God, of ultimate good, and I speak out against it. I would destroy it. Dunno why. Perhaps all the while in fear of God? perhaps in spite of God? perhaps all the while with God? All I know for sure is that I have been profoundly moved by God.

(A FVCKING PRIEST JUST WALKED INTO MY HOUSE TALKING ABOUT HIMSELF HALLUCINATING HAVING GREETED OUR COUCH HAVING MISTAKEN SOMETHING ABOUT IT FOR SOMEONE, NO FVCKING JOKE!! ...wow.)

I believe that girl. If she's been having these visions from a young age, they're not something she's abusing now. They are profound, I know. She did not explain them away so thoroughly as to now abuse them. As regards their real worth, though, their truth value, I have no idea. Perhaps me and her are just crazy, I dunno... But I am Communist and sought forgiveness from whatever God may be only very recently, perhaps felt very true sorrow lifted in doing so, and will do so again. I will never resign myself to animalism. There's no true denial in me. To deny is to consider myself a monster. I cannot. Make what you will of it.

Communism is Love :P
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 3:20:57 PM
At 11/30/2012 2:22:48 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
But the possibility that this all-loving deity is actually using its infinite powers to help her write poetry and learn the piano is among my least popular candidates.

I was once a child prodigy. And then I lost God. Make what you will of it.

I've actually two tests coming up next week that I've failed the sh1t out of on all attempts beforehand that I'm now feeling pretty good about...

See, this is more of it. Mass-troll?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 3:51:18 PM
Whoa wtf, she got a way less fvcked up visions than I did...

Lol.

I love her.

I guess I really am to bring about world communism...

Guys... world communism, guys.
signature
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 4:20:06 PM

Discuss.

Most artists that I know, same with authors -and even some politicians- truly believe that they are only the vehicles for the expression of something entirely greater than themselves. Granted, one guy -I actually dated- who played in an orchestra didn't share that view but he wasn't especially good. The ones who are truly remarkable don't believe that they are the source of their product, only that they are the means towards its creation. I am not an artist and what few manuscripts I have completed are -by practical measure- nothing extraordinary so I can't say from personal experience wether this is the case or not, only that it's not an uncommon account.
Tsar of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:25:59 PM
I documented that vision here on ddo prior to this, only without relating it to God, but wow does it fit that it does...

http://www.debate.org...

I'm the fvcking astronaut that chick painted in her "Creation" painting!!

Guys... Communism.
signature
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 7:48:00 PM
I don't think she's lying. I don't think she's wrong either. When you feel the inspiration and passion rise up within your body when your making art, it's hard not to call the feeling God.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:07:18 PM

I'll get my exorcising cross.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:10:37 PM
At 11/30/2012 8:07:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

You can borrow my exercise cross-trainer if you want ;) http://images.clipartof.com...

Edit: Nvm, you said exorcise, not exercise =3
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:20:39 PM
At 11/30/2012 7:48:00 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I don't think she's lying. I don't think she's wrong either. When you feel the inspiration and passion rise up within your body when your making art, it's hard not to call the feeling God.

Which doesn't make it right.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:28:50 PM
At 11/30/2012 8:10:37 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
At 11/30/2012 8:07:18 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

You can borrow my exercise cross-trainer if you want ;) http://images.clipartof.com...

Edit: Nvm, you said exorcise, not exercise =3

Lol I caught it when I said it out loud.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Muted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:53:41 PM

Edited.
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 8:54:30 PM
At 11/30/2012 8:20:39 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 11/30/2012 7:48:00 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:

Which doesn't make it right.

Doesn't make it wrong for that matter either.

It depends what image you have of God. A Jew would call it Yahweh, a Taoist would call it Qi, a Christian would call it God, but it's all the same feeling.