Jump to topic:

What/who is God to you.

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:18:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Please explain using your own intellect without referring to your religion.

If you need to use scripture to explain God then you aren't explaining God through your own beliefs but somebody elses.

What or who is God to you?

What do you believe to be Gods plan for us?

How did he create us?

Where is God now?

Did God create the universe entirely or just us?

If he created the universe, were we planned or just a happenstance from chronological events?

Does God know everything already or is he still gaining knowledge from his observations?

Does God physically interact with us in present day or is it only psychological?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 12:25:24 PM
At 11/30/2012 10:18:32 AM, pozessed wrote:

I can't really separate the two. My religious beliefs are part of my intellect.

If you need to use scripture to explain God then you aren't explaining God through your own beliefs but somebody elses.

But I believe what the scriptures say, and most of my education comes from hearing what my teachers had to say as well as the authors of the books I've read.

I don't know what you mean by "to you," but I can tell you who and what I think God is. God is the creator and ruler of the universe.

He has different plans for each of us. He has a broad plan for some to suffer eternal punishment and for others to have abundant life. His ultimate plan for all people is to glorify himself.

How did he create us?

I don't know.

Where is God now?

I don't think God is physical located anywhere in the same sense that a cat might be on my couch or on my bed. But God is present everywhere in the sense that there is no place that is not under his divine control.

He created the entire universe, but some of the things in the universe are the result of causes within the universe. So everything that exists was not the direct creation of God. For example, I made a banana nut bread. God didn't make that. But God made all the material the banana nut bread is made of. That's not to say he directly made the bananas and stuff, but I mean he made the fundamental material--the underlying energy that the mass is made of.

If he created the universe, were we planned or just a happenstance from chronological events?

We were planned.

Does God know everything already or is he still gaining knowledge from his observations?

He knows everything already.

Does God physically interact with us in present day or is it only psychological?

There is a fine line between the physical and the psychological since the brain is physical, and there is causal interaction between the two. If God interacts with us physically, then that's going to affect us psychologically, and if he interacts with us psychologically, then that's going to affect us physically. So I don't know how to answer this question.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:24:08 PM
I hope you don't take offense, but I would like to comment back.
At 11/30/2012 12:25:24 PM, philochristos wrote:

Which came first, your beliefs or your intellect? If you had intellect before you had beliefs and now you can't separate your intellect from your beliefs, that would make one of the two biased wouldn't it?

But I believe what the scriptures say, and most of my education comes from hearing what my teachers had to say as well as the authors of the books I've read.
I'm not asking you to doubt the scripture, I'm asking you to say what it taught you without quoting from it.

I don't know what you mean by "to you," but I can tell you who and what I think God is. God is the creator and ruler of the universe.
I mean just what I said.
For me, God is the creator of all my knowledge, he is love and he is me. I only commit evil when I ignore love yet not knowing evil is ignorant.

He has different plans for each of us. He has a broad plan for some to suffer eternal punishment and for others to have abundant life. His ultimate plan for all people is to glorify himself.
No offense, but that sounds selfish.

How did he create us?

I don't know.

Where is God now?

I don't think God is physical located anywhere in the same sense that a cat might be on my couch or on my bed. But God is present everywhere in the sense that there is no place that is not under his divine control.
Is there nothing in the universe that is everywhere and has been since the beginning of it?

He created the entire universe, but some of the things in the universe are the result of causes within the universe. So everything that exists was not the direct creation of God. For example, I made a banana nut bread. God didn't make that. But God made all the material the banana nut bread is made of. That's not to say he directly made the bananas and stuff, but I mean he made the fundamental material--the underlying energy that the mass is made of.
What you are saying is; even though God knows how to make the banana nut bread he let somebody else create it without his control?

We were planned.
Even sin? Gods assertion to sin is to eradicate it. Here on Earth we think the holocaust and abortion is a sin. Yet, to some, if God commits genocide or kills his children he should be worshiped.

Is that your belief or your intellect that answered that question?

There is a fine line between the physical and the psychological since the brain is physical, and there is causal interaction between the two. If God interacts with us physically, then that's going to affect us psychologically, and if he interacts with us psychologically, then that's going to affect us physically. So I don't know how to answer this question.

Can we physically touch God, or is it only psychological?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:48:04 PM
At 11/30/2012 2:24:08 PM, pozessed wrote:
I hope you don't take offense, but I would like to comment back.
At 11/30/2012 12:25:24 PM, philochristos wrote:

Which came first, your beliefs or your intellect? If you had intellect before you had beliefs and now you can't separate your intellect from your beliefs, that would make one of the two biased wouldn't it?

I can't tell you which came first because I don't see how it's possible to separate the two. As I said before, my beliefs are part of my intellect. Maybe it would help if you'd tell me what you mean by each word. Here's how I'm defining both of them:

To believe is to think that something is true, to hold that something corresponds to reality, etc.

The intellect is the mind, the sum total of our cognitive faculties, our noetic structure, etc.

I'm not asking you to doubt the scripture, I'm asking you to say what it taught you without quoting from it.

Oh, okay. Well, I think I've done that.

I mean just what I said.

When somebody asks you what you mean by what you said, it's not helpful to say "I mean just what I said." I'm asking you what you mean by what you said. I have no doubt that you mean what you said, but I don't know what that meaning is. What I need is something more than the mere words. I need an explanation of the words and how you're using them.

For me, God is the creator of all my knowledge, he is love and he is me. I only commit evil when I ignore love yet not knowing evil is ignorant.

When you say, "he is me," are you using the 'is' of identity? Would you be just as willing to say, "I am God," as you are to say, "He is me"? Do you think each individual is a distinct god? Or are you the only God? Or are well all the same god?

No offense, but that sounds selfish.

No offense taken.
Where is God now?

Is there nothing in the universe that is everywhere and has been since the beginning of it?

Umm, space? Although space is divisible, and different areas of space are located in different places. I can't think of an object that is located anywhere. Maybe abstract objects, like the laws of logic, but I think it may be a category error to attribute spacial location to abstract entities. It may also be a category error to attribute spacial location to God, except when done metaphorically (e.g. to indicate his involvement, his favor, or his attention), but I'm not sure.

What you are saying is; even though God knows how to make the banana nut bread he let somebody else create it without his control?

I don't think God controls us in the same sense that a puppet master controls a puppet, but I do think God is in control in the sense that he disposes the world in such a way that we will make banana nut bread. But it is us who actually does it, even though there's a sense in which God is responsible for it. He planned it, and he ensured that it would happen.

We were planned.
Even sin?

When I said, "We were planned," I mean that God planned our existence. However, I also think God planned everything we do, including sin.

Gods assertion to sin is to eradicate it.

I don't know what you mean by "assertion to sin."

Here on Earth we think the holocaust and abortion is a sin. Yet, to some, if God commits genocide or kills his children he should be worshiped.

I agree. God created life, and he has the right to take it. He is the only one able to give it back, and he does so for everybody at the resurrection. He has forbidden us to take life except in the case of war, self-defense, justice, and whatever other exceptions I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Is that your belief or your intellect that answered that question?

What's the difference?

Can we physically touch God, or is it only psychological?

I don't know what it would mean to physically touch God since God is not a physical being. I do believe that God is able to interact in the physical world. If that is what is called "physically touching," then yes, I believe we can physically touch God.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:20:14 PM

God is God.

I don't know as I am not god.

How did he create us?

Je ne sais pas

Where is God now?

Somewhere. Everywhere. Nowhere.

God did what God did. Nobody could ever hope to know.

I cannot hope to have this knowledge.

God is god. I don't know.

I don't know.