What Defines A Christian?

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:49:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/8/2012 11:46:50 AM, pozessed wrote:
LOL, Sign up and dig in pls. These people need some real intellect.
http://bibleforums.org...

Not your personal army, or something.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:53:16 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:49:03 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

I never implied anyone was. Thanks for noticing the potential of freedom of thought and expression though.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:58:36 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:53:16 AM, pozessed wrote:

I never implied anyone was. Thanks for noticing the potential of freedom of thought and expression though.

I was joking :P anyway, I could do what you said but nothing except frustration will come out (for me). Coming on an unknown forum to rant about it will just make people hate you and say stuff like "If you don't like it here, don't go here", while completely missing the point I, or anyone is making.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:00:37 PM

I make it a rule to not go on forums that are likely to be full of aggressive heretics.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:12:26 PM
At 12/8/2012 11:58:36 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 12/8/2012 11:53:16 AM, pozessed wrote:

I was joking :P anyway, I could do what you said but nothing except frustration will come out (for me). Coming on an unknown forum to rant about it will just make people hate you and say stuff like "If you don't like it here, don't go here", while completely missing the point I, or anyone is making.

No reason to rant, just politely ask and answer questions that you find relevant. I'm not asking for anyone to attack their faiths or be obscene.
Just bring some new intellect to a discussion and be respectful, as most everybody here does.
I am also not asking anyone to do more than read and discuss as we do here.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:16:12 PM
At 12/8/2012 12:00:37 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

I make it a rule to not go on forums that are likely to be full of aggressive heretics.

It seems to me aggression is found most when misunderstandings of simple definitions happen.
Can we not use forums and other social networks of the like to publicly discuss vulnerable issues in a respectable way in order to achieve maximum potential?
Why is this community the only one you limit to ask/answer questions of important resolve?
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:16:47 PM
"Bible Forums"

A forum with a name like that is most likely full of hicks. I dare not tred there.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 12:24:24 PM
At 12/8/2012 12:16:47 PM, phantom wrote:
"Bible Forums"

A forum with a name like that is most likely full of hicks. I dare not tred there.

A wise man learn from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from others mistakes.

Why deem them as ignorant, and fail to realize your own abilities inside their community?

As "Bible Forums" (Bible Discussion), It should be considered an obvious place to discuss the Bible, even if it may instill possibilities of doubt in the religion as long as it strengthens the faith and morals of God that the community disagrees/agrees on.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 1:33:30 PM
At 12/8/2012 12:50:54 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 12/8/2012 12:32:29 PM, pozessed wrote:
They closed my post...

What exactly is their reason?

They say I'm a non christian yet, I expressed my spiritual Guide was God, Jesus, and the holy spirit in a public post for public ridicule of the moderators judgment about my faith so the community could agree.

In fairness though, I was asked to make a thread in their mod chat section. I however felt that their unrighteous decision to claim a few words misleading of my religious bias to be worthy of public ridicule and they didn't.
Thus my post was closed.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 6:18:54 PM
At 12/8/2012 6:16:39 PM, wiploc wrote:

A Christian is one who points at another Christian and says, "You're not a real Christian."

No.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 6:22:17 PM

A Christian is one who points at another Christian and says, "You're not a real Christian."

So wrong yet completely true, as my situation is proof of this ordeal.

If Christianity is the only true religion as they proclaim. Wouldn't I already be a "Christian" in Gods eyes, because He would be the only God that all people of any religion pray to, regardless of how they pray or what they think they are praying to?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 8:41:27 PM
At 12/8/2012 6:22:17 PM, pozessed wrote:

If Christianity is the only true religion as they proclaim. Wouldn't I already be a "Christian" in Gods eyes, because He would be the only God that all people of any religion pray to, regardless of how they pray or what they think they are praying to?

Humans fabricate whatever god(s) they want theirs to be like and then go about claiming their concept is the only correct one!

Hence we have the thousands of opposing ideologies surrounding these human concepts!

Some more violent than others in order to maintain that particular human concept at any cost, even human life!
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:50:54 PM
A Christian is someone who determines in their heart to follow Christ, soon see's the impossibility of this and so grows utterly dependent on His grace and forgiveness whilst slowly growing stronger and becoming more like Him.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:25:05 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:50:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
A Christian is someone who determines in their heart to follow Christ, . . . .

Incorrect!

A xtian is some one who deludes themselves that they are a genuine Story book jebus believer wanting to follow its examples!

IF they truly wanted to follow its example of correct teachings they would start by becoming a faithful eternal Jew as Story book jebus was!

Also a genuine jebus' believer would manifest ALL the Story book promises and requirements already a given & required by said Story book.

The next one outside of Story book Land will be the first in man's entire history!

Instead ALL we have is just more frauds and deceivers that have arrogated a title for themselves!

arrogate: Make undue claims to having & Take control of (without authority and possibly with force); (WordWeb)

arrogate: claim without right: Pocket Oxford Dictionary/POD

This is ALL easily testable using your own preferred bible Story book
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 2:12:57 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:50:54 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

A Christian is someone who determines in their heart to follow Christ, soon see's the impossibility of this and so grows utterly dependent on His grace and forgiveness whilst slowly growing stronger and becoming more like Him.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 1:44:42 PM

No, because all other religions (apart from Judaism) are satanic and so Hindus etc are actually worshipping demons.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 2:11:53 PM
At 12/9/2012 1:44:42 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

No, because all other religions (apart from Judaism) are satanic and so Hindus etc are actually worshipping demons.

You do realize that Jesus adopted a lot of Eastern philosophy, right? There are massive parallels between Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism. Since these religions are evil, their teachings must be evil, but if their teachings are the parallel to Christianity, then does that not make Christianity evil...?

Jesus did not teach family values, rather he told his disciples to leave their families and become ascetics and renunciates like himself. Guess what? The Buddha, Krishna, and Lao Tzu told their followers the EXACT SAME THING! Once again, another evil teaching. Correct?

Here's one for instance:

Christianity teaches that the "true-self" is divine. The true-self is who you are in front of God. In other words, who you really are, not what the world forms you to become. Well what do you know, the Baghadvad Gita, the Buddha, and Lao Tzu taught basically the exact same thing.

Here are some fun filled parallels:

"Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, Comes to Me." The Gospel According to John

"He who works for Me alone and has Me for his goal, is devoted to Me, is freed from attachment, and bears enmity towards no creature, He enters Me." The Bagavad Gita

"He will go to the other shore and stand on dry land if he has realized liberation and hidden knowledge in this life." Catukka Nipata Pali

"Knowing that which does not change is enlightenment. Not knowing is blindness"To be one with Tao is divine. Though you may die, you will not perish. The Tao te Ching

Wait...I thought these other religions were "evil." Yet, they teach basically the same thing as Jesus and Christianity does, or, rather, should.

Another Parallel:

1. "The Kingdom is not coming with signs to be observed. The Kingdom of God is within you." The Gospel of Luke

"Those who seek oneness ceaselessly find the Lord dwelling in their own hearts." The Bagavad Gita

"The Way is empty, yet contains all. Words cannot describe it. Better that one should look for it within." (Think about it for a couple seconds) The Tao Te Ching

2. "When someone wants to take your shirt, let him have your coat as well. If someone forces you to go a mile with him, go with him an extra mile."
- The Gospels of Matthew, Luke and Thomas

"The greatest reward in the world is to provide for others. And there is no greater loss in the world than to accept from others without an attitude of gratefulness." The Buddha

"Give to the one who begs from you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow from you." The Gospels of Matthew and Luke

"A disciple who seeks well-minded disciples should act without thinking when he performs acts of charity." The Dhammapada

"And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every infirmity.
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." The Gospel of Matthew

"I give you a new commandment: Love one another as I have loved you." The Gospel of John

"Just as a mother would risk her life to protect her child, so should one cultivate a limitless heart of compassion for all beings." The Buddha

So this is all evil, right?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 2:19:02 PM
At 12/9/2012 2:11:53 PM, THEBOMB wrote:

You do realize that Jesus adopted a lot of Eastern philosophy, right? There are massive parallels between Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Taoism. Since these religions are evil, their teachings must be evil, but if their teachings are the parallel to Christianity, then does that not make Christianity evil...?

Jesus did not teach family values, rather he told his disciples to leave their families and become ascetics and renunciates like himself. Guess what? The Buddha, Krishna, and Lao Tzu told their followers the EXACT SAME THING! Once again, another evil teaching. Correct?

Here's one for instance:

Christianity teaches that the "true-self" is divine. The true-self is who you are in front of God. In other words, who you really are, not what the world forms you to become. Well what do you know, the Baghadvad Gita, the Buddha, and Lao Tzu taught basically the exact same thing.

"Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, Comes to Me." The Gospel According to John

"He who works for Me alone and has Me for his goal, is devoted to Me, is freed from attachment, and bears enmity towards no creature, He enters Me." The Bagavad Gita

"He will go to the other shore and stand on dry land if he has realized liberation and hidden knowledge in this life." Catukka Nipata Pali

"Knowing that which does not change is enlightenment. Not knowing is blindness"To be one with Tao is divine. Though you may die, you will not perish. The Tao te Ching

Wait...I thought these other religions were "evil." Yet, they teach basically the same thing as Jesus and Christianity does, or, rather, should.

Another Parallel:

1. "The Kingdom is not coming with signs to be observed. The Kingdom of God is within you." The Gospel of Luke

"Those who seek oneness ceaselessly find the Lord dwelling in their own hearts." The Bagavad Gita

"The Way is empty, yet contains all. Words cannot describe it. Better that one should look for it within." (Think about it for a couple seconds) The Tao Te Ching

2. "When someone wants to take your shirt, let him have your coat as well. If someone forces you to go a mile with him, go with him an extra mile."

"The greatest reward in the world is to provide for others. And there is no greater loss in the world than to accept from others without an attitude of gratefulness." The Buddha

"Give to the one who begs from you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow from you." The Gospels of Matthew and Luke

"A disciple who seeks well-minded disciples should act without thinking when he performs acts of charity." The Dhammapada

"And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every disease and every infirmity.
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." The Gospel of Matthew

"I give you a new commandment: Love one another as I have loved you." The Gospel of John

"Just as a mother would risk her life to protect her child, so should one cultivate a limitless heart of compassion for all beings." The Buddha

If a system (like the Army) works, it can work for good or for bad, so of course the enemy is going to replicate God's way for his own ends.

The stone cold reality is that Buddha, Muhammad and every other false teacher will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 2:29:57 PM
At 12/9/2012 2:19:02 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Here's one for instance:

Another Parallel:

If a system (like the Army) works, it can work for good or for bad, so of course the enemy is going to replicate God's way for his own ends.

You do realize that these other religions and philosophies existed before Jesus and thus before Christianity, right?

Buddhism: circa 450 BCE
Bhagavad Gita: very old, around 9th and 8th centuries BCE
Philosophical Taoism: during the Han Dynasty 206 BCE to 220 CE
Christianity: mid 1st century, CE

So...the reality is, it seems Christianity adopted eastern philosophies, not the other way around.

There is a degree of truth in every religion and every philosophy.

The stone cold reality is that Buddha, Muhammad and every other false teacher will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.

But...they teach the some of the exact same things as Jesus did....forgiveness, compassion, the list goes on and on...

So yea, you believe everyone will be judged, but who are you to say they are false teachers and thus will be judged badly? Is that not up to God? You are but a man.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 6:35:33 PM
I like to say the exact oppisite of everything a non beliver thinks in general. That makes it easier to absorb.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
elisur
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 9:03:33 PM
At 12/9/2012 6:35:33 PM, sadolite wrote:
I like to say the exact oppisite of everything a non beliver thinks in general. That makes it easier to absorb.

Acts 11:26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church, and taught a large company of people; and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians.

Christians is the disciples of Christ
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 1:43:56 AM
At 12/9/2012 9:03:33 PM, elisur wrote:

Story book jebus was an eternal Jew!

Hence a true disciple would be a Jew!

xtianity should therefore follow the teachings of the eternal Jew jebus!
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 8:22:57 AM
At 12/10/2012 1:43:56 AM, Composer wrote:
At 12/9/2012 9:03:33 PM, elisur wrote:

Story book jebus was an eternal Jew!

Hence a true disciple would be a Jew!

xtianity should therefore follow the teachings of the eternal Jew jebus!

I'm beginning to like you a little now that your writing in a more tolerable tone and manner Composer.
Gracious for the efforts =).

Back on topic.

Correct me if I am wrong. The Jewish community follows the old testament and Christians are supposed to follow the old testament as does the Jews while also using Christs life as a spiritual guide and moral example?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 1:31:49 PM
At 12/9/2012 2:29:57 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 12/9/2012 2:19:02 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Here's one for instance:

Another Parallel:

You do realize that these other religions and philosophies existed before Jesus and thus before Christianity, right?

So...the reality is, it seems Christianity adopted eastern philosophies, not the other way around.

But...they teach the some of the exact same things as Jesus did....forgiveness, compassion, the list goes on and on...

So yea, you believe everyone will be judged, but who are you to say they are false teachers and thus will be judged badly? Is that not up to God? You are but a man.

There was NOTHING before Jesus: ALL things were made through Him for Him!

And who said they will be judged badly? They, like you and I, will stand before the judgment seat of Christ, some to eternal destruction, some to eternal life.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2012 2:03:39 PM

Here's one for instance:

Another Parallel:

There was NOTHING before Jesus: ALL things were made through Him for Him!

I'm glad you concede that Christianity adopted a lot of eastern philosophies. You see, Christianity did not exist until much, much later than many eastern philosophies. All things may have been made for him, but the organized worship of him did not begin until the mid first century. And he did not become man until around that exact same time. Jesus's teachings did not exist until then. When teaching, Jesus taught much of the time in an eastern sense. In fact, the way he spoke in parables and riddles actually suggests that Jesus was a kind of Zen Master. No, I am not insulting your religion, I am just pointing out that Zen Buddhism teaches in the same way that Jesus did. In Zen Buddhism, a person reaches "enlightenment" by attempting to answer riddles and parables. Yet, the point is not to answer the riddle, but see beyond the riddle. It's an interesting practice.

If you have ever read the Gnostic gospels, you would see that very clearly. (It is seen in the biblical canon, but just not as clearly). I know that it may not be canon but it still is a source.

And who said they will be judged badly?

You called their religions satanic. That suggests they will be judged badly. You called them "false teachers." Once again, suggests they will be judged badly. Even though you forget the fact they taught the same thing your religion teaches. But, hey, who cares about that.

They, like you and I, will stand before the judgment seat of Christ, some to eternal destruction, some to eternal life.