Reductio ad Atheism

Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:46:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Atheist Humanist: "We have a moral duty to love those as ourselves"

Atheist: If God doesn"t exist, then such duty is ultimately subjective, and therefore meaningless"

Theist: "So then we have a duty and we don't?"

Agnostic: "Beats me!"

How does atheism not reduce to the absurd, and find its way out of this?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:49:48 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:46:03 PM, Apeiron wrote:

Atheist: If God doesn"t exist, then such duty is ultimately subjective, and therefore meaningless"

The If-Then statement is a misattribution to atheism. Atheists aren't required to believe that.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:54:48 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:49:48 PM, drafterman wrote:

The If-Then statement is a misattribution to atheism. Atheists aren't required to believe that.

Russell, Nietzsche & Sartre sure thought atheists were required to believe that. How couldn't they be committed to an ultimately meaningless world apart from God?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 9:56:27 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:54:48 PM, Apeiron wrote:

Russell, Nietzsche & Sartre sure thought atheists were required to believe that. How couldn't they be committed to an ultimately meaningless world apart from God?

Because of their philosophies which were in addition to their atheism. As you just showed, an atheist humanist can believe otherwise. You can be an atheist without adhering to Russell, Nietzsche, or Sartre. And no, they weren't "required" to believe in that.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:21:12 PM
At 12/8/2012 9:56:27 PM, drafterman wrote:

Because of their philosophies which were in addition to their atheism. As you just showed, an atheist humanist can believe otherwise. You can be an atheist without adhering to Russell, Nietzsche, or Sartre. And no, they weren't "required" to believe in that.

I'm going for coherence here when I ask HOW can they not coherently belief in an ultimately meaningless world and true duty at the same time.

I'm not asking about their preference, or their psychology.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 10:27:22 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:21:12 PM, Apeiron wrote:

I'm going for coherence here when I ask HOW can they not coherently belief in an ultimately meaningless world and true duty at the same time.

Did they? You'll have to ask somebody more knowledgeable about them than I. I'm speaking more in terms of atheism and atheists in generally.

An atheist doesn't have to be either a humanist or a nihilist, so no I coherence is necessary. I'm not aware of anyone that is both.

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:34:32 PM

This is the most absurd criticism of atheism. How do you need supernatural to act morally? Most people are just intrinsically good and want to be good. If your God was proven wrong 100% for some reason, you would still be a good person, right?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:38:12 PM

in my experience, they embrace the absurd.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:45:18 PM
At 12/8/2012 11:34:32 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

This is the most absurd criticism of atheism. How do you need supernatural to act morally? Most people are just intrinsically good and want to be good. If your God was proven wrong 100% for some reason, you would still be a good person, right?

it is a bad criticism of atheism, but if God was ever 100% proven to not exist......i'm pretty sure there'd be a pretty damn big looting spree at the least.
signature
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:55:40 PM

(1) This is a mis-attribution to all three of them. None of them were full on nihilists, especially Russell.

(2) For every atheist who's a nihilist there are plenty who aren't/weren't. Mill, Rand, Rothbard, Epicurus, Hume, Chomsky, Bentham, Dewey, Marx, Dennett, Moore, ad infinitum thought otherwise.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2012 11:58:33 PM
At 12/8/2012 11:55:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:

(1) This is a mis-attribution to all three of them. None of them were full on nihilists, especially Russell.

(2) For every atheist who's a nihilist there are plenty who aren't/weren't. Mill, Rand, Rothbard, Epicurus, Hume, Chomsky, Bentham, Dewey, Marx, Dennett, Moore, ad infinitum thought otherwise.

logically though, atheism and nihilism go hand in hand... you don't see that?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:02:00 AM
why one would, though, i don't really know... that is, in believing 100% that there is no god... seems a silly weakening of yourself...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:07:08 AM
feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings... maybe marx's manifesto got him his cock sucked a lot?? dunno..... definitely like an agnostic in fear of god at the least though.. that indoctrination stuff really clings to you...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:09:25 AM
At 12/9/2012 12:07:08 AM, badger wrote:
feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings... maybe marx's manifesto got him his cock sucked a lot?? dunno..... definitely like an agnostic in fear of god at the least though.. that indoctrination stuff really clings to you...

he was. surely. otherwise he was either dumb or made a whole load of money and went and partied with the bourgeoisie with it
signature
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:15:33 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:58:33 PM, badger wrote:

No, I don't see that. There is no link between atheism and any other philosophical doctrine other than, perhaps, rationalism. You seem to think that atheism ties to meaninglessness, which is false. We create our own meaning and purpose in this world. Getting meaning and purpose from a top-down directive doesn't give one true purpose any more than your parents telling you to clean your room and become a Republican gives you meaning and purpose. When the two are found by one seeking them, they are much more profound and meaningful than anything that an ancient book of sky-ghosts can imbue.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:16:27 AM
like being a full on hardcore atheist replaces the god voice in your head telling you to do good with a devil voice saying sh1t like "why don't you just kill him?" or "take it!" or "who cares if it's a monkey?!"

like... how can you not believe in God when you think about it... i mean it's a sinking into evil... and, well, there's a fvcking problem of evil for you... i mean, we accept it because we've reduced ourselves to nothing? that's a bit fvcking gay... i'm not nothing.... how about we solve it as believers??? seems much more reasonable.....

blah blah no evidence... dudes!! like.....look at this sh1t! and us....... we're fvcking awesome!! random??? gay. stupid. i think we're god. or... like god. in his own image perhaps??? yup.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:18:36 AM
At 12/9/2012 12:15:33 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

No, I don't see that. There is no link between atheism and any other philosophical doctrine other than, perhaps, rationalism. You seem to think that atheism ties to meaninglessness, which is false. We create our own meaning and purpose in this world. Getting meaning and purpose from a top-down directive doesn't give one true purpose any more than your parents telling you to clean your room and become a Republican gives you meaning and purpose. When the two are found by one seeking them, they are much more profound and meaningful than anything that an ancient book of sky-ghosts can imbue.

subjective and thus ultimately meaningless. hitler created his own meaning for life then shot himself when it was all over for him.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:20:23 AM
as i said, you're applying feeling atop of nihilism... feeling isn't something rational and doesn't mean sh1t as regards truth unless you assign it worth in our being like God ourselves or something...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:34:41 AM
i suspect that if the whole world banded together for communism we'd establish a true objective morality pretty fast and be real God creatures... it came to me in a dream. or... it came to me in a drug trip mostly... but that sh1t i took was really sparkly!! and then if we didn't, well, fvck God, he's an evil bastard.
signature
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 9:37:57 AM
At 12/8/2012 11:55:40 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Demonstrate it.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 10:04:47 AM
I still have no idea why the existence of god solves the problems of morality. Without some standard that takes into account the things we value (happiness, mental stability, rationality, etc.) which Christians don't want to do because then god would be a middle-man, there's no reason to care what god thinks is moral or not.

Pascal's wager applies to god's nature just as much as god's commands or beliefs, so claiming morality resides in his nature solves nothing so far as I can see.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 11:54:41 AM

Are you saying that's the atheist view? If so, you're wrong. Atheism itself entails no doctrines on morality.

Or is it just a hypothetical conversation?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 11:58:14 AM
Why does morality require meaning?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:09:44 PM
At 12/8/2012 10:27:22 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 12/8/2012 10:21:12 PM, Apeiron wrote:

Did they? You'll have to ask somebody more knowledgeable about them than I. I'm speaking more in terms of atheism and atheists in generally.

An atheist doesn't have to be either a humanist or a nihilist, so no I coherence is necessary. I'm not aware of anyone that is both.

Dawkins I think is a good example who'll give lip-service to nihilism when pressed but then blast religion for being intolerant, etc.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:12:38 PM
At 12/8/2012 11:34:32 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

The claim, of course, isn't that one can act morally without reference to God. Scripture even says all have the moral law written on their hearts, Jews, Christians, atheists, whatever.

I can't see how if God didn't exist, how then we would have a sound ontology for affirming the morals we already hold dear. That's the claim. Not moral epistemology, nut moral ontology.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2012 12:15:08 PM
At 12/8/2012 11:38:12 PM, badger wrote:

in my experience, they embrace the absurd.

Right, and embracing a contradiction is embracing incoherency ... as if it were popular to do so- you can't embrace what is impossible, otherwise you're just telling a nice fictional story... wouldn't you agree?