Jump to topic:

Divine Punishment Sin.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 2:42:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At the core of christianity is a concept, a concept of justice, more specifically and focused on divine punishment.

Sin, you can't have christianity without sin, and you can't have divine punishment without the sin to be the object of that divine punishment. So what the hell is it ? Before you answer sin is some sort of tresspass of the law (Gods law of course) I don't think you understand the question.

Does sin have any physical properties ? does it occupy time and space the same way an atom does ? cause as far as I know we have not found any physical substance of sin.

Is sin conceptual ? like mathematics, but that would mean sin only exists in the head so too speak the same way a flying pink unicorn exist. It seems absurd to invoke divine punishment against a concept, shall we invoke divine punishment against the thought crime of 2+2 =5 ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 2:43:48 AM
Your doing it wrong.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 2:44:20 AM
At 12/16/2012 2:43:48 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Your doing it wrong.

Probably.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 3:19:50 AM
At 12/16/2012 2:42:14 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At the core of christianity is a concept, a concept of justice, more specifically and focused on divine punishment.

Sin, you can't have christianity without sin, and you can't have divine punishment without the sin to be the object of that divine punishment. So what the hell is it ? Before you answer sin is some sort of tresspass of the law (Gods law of course) I don't think you understand the question.

Does sin have any physical properties ? does it occupy time and space the same way an atom does ? cause as far as I know we have not found any physical substance of sin.

Is sin conceptual ? like mathematics, but that would mean sin only exists in the head so too speak the same way a flying pink unicorn exist. It seems absurd to invoke divine punishment against a concept, shall we invoke divine punishment against the thought crime of 2+2 =5 ?

Sin is the absence of God in the same way darkness is the absence of light.

If He is not in you, you cannot be in His presence.

The best analogy I can give is that we do not keep the lifeless body of a relative around the house, however much they were loved, because there's no life in them.

Unless we are 'born again' spiritually, we have no life in us and are discarded into the outer darkness.

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour makes you alive, a spiritual infant yes, but alive to grow and feed on His goodness, grace and mercy.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 12:15:03 PM

Sin, you can't have christianity without sin,

If Christainity were true, then it would have existed without sin until Eve questioned Jehovah's motives in the Garden.

and you can't have divine punishment without the sin to be the object of that divine punishment.

That's a fairness question. Christianity isn't about fairness. At least, some bible stories seem to have unfairness as their point. Look at the story of Job. The thing about the servant who didn't invest his talent. The women who didn't waste their candles by burning them when the master wasn't expected to return. The kids who mocked the bald man. And the Eden story. Not to mention eternal Hellfire. Fairness doesn't seem to come into it.

So what the hell is it ?

Doubt and disobedience of gods.

Before you answer sin is some sort of tresspass of the law (Gods law of course) I don't think you understand the question.

Whose fault would that be?

Does sin have any physical properties ?

No.

does it occupy time and space the same way an atom does ?

No.

cause as far as I know we have not found any physical substance of sin.

Right.

Is sin conceptual ? like mathematics, but that would mean sin only exists in the head so too speak the same way a flying pink unicorn exist.

Right.

It seems absurd to invoke divine punishment against a concept, shall we invoke divine punishment against the thought crime of 2+2 =5 ?

So you'd be happier if sin had specific gravity?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:18:01 PM
So what the hell is it ?

Sin is any kind of wrong doing. You can do wrong by violating some prohibition, or you can do wrong by neglecting some obligation. Here's how the Bible defines sin:

James 4:17 "Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it sins."

1 John 3:4 "Sin is lawlessness."

1 John 5:17 "All unrighteousness is sin."

Before you answer sin is some sort of tresspass of the law (Gods law of course) I don't think you understand the question.

D'oh!

Does sin have any physical properties?

No. "Sin" is an abstract noun, not a concrete noun. Sin is a property of action of inaction. It's not a "thing."

does it occupy time and space the same way an atom does ?

No.

cause as far as I know we have not found any physical substance of sin.

It's not a substance.

Is sin conceptual ?

It is abstract, like properties, propositions, numbers, values, etc.

like mathematics, but that would mean sin only exists in the head so too speak the same way a flying pink unicorn exist.

No, and no. Two grapefruits added to two grapefuits would result in four grapefruits whether anybody was around to think about it or not. And unicorns are not abstract entities. They are concrete, so that is not a good comparison.

It seems absurd to invoke divine punishment against a concept, shall we invoke divine punishment against the thought crime of 2+2 =5 ?

2+2=5 has no moral component, so it's an irrelevant comparison. Abstract concepts are the ONLY thing that can merit punishment. "Guilt," for example, is an abstract concept. Guilt isn't a substance floating around anywhere, but the only basis upon which punishment makes sense.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:23:46 PM

Sin isn't exactly just a concept. It's what certain actions are. So it's a war against certain actions. But I do agree that the general justice system of Christianity is screwed up.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 2:54:10 PM
1 Corinthians 11:27
So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

SIN weakens the body!!! verse #27 (above)
will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
PLUS..
30 That is why many among you are weak and sick,

Dogknox
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 10:01:29 AM
At 12/16/2012 2:54:10 PM, Dogknox wrote:
1 Corinthians 11:27
So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.
29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.
30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

SIN weakens the body!!! verse #27 (above)
will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
PLUS..

Dogknox

All sins are the result of rejecting God' will; God' will is, LOVE God and neighbor!!!

1 John 5:3
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome

1 John 5:2
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.

Jesus tells the Apostles they will lose salvation if they do NOT forgive others! (below)

Matthew 6:14
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Forgiving is actions of the heart, letting go of self for another!
Sins are actions against LOVE; Selfish actions!

Dogknox
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 5:15:41 PM
At 12/17/2012 10:01:29 AM, Dogknox wrote:

All sins are the result of rejecting God' will; God' will is, LOVE God and neighbor!!!

1 John 5:2
This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands.

Hey sleepy weak & sick sinner boy!

YOU & your Cult disobey every second of every day by e.g. having pagan idols and images erected & displayed in your Cult meeting dens of iniquity and disobediently flagrantly worshiping them e.g. jebus, Mary, apostles!

As you said about yourself & your fellow rapidly dwindling catholics -

You pagan idol worshipers you!

Your mentor & only literal Saviour moi!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2012 5:33:51 PM
At 12/16/2012 3:19:50 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

IF this ' He ' is truly in you, hence you are implying you are directly ' in its presence ', then why do those like YOU freely keep sinning regardless and shaming and disgracing yourselves freely & directly in its presence?

It is then even more absurd & irrational for those like YOU to then claim that those who do not have this ' He ' in them, are disbelievers & sinners; but then we know already that you hypocritically claimed this He is in YOU, but admit you are a flagrant & malignant sinner boy! regardless of its alleged internal presence?

Those like you have absolutely no ideological credibility!

Your mentor & successful Cult busting saviour moi!
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:49:01 AM

The best analogy I can give is that we do not keep the lifeless body of a relative around the house, however much they were loved, because there's no life in them.

Unless we are 'born again' spiritually, we have no life in us and are discarded into the outer darkness.

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour makes you alive, a spiritual infant yes, but alive to grow and feed on His goodness, grace and mercy.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:07:42 AM
At 12/18/2012 2:49:01 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

As you admit to remaining a malignant disobedient sinner boy, you are obviously stating you are in the absence of your god and it is NOT ' in you ' as you claimed?

I'll accept that!

Your mentor & successful vindicated Saviour!
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:11:43 AM
At 12/18/2012 2:49:01 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote: