Jump to topic:

Arguments for Theism as Opposed to Deism

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:09:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Are there any logical arguments for Christianity or other religions. Most arguments for a God,like Ontological, Kosmological or from Design, are arguments for a God in general, a deistic God.

So, I wonder, are there any logical arguments for certain sects of religions, like Catholic, Sunni Muslim, Mormon that are not based on "personal divine spiritual faith evidence"

I fail to see how people make the leap from, there is a God, to my religion and beliefs are right.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:14:26 PM
At 9/23/2012 8:08:10 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
One thing science and claimed discripancies can not overcome is amazingly accurate Biblical prophecies!
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:14:41 PM
Archeological, historic
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:23:38 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:09:40 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Are there any logical arguments for Christianity or other religions. Most arguments for a God,like Ontological, Kosmological or from Design, are arguments for a God in general, a deistic God.

So, I wonder, are there any logical arguments for certain sects of religions, like Catholic, Sunni Muslim, Mormon that are not based on "personal divine spiritual faith evidence"

I fail to see how people make the leap from, there is a God, to my religion and beliefs are right.

The argument from the resurrection is pretty specific. If that argument is sound, it would follow that the Christian God exists, and not just some general theistic or deistic god.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:24:36 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:23:38 PM, philochristos wrote:

The argument from the resurrection is pretty specific. If that argument is sound, it would follow that the Christian God exists, and not just some general theistic or deistic god.

The resurrection of Jesus, that is. I really wish there was an edit feature. I mess up almost every post I make.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:25:22 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:24:36 PM, philochristos wrote:

The resurrection of Jesus, that is. I really wish there was an edit feature. I mess up almost every post I make.

Well at least you increase your post count
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:25:49 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:25:22 PM, phantom wrote:

Well at least you increase your post count.

Fixed
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:25:56 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:14:26 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 9/23/2012 8:08:10 PM, ScottyDouglas wrote:
One thing science and claimed discripancies can not overcome is amazingly accurate Biblical prophecies!

Isaiah 52:1 "Awake, awake, O Zion, clothe yourself with strength. Put on your garments of splendor, O Jerusalem, the holy city. The uncircumcised and defiled will not enter you again."
FAIL: There are still uncircumcised people living in Jerusalem even today.

Ezekiel 30:10-11 "This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I will put an end to the hordes of Egypt by the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon. He and his army " the most ruthless of nations " will be brought in to destroy the land. They will draw their swords against Egypt and fill the land with the slain."

FAIL: Ezekiel predicts that Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon will conquer Egypt utterly destroying it, slaying and scattering its people. In 568 BCE Nebuchadnezzar tried to conquer Egypt and Egypt survived with no apparent damage. Aahmes ruled for another generation over a prosperous Egypt and lived to see Nebuchadnezzar die. The Egyptians were not scattered or dispersed.

Really? Prophecies? Nostradamus had amazing prophecies, would you base your life on a book written by him? Anyway, in enough time a lot of things will come true. However, I posted a couple of failed prophecies.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:29:05 PM

What is the argument for the Resurrection of Jesus Argument. Is it "The Bible says Jesus cam from back from death, so it's true"?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:33:14 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:29:05 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
What is the argument for the Resurrection of Jesus Argument. Is it "The Bible says Jesus cam from back from death, so it's true"?

No, it's actually a lot more involved than that. It treats the documents in the Bible like any other ancient document and applies historical/critical methods to it in order to draw conclusions from it. Here are a couple of books on the subject that both make historical arguments for the resurrection of Jesus, but they both come at it from different angles.

The Resurrection of the Son of God by N.T. Wright

http://www.amazon.com...

The Resurrection of Jesus: A New Historiographical Approach by Mike Licona

http://www.amazon.com...

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:34:35 PM

Is there an advantage to that? I actually prefer to have fewer posts because it makes it easier to find stuff later.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 1:38:21 PM
At 12/16/2012 1:34:35 PM, philochristos wrote:

Is there an advantage to that? I actually prefer to have fewer posts because it makes it easier to find stuff later.

No advantage unless you're like me and having higher post counts inflates your ego a little.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 2:29:34 PM

No logic, just personal revelation.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2012 4:30:45 PM
At 12/16/2012 2:29:34 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

You don't believe biblical inerrancy is a valid argument for Christianity? (I assume you're an inerrantists since you did a debate on it)
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:09:56 AM
At 12/16/2012 4:30:45 PM, phantom wrote:

You don't believe biblical inerrancy is a valid argument for Christianity? (I assume you're an inerrantists since you did a debate on it)

How can you believe it's inerrant with revelation that it is?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:10:41 AM
At 12/18/2012 3:09:56 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/16/2012 4:30:45 PM, phantom wrote:

How can you believe it's inerrant without revelation that it is?

Fixed.