Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What would you do if...

Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 11:40:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I wouldn't change my behaviour at all (although I don't beleive in Hell).

I don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I try and act morally, even though I don't beleive in Heaven or Hell, simply because a) I've been brought up morally, b) I know how rubbish it would be if people acted like aholes to me.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 11:56:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Unless by 'no consequence' you mean that God wouldn't care at all whether I followed Him or not, no.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
twocupcakes
Posts: 2,748
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:04:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I would consider becoming religious. As I find hell immoral, I do not consider most monotheistic religions, because I think infinite torture is immoral and would not condone a magic man who sends others to infinite torture.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:06:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:56:16 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Unless by 'no consequence' you mean that God wouldn't care at all whether I followed Him or not, no.

I only mean he wont send you to hell. Lets say he does care.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:08:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:40:12 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I wouldn't change my behaviour at all (although I don't beleive in Hell).

I don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I try and act morally, even though I don't beleive in Heaven or Hell, simply because a) I've been brought up morally, b) I know how rubbish it would be if people acted like aholes to me.

I appreciate your opinion but if you dont believe in hell this question rally isnt for you. However: don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I dont knw if I believe that. However I dont think you will find a christian to admit it either
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:12:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I would not fear Him the same.. And the fear of The Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Part of the eternal praise will be praising His righteous judgment.

We put dead people in the ground or burn them, God does the same with the spiritually dead: as Jesus said "you MUST be born again."
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:29:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
You say you would not fear him the same? As in if hell didnt exist you wouldn't follow God?
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:33:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:08:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:40:12 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I wouldn't change my behaviour at all (although I don't beleive in Hell).

I don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I try and act morally, even though I don't beleive in Heaven or Hell, simply because a) I've been brought up morally, b) I know how rubbish it would be if people acted like aholes to me.

I appreciate your opinion but if you dont believe in hell this question rally isnt for you. However: don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I dont knw if I believe that. However I dont think you will find a christian to admit it either

I can only speak from my perspective. What my friends, peers and parents would think was MUCH more present in my head than hell EVER was.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:34:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Nothing would change, because I have no fear or concern for hell..

Hell has nothing to do with why I'm a Christian, and has no bearing on my morality.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:35:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:29:57 PM, Df0512 wrote:
You say you would not fear him the same? As in if hell didnt exist you wouldn't follow God?

I would follow Him, yes.. But hell certainly helps with that..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:40:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:34:13 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Nothing would change, because I have no fear or concern for hell..

Hell has nothing to do with why I'm a Christian, and has no bearing on my morality.

So why are you a christain
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:44:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:33:47 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:08:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:40:12 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I wouldn't change my behaviour at all (although I don't beleive in Hell).

I don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I try and act morally, even though I don't beleive in Heaven or Hell, simply because a) I've been brought up morally, b) I know how rubbish it would be if people acted like aholes to me.

I appreciate your opinion but if you dont believe in hell this question rally isnt for you. However: don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I dont knw if I believe that. However I dont think you will find a christian to admit it either

I can only speak from my perspective. What my friends, peers and parents would think was MUCH more present in my head than hell EVER was.

You must have an interesting view on god. I was reading some of your other comments on other threads and its clear you do not subcribe to the conventional forms of christianity, but have similar beliefs.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:47:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:34:13 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Nothing would change, because I have no fear or concern for hell..

Hell has nothing to do with why I'm a Christian, and has no bearing on my morality.

It should do, and more importantly it should make you want to serve God saving others..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Ramshutu
Posts: 4,063
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:51:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:44:10 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:33:47 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:08:50 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:40:12 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

I wouldn't change my behaviour at all (although I don't beleive in Hell).

I don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I try and act morally, even though I don't beleive in Heaven or Hell, simply because a) I've been brought up morally, b) I know how rubbish it would be if people acted like aholes to me.

I appreciate your opinion but if you dont believe in hell this question rally isnt for you. However: don't think many Christians decide to act morally, even though they secretly want to rape and murder people, because they are afraid of going to hell.

I dont knw if I believe that. However I dont think you will find a christian to admit it either

I can only speak from my perspective. What my friends, peers and parents would think was MUCH more present in my head than hell EVER was.

You must have an interesting view on god. I was reading some of your other comments on other threads and its clear you do not subcribe to the conventional forms of christianity, but have similar beliefs.

When I was brought up Catholic, I was brought up beleiving that God was like a loving parent who has given me a choice to be good or bad. Unlike a lot of other people, I was taught that the most important rules to live your life by, were from the Serman on the Mount (among others), rather than Leviticus.

I don't beleive now, but if everyone lived by the fundamentals of what Jesus actually taught, rather than the ludicrus and peripheral non-issues that a number of people focus on (atheist and theists both); the world would be a MUCH better place.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 12:54:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:34:13 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Nothing would change, because I have no fear or concern for hell..

Hell has nothing to do with why I'm a Christian, and has no bearing on my morality.

IF you have no fear or concern for hell, why would go make it and send people there?
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:00:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain

Kind of makes a farce of that whole cosmic justice thing Kant talked about. Basically he argued that if God didn't exist (or if God didn't require antemortem punishment for at least some) moral obligations are grounded in impossible demands like virtue and happiness converging in the highest good. He said that if just "one vast tomb" covered both the saints and the wicked it's hard to see why moral behavior even ulimately matter. But if there are such things as moral obligations then surely they do matter
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:03:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:00:39 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain

Kind of makes a farce of that whole cosmic justice thing Kant talked about. Basically he argued that if God didn't exist (or if God didn't require antemortem punishment for at least some) moral obligations are grounded in impossible demands like virtue and happiness converging in the highest good. He said that if just "one vast tomb" covered both the saints and the wicked it's hard to see why moral behavior even ulimately matter. But if there are such things as moral obligations then surely they do matter

I dont agree with that. People should be moral because it is the right thing to do, not because of what would happen if they didn't. How moral would a person be if they were only moral to avoid punishment.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:03:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:00:39 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain

Kind of makes a farce of that whole cosmic justice thing Kant talked about. Basically he argued that if God didn't exist (or if God didn't require antemortem punishment for at least some) moral obligations are grounded in impossible demands like virtue and happiness converging in the highest good. He said that if just "one vast tomb" covered both the saints and the wicked it's hard to see why moral behavior even
ulimately matter. But if there are such things as moral obligations then surely they do matter

T;dr it's unfair that the wicked often prosper in this life with little to no blowack
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:04:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:06:02 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:56:16 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Unless by 'no consequence' you mean that God wouldn't care at all whether I followed Him or not, no.

I only mean he wont send you to hell. Lets say he does care.

Then no, nothing would change.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:05:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:03:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:00:39 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain

Kind of makes a farce of that whole cosmic justice thing Kant talked about. Basically he argued that if God didn't exist (or if God didn't require antemortem punishment for at least some) moral obligations are grounded in impossible demands like virtue and happiness converging in the highest good. He said that if just "one vast tomb" covered both the saints and the wicked it's hard to see why moral behavior even ulimately matter. But if there are such things as moral obligations then surely they do matter

I dont agree with that. People should be moral because it is the right thing to do, not because of what would happen if they didn't. How moral would a person be if they were only moral to avoid punishment.

Missed the point of the argument.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:41:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

God is eternal peace.

If we reject God then we reject eternal peace.

Annihilation is eternal peace.

Hence rejecting God is eternal torment.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:55:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:05:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:03:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:00:39 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain

Kind of makes a farce of that whole cosmic justice thing Kant talked about. Basically he argued that if God didn't exist (or if God didn't require antemortem punishment for at least some) moral obligations are grounded in impossible demands like virtue and happiness converging in the highest good. He said that if just "one vast tomb" covered both the saints and the wicked it's hard to see why moral behavior even ulimately matter. But if there are such things as moral obligations then surely they do matter

I dont agree with that. People should be moral because it is the right thing to do, not because of what would happen if they didn't. How moral would a person be if they were only moral to avoid punishment.

Missed the point of the argument.

Just because I dont agree doesnt mean I didnt get your point. I just dont agree. Even with the absence of hell and moral obligations, morality would still matter.
Df0512
Posts: 966
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 1:56:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:41:55 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

God is eternal peace.

If we reject God then we reject eternal peace.

Annihilation is eternal peace.

Hence rejecting God is eternal torment.

U dont see anything wrong with that logic?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:26:22 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:56:19 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:41:55 PM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

God is eternal peace.

If we reject God then we reject eternal peace.

Annihilation is eternal peace.

Hence rejecting God is eternal torment.

U dont see anything wrong with that logic?

Not until someone shows me..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 2:26:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 1:55:41 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:05:12 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:03:12 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 1:00:39 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:44:48 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:43:55 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If there were no hell that would suck pretty hard. (Granted I don't believe hell is eternal in the first place.)

No hell would suck? Please explain


Kind of makes a farce of that whole cosmic justice thing Kant talked about. Basically he argued that if God didn't exist (or if God didn't require antemortem punishment for at least some) moral obligations are grounded in impossible demands like virtue and happiness converging in the highest good. He said that if just "one vast tomb" covered both the saints and the wicked it's hard to see why moral behavior

even ulimately matter. But if there are such things as moral obligations then surely they do matter

I dont agree with that. People should be moral because it is the right thing to do, not because of what would happen if they didn't. How moral would a person be if they were only moral to avoid punishment

Missed the point of the argument

Just because I dont agree doesnt mean I didnt get your point. I just dont agree. Even with the absence of hell and moral obligations, morality would still matter.

Huh? Morality would still matter without moral obligations and requirements?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 3:54:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 12:40:24 PM, Df0512 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 12:34:13 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Nothing would change, because I have no fear or concern for hell..

Hell has nothing to do with why I'm a Christian, and has no bearing on my morality.

So why are you a christain

There is a more detailed and complex anwer, but I keep it simple:

Because God chose me to be a Christian.

(Eph. 1:4; Rom. 8:29-30; Rom. 9:11-12, etc)
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 5:50:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:56:16 AM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 12/18/2012 11:23:48 AM, Df0512 wrote:
What if there was no hell? God never created it, never said bad people would go there, al that. Would that change the way you follow your religion, if there was no consequence for not following his word?

Unless by 'no consequence' you mean that God wouldn't care at all whether I followed Him or not, no.

There are NO literal Supernatural god(s) and ALL Cults like yours have NO legitimate evidence otherwise!

ALL dupes like you do is vainly & selfishly claim to follow a few of the concepts of a few humans about mythical beings, in the hope of reaping brownie points of story book divine rewards!