Total Posts:107|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

5 Reasons Why I Hate Religion.

emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
philochristos
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 8:41:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

You should check out The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology. http://www.amazon.com...

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

What's wrong with wanting to hide your insecurities?

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

What religion teaches that? I know only of religions who acknowledge that we don't fully understand the world. But that is just a banal truth that no reasonable person denies.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

No, it's not.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's the only legitimate reason you've given to hate religion. But even this is a bad reason to hate religion in general since most religions don't do that.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
RationalMadman
Posts: 354
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 8:43:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

We didn't fight our way to the top of the food chain to be f***ng vegetarians.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 8:58:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Yeah. Taoism really is terrible, isn't it?!

(For those who somehow don't get it--I identify as a Taoist).
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:03:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

6. The Westboro Baptist Church.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:04:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

That's debatable. I'm not a theist but cuta-and-dry pronouncements like that don't work.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

People do that with everything. People recycle to feel like they're not fvcking mother Earth over as badly. People get married and have kids in order to conform to societies pre-conceived notions of what constitutes "normalcy". These aren't conceptual elements of recycling and family though, just possible contingencies. People do dumb stuff for dumb reasons. None of it is unique to religion.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Except that it's propagated as a certain understanding of the world. One that you disagree with but one nonetheless.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

Faith =/= religion. It's a contingent component which religion can live with or without.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

So is conservatism amirite? As with most of the previous points, your operating on contingencies that don't constitute any necessary part of religion qua religion.

That's all I can think of right now.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:17:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:04:41 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

That's debatable. I'm not a theist but cuta-and-dry pronouncements like that don't work.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

People do that with everything. People recycle to feel like they're not fvcking mother Earth over as badly. People get married and have kids in order to conform to societies pre-conceived notions of what constitutes "normalcy". These aren't conceptual elements of recycling and family though, just possible contingencies. People do dumb stuff for dumb reasons. None of it is unique to religion.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Except that it's propagated as a certain understanding of the world. One that you disagree with but one nonetheless.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

Faith =/= religion. It's a contingent component which religion can live with or without.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

So is conservatism amirite? As with most of the previous points, your operating on contingencies that don't constitute any necessary part of religion qua religion.

That's all I can think of right now.

Have I ever told you how awesome you are?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
ishallannoyyo
Posts: 1,034
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:17:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:03:23 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

Why is that wrong? People use internet accounts to hide insecurities, thus internet accounts are bad?


3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

No it doesn't, it encourages thought and the pursuit of knowledge.


4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

No, it isn't.


5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

See below.


6. The Westboro Baptist Church.

I hate it when people try to pull this crap. It isn't the religion's fault that these people do what they do. I could kill someone on the street and say "well I'm doing because I follow my countries constitution." Thus, Canada's constitution is bad??? NO.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:20:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.

which of these 5 reasons is the....'biggest' one for you? and which would you label the least important of the 5 or rather 'the smallest'?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:22:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Trouble is under the banner of "religion" includes so many different things no matter what you say about it some one can pull out a counter example.

To not set your self up as such an easy target to refute I would suggest something like....

1) I hate these elements that exist within religion......1,2,3,4,5.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:22:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:17:02 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/18/2012 9:04:41 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

That's debatable. I'm not a theist but cuta-and-dry pronouncements like that don't work.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

People do that with everything. People recycle to feel like they're not fvcking mother Earth over as badly. People get married and have kids in order to conform to societies pre-conceived notions of what constitutes "normalcy". These aren't conceptual elements of recycling and family though, just possible contingencies. People do dumb stuff for dumb reasons. None of it is unique to religion.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Except that it's propagated as a certain understanding of the world. One that you disagree with but one nonetheless.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

Faith =/= religion. It's a contingent component which religion can live with or without.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

So is conservatism amirite? As with most of the previous points, your operating on contingencies that don't constitute any necessary part of religion qua religion.

That's all I can think of right now.

Have I ever told you how awesome you are?

It couldn't hurt to say it more ;)
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Muted
Posts: 377
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:25:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

See philochristo

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

People who do not have insecurities are care-free or f00ls. Even eXperimenters have insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Like as though the world can be understood without religion. What about religions that advocate inquiry? Are they satisfied? Not all religions advocate being 'satisfied.' Are religions that advocate self-inflicted misry, hermit religions, 'satisfactory'? Hmm?

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

You have faith that your computer will not crash as you respond to this. There is such a thing as thinking faith. Faith is not blind, not always.
Pilots have faith in their craft, and i could go on and on.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

I know homophobes who are atheists. Does this make atheism a religion? Secular srates like the U.S.S.R. Used to be highly destructive. Vindicative. That's more like human characteristics.

That's all I can think of right now.
And according to you, this would be 'faith' in that you think it is sufficient for hate.
Exterminate!!!!!!-Dalek.

The ability to speak does not make you a competent debater.

One does not simply do the rain dance.
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
/end thread
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:32:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
/end thread
You're making good progress Ma'am! Next step: end your presence here. Off you go!
emospongebob527
Posts: 790
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:33:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:32:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
/end thread
You're making good progress Ma'am! Next step: end your presence here. Off you go!

We've already been down that road.
"not to toot my own horn (it aint need no tooin if u know what im saying), but my writings on "viciousness: the one true viture (fancy spelling for virtue)" and my poem "A poem I wrote about DDO" put me in a class of my damn own. im just an UNRECONGIZED geniuse" -bananafana
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:33:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
/end thread

Fear not, for in 3 days this thread shall rise again.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:36:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:33:19 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
At 12/18/2012 9:32:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
/end thread
You're making good progress Ma'am! Next step: end your presence here. Off you go!

We've already been down that road.
Santa will visit you this time if you deactivate your account. Believe me. I'm always right. Now, make the final step.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 9:45:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:32:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
/end thread
You're making good progress Ma'am! Next step: end your presence here. Off you go!

Why do you refer to males as ' Ma'am? '.
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 10:55:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
what's so bad about 1-4?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Apeiron
Posts: 2,446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2012 11:25:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

Alvin Plantinga listed about 22 good arguments and evidence for the existence of Christianity. Atheism has at most 4.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

And to get over them.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

Anselm: "ours is a faith which seeks understanding." Science bore out of philosophical theology. Newton said that getting rid of absolute time and space (whose existence was an 'immanent effect" of God) would inhibit our understanding of reality rather than enhance it. Today scientists are experiencing a "sea change" back to looking for an absolute frame and so along with that, in understanding reality, Newton's theistic considerations can't be ignored.

Spirituality constrained by sound theology makes philosophy redundant and science, trivial.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

See Anselm et al, where "et al" are the great philosophers and scientists of old, most of whom are theistic, and tell them they've failed to "think" because of their faith.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

Nah bro, that's called humanity. And it need salvation from itself- See Christ, the only God who in history died for his creation.

That's all I can think of right now.

Probably since new-atheistic faith caused you to make a virtue out of not thinking.
tulle
Posts: 4,445
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:35:59 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 9:28:29 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
I've been dismantled in my own thread and would like to walk away from the shame.
yang.
iamnotwhoiam
Posts: 171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:57:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:25:09 PM, Apeiron wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

Alvin Plantinga listed about 22 good arguments and evidence for the existence of Christianity.

What evidence did Plantinga list?
iamnotwhoiam
Posts: 171
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 12:59:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 11:25:09 PM, Apeiron wrote:

Spirituality constrained by sound theology makes philosophy redundant and science, trivial.

I'd love to debate on that exact topic. How about it?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:51:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.

Humans don't need religion for the above, consider how evolution theory was used by Hitler, does that make the theory evil?
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 1:59:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 1:51:05 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.

Humans don't need religion for the above, consider how evolution theory was used by Hitler, does that make the theory evil?

have you listened to people around here? that theory is obviously fvcking evil. and the dude who thought it up is famed for eating everything. i bet he ate man at some time.
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 2:04:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
like, i could deal with it fine outside of when it comes to consciousness, but when it does... wow... selfish genes, monkeys with only so many friends, survival of the fittest... what a load of fvcking evil!!
signature
DanielChristopherBlowes
Posts: 1,066
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 2:05:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 1:59:36 AM, badger wrote:
At 12/19/2012 1:51:05 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.

Humans don't need religion for the above, consider how evolution theory was used by Hitler, does that make the theory evil?

have you listened to people around here? that theory is obviously fvcking evil. and the dude who thought it up is famed for eating everything. i bet he ate man at some time.

You disappeared up you're own post modernism along time ago..
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 2:06:57 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
like, darkkermit for example is retarded. dude's gonna beat his children because that's survival of the fittest, regardless of what he's told otherwise. it's "instinctual". thank fvck he's ugly anyway.
signature
badger
Posts: 11,793
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 2:07:45 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 12/19/2012 2:05:05 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/19/2012 1:59:36 AM, badger wrote:
At 12/19/2012 1:51:05 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:
At 12/18/2012 8:36:03 PM, emospongebob527 wrote:
These are the five reasons why I hate religion.

1. It represents the pinnacle shift of all things devoid of evidence.

2. People use religion to hide their insecurities.

3. Religion teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.

4. Faith is making a virtue out of not thinking.

5. Religion is the fuel to the fires of homophobia, misogyny, destruction, bigotry and vindication.

That's all I can think of right now.

Humans don't need religion for the above, consider how evolution theory was used by Hitler, does that make the theory evil?

have you listened to people around here? that theory is obviously fvcking evil. and the dude who thought it up is famed for eating everything. i bet he ate man at some time.

You disappeared up you're own post modernism along time ago..

mine's not fvcking evil.
signature