Jump to topic:

Atheists have no absolute reason to be moral

errya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:23:47 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Atheists have no absolute reason to be moral. Many choose to be, and I respect that. But without God, how can your morality be, well... moral? You have no objective moral standard to measure yourself against. Any act of morality must be measured to your own subjective standards. eg. "According to my own opinion, what I just did is moral."

Of course there are problems with this line of thinking. If it were truly implemented it would be disastrous. Any would be able to get away with anything because morality is considered to be subjective. The police and justice systems would be powerless. Criminals would be free to roam the streets, doing whatever they like. Even some of those people who were previously moral would probably be swayed by this idea, and take to the streets. What follows is the inevitable collapse of civilization.

So, on that note, I challenge all Atheists to come up with an objective moral standard, without invoking God. If one cannot, I think we can safely conclude that Atheism is DANGEROUS, as it would cause the collapse of civilization if implemented into society.

Good Luck!
The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bront" in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Ord...
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:34:10 AM
At 12/19/2012 3:23:47 AM, errya wrote:
Atheists have no absolute reason to be moral. Many choose to be, and I respect that. But without God, how can your morality be, well... moral? You have no objective moral standard to measure yourself against. Any act of morality must be measured to your own subjective standards. eg. "According to my own opinion, what I just did is moral."

Of course there are problems with this line of thinking. If it were truly implemented it would be disastrous. Any would be able to get away with anything because morality is considered to be subjective. The police and justice systems would be powerless. Criminals would be free to roam the streets, doing whatever they like. Even some of those people who were previously moral would probably be swayed by this idea, and take to the streets. What follows is the inevitable collapse of civilization.

So, on that note, I challenge all Atheists to come up with an objective moral standard, without invoking God. If one cannot, I think we can safely conclude that Atheism is DANGEROUS, as it would cause the collapse of civilization if implemented into society.

Good Luck!

do unto others as you would have done unto yourself - God.

dude was sensible outside of not being real.
signature
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:36:40 AM
Think about what you are saying when you talk about being "moral". When you think in more detail about this "morality" you are talking about I think you will see how this whole God = reason to be moral, No God = No reason to be moral isn't so clear cut, and in some examples can be the exact opposite.

So when you make the charge about atheists have no reason to be "moral" explain what you mean by moral.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:39:23 AM
well there's nothing to say we shouldn't go for killing a couple of hundred thousand people if it's to profit us and we can get away with it... there's a bit of an emptiness there all right. fill it with your love though!! ...and then hope everyone else does the same.
signature
TheTraditionalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:45:55 AM

Good Luck!

You do realize that atheists are under-represented in prisons across the world (except possible in countries where atheism is a crime), right?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:49:36 AM
At 12/19/2012 3:45:55 AM, TheTraditionalist wrote:

Good Luck!

You do realize that atheists are under-represented in prisons across the world (except possible in countries where atheism is a crime), right?

that's possibly just because they're all still nerds at the moment.
signature
TheTraditionalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:49:58 AM

Good Luck!

As for the objective moral standard bit, many atheists have. Many atheists believe that our moral code should be drawn on the basis of consent; an action is immoral if it harms or impugns another individual without their consent.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:52:40 AM
imagine it was announced on television, news all over the world : "There is no God, 100% verified".

riots and looting would ensue. no denying it.

that'd be like the ultimate power outage...

lol
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 3:53:49 AM
At 12/19/2012 3:49:58 AM, TheTraditionalist wrote:

Good Luck!

As for the objective moral standard bit, many atheists have. Many atheists believe that our moral code should be drawn on the basis of consent; an action is immoral if it harms or impugns another individual without their consent.

i like that.
signature
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:07:32 AM
Morality is made up by humans, just like God.
kthxbai.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
GOD-vs-ITSELF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:12:49 AM
At 12/19/2012 3:34:10 AM, badger wrote:

Good Luck!

I don't think do unto others is in the bible. Even if it was it would still be relative. No moral system can account for all living things there is a necessary level of misery of which our bodies themselves are apart of on a microscopic level.
If You Believe In Free Will, Then Don't Picture A Hippo For One Minute. Starting NOW
TheTraditionalist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:15:10 AM
At 12/19/2012 4:12:49 AM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Good Luck!

I don't think do unto others is in the bible. Even if it was it would still be relative. No moral system can account for all living things there is a necessary level of misery of which our bodies themselves are apart of on a microscopic level.

lolwut?
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:15:40 AM
At 12/19/2012 4:12:49 AM, GOD-vs-ITSELF wrote:

Good Luck!

deal in consciousness.
signature
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:20:19 AM
You're right, we have no "absolute" reason to be moral, in the grand, universal scheme things. This may sound horrendous, but it is what it is.

From an evolutionary point of view, human being have to be selfish, as this gives individuals more of an ability to survive. However, as we are social creatures an individuals survival is inextricably linked to the survival of the group we are in. If everyone was fundementally selfish, the group would fail and everyone would suffer as a result. This has meant that humans (and pretty much ANY social animal including Meerkats, Chimpanzees, Vampire Bats, etc) have evolved emotions and responses that constrain and manage our behaviour in order for us to fit in to the group we are part of.

Fundamentally, this is what Morality is.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:26:27 AM
Yeah, because following what god thinks is moral is a totally objective system of morals. It's not like, you know, the definition of 'objective' is that it's true regardless of what anyone thinks.
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:28:23 AM

Good Luck!

Gods invisible attributes are clear to all; we all know certain actions lead to disaster.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 4:38:52 AM
At 12/19/2012 4:28:23 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

Good Luck!

Gods invisible attributes are clear to all; we all know certain actions lead to disaster.

And I have $10bn.

Okay, now that we have established that just because we say something does't make it true, I would like to point out that what you have just said is plain ridiculous.

The distribution of all different faiths, and the significant change in how God has been worshiped in the last 2000 years is a testament to how unclear the concept of God is.
Microsuck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 7:24:04 AM

Good Luck!

So, is X good because God said so or is X good because X is already good?

"Morality is part of human nature and...an effective adaptation. Why should we forego morality any more than we should put out our eyes?"

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net...
Wall of Fail

Devil worship much? - SD
Newsflash: Atheists do not believe in the Devil! - Me
Newsflash: I doesnt matter if you think you do or not.....You do - SD

"you [imabench] are very naive and so i do not consider your opinions as having any merit. you must still be in highschool" - falconduler
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 9:52:14 AM
At 12/19/2012 4:20:19 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
You're right, we have no "absolute" reason to be moral, in the grand, universal scheme things. This may sound horrendous, but it is what it is.

From an evolutionary point of view, human being have to be selfish, as this gives individuals more of an ability to survive. However, as we are social creatures an individuals survival is inextricably linked to the survival of the group we are in. If everyone was fundementally selfish, the group would fail and everyone would suffer as a result. This has meant that humans (and pretty much ANY social animal including Meerkats, Chimpanzees, Vampire Bats, etc) have evolved emotions and responses that constrain and manage our behaviour in order for us to fit in to the group we are part of.

Fundamentally, this is what Morality is.

If we just become worm food after we die, why should I care about the survival of the group?? That's meaningless to me. How does a groups survival benefit anyone, in the long run?? I'm just going to get mine while I'm alive and y'all can fend for yourselves. I'm gonna rape and pillage, and no one has any right to tell me that I'm not acting morally because your morality has no authority over mine.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 9:54:47 AM
At 12/19/2012 7:24:04 AM, Microsuck wrote:

Good Luck!

So, is X good because God said so or is X good because X is already good?

"Morality is part of human nature and...an effective adaptation. Why should we forego morality any more than we should put out our eyes?"

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net...

This point has been rebutted already by Reason_Alliance & is why you lost the debate with him. Why then do you continue to use old arguments?
DudeWithoutTheE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 9:55:48 AM
The problem of morality exists, but let's get real here. It doesn't matter. If Atheism is true and there is no absolute morality, then there's no absolute morality, but so what? True things don't stop being true because they have unfortunate consequences. The atheist conception of death is generally held to be worse than the idea of Heaven by most atheists, with some exceptions. Doesn't mean Heaven's true.

Plus, it's not clear that the morality of the Bible/Qu'ran etc is actually preferable to a completely man-made morality based on mutual self-interest with the principle that most people or the worst off people are better off under it, given their positions on slavery etc. So the morality you're promoting is not absolute but arbitrary.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 9:57:10 AM

Good Luck!

Without objective morality we have no defense against baby killing as a means of birth control, euthenasia, eugenics, genetic manipulation, etc.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 10:02:25 AM
At 12/19/2012 9:55:48 AM, DudeWithoutTheE wrote:
The problem of morality exists, but let's get real here. It doesn't matter. If Atheism is true and there is no absolute morality, then there's no absolute morality, but so what? True things don't stop being true because they have unfortunate consequences. The atheist conception of death is generally held to be worse than the idea of Heaven by most atheists, with some exceptions. Doesn't mean Heaven's true.

Plus, it's not clear that the morality of the Bible/Qu'ran etc is actually preferable to a completely man-made morality based on mutual self-interest with the principle that most people or the worst off people are better off under it, given their positions on slavery etc. So the morality you're promoting is not absolute but arbitrary.

This is a great point. My only reservation is in being skeptical over moral truths however, is that they seem properly basic and therefore foundational. Thus if I were to deny them, then I equally have to be as skeptical of many other foundational beliefs, like the existence of the external world, etc.

And so this is why I think it remains more reasonable to believe in the existence of moral truths than not. Even though you're right, even IF they don't exist, we're still more rational to believe in them, and therefore God.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 10:15:56 AM
At 12/19/2012 10:02:25 AM, Apeiron wrote:
At 12/19/2012 9:55:48 AM, DudeWithoutTheE wrote:

This is a great point. My only reservation is in being skeptical over moral truths however, is that they seem properly basic and therefore foundational. Thus if I were to deny them, then I equally have to be as skeptical of many other foundational beliefs, like the existence of the external world, etc.

And so this is why I think it remains more reasonable to believe in the existence of moral truths than not. Even though you're right, even IF they don't exist, we're still more rational to believe in them, and therefore God.

Does not compute.

The world need not be logical and rational. Believing that it is so is not necessarily the more "rational" choice.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 10:24:10 AM
There are so many sects of theism that using God as a tenant for morality is equally as problematic as using humanist values. After all, you are limited to your HUMAN interpretation of God (and many cultures, even various sects of the same religion eg. Christianity) have completely different ideas about what is or isn't moral according to God. There are also innumerable deities that people worship. Which God should you be following? What if your interpretation is wrong? Either way, your perspective on morality comes down to your own judgment whether you are atheist or theist.
President of DDO
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2012 10:32:38 AM
Atheists have no absolute reason to be moral.

I love the way that Christians try to prove their moral superiority by pretending that---aside from the fact that they like taking orders from an invisible eccentric---they can't think of any reasons to be moral.

Many choose to be, and I respect that.

Oh, thank you.

But without God, how can your morality be, well... moral?

What do gods have to do with it?

You have no objective moral standard to measure yourself against.

How do you figure?

Any act of morality must be measured to your own subjective standards. eg. "According to my own opinion, what I just did is moral."

How is it different with gods?

Of course there are problems with this line of thinking. If it were truly implemented it would be disastrous. Any would be able to get away with anything because morality is considered to be subjective.

I've never understood this argument. Which is better: a subjective morality that forbids rape, or an objective morality that encourages it? What is supposed to be good about "objective" morality?

The police and justice systems would be powerless.

Yeah, I'll let you explain that to them.

Criminals would be free to roam the streets, doing whatever they like.

Subjectivity somehow causes this? How does that work?

Even some of those people who were previously moral would probably be swayed by this idea, and take to the streets. What follows is the inevitable collapse of civilization.

Inevitable collapse of civilization, comes about how? What do you even mean by "objective"?

So, on that note, I challenge all Atheists to come up with an objective moral standard, without invoking God.

You first! Demonstrate that you can do what you're challenging us to do. It'll be easy for us to it just as well without gods as you do it with your god. (I've been throwing this challenge back in Christian's faces for decades, and none of them ever tries to do it. They just equivocate on the word "objective," trying to make me use one definition while they get to use another.)

If one cannot, I think we can safely conclude that Atheism is DANGEROUS, as it would cause the collapse of civilization if implemented into society.

You should be concluding that theists are dangerous. They are the ones who can't think of any reason to be good unless they believe absurdities.

Good Luck!

Right back at you.