Jump to topic:

Australian Fatwa against Merry Christmas

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 8:26:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a 'sin' to even wish people a Merry Christmas."

"The fatwa quotes the teacher Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim as saying that congratulating disbelievers for their rituals is forbidden, and if a "Muslim who says this does not become a disbeliever himself, he at least commits a sin as this is the same as congratulating him for his belief in the trinity, which is a greater sin and much more disliked by Almighty Allaah than congratulating him for drinking alcohol or killing a soul or committing fornication or adultery"

http://www.theage.com.au...
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2012 11:33:44 PM
At 12/22/2012 10:47:21 PM, Mirza wrote:
Even better that it annoys you! Maybe you'll get a heart attack next time a similar fatwa is issued.

That seems kinda of harsh.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 5:04:45 AM
Thank God...all this end of the world stuff was really cutting into the war on Christmas, and neither side has been doing their part to keep this important battle in the foreground where it belongs.

Now that the world failed to meet its regularly scheduled demise, I expect both sides in this war to really kick it into gear with just 2 days of hyperbolic rhetoric until Christmas.

MORE! I DEMAND MORE!
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Amica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 6:14:20 AM
At 12/22/2012 8:26:52 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
"THE Lakemba Mosque has issued a fatwa against Christmas, warning followers it is a 'sin' to even wish people a Merry Christmas."

"The fatwa quotes the teacher Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim as saying that congratulating disbelievers for their rituals is forbidden, and if a "Muslim who says this does not become a disbeliever himself, he at least commits a sin as this is the same as congratulating him for his belief in the trinity, which is a greater sin and much more disliked by Almighty Allaah than congratulating him for drinking alcohol or killing a soul or committing fornication or adultery"

http://www.theage.com.au...

You pose a very good question. As a Muslim, just last year, I heard of such fatwa/instruction that wishing people a Merry Christmas is a sin. I can understand the rationale behind it (e.g. congratulating a person in unbelief), but I personally believe there is a difference in celebrating vs. wishing someone the best. If I engage in a religious celebration or ritual that goes against my faith, I believe that would be a sin for me to do. However, if I know someone of another faith has a holiday, I think it is polite and respectful to send them good wishes of health and peace. It is called being a good neighbor to those who believe different. Of course, many Muslims would disagree with me. However, I am not alone in my perspective.