Jump to topic:

Contradictions?

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 6:10:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
That video posts a few contradictions in the Bible. Just wondering how would a Christian andwer to them, because I have no sufficient knowledge over the topic...
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:01:28 PM
In the case that A contradicts B......

A applies to situation Z

B does not apply to situation Z

Contradiction solved.

You can pretty resolve any contradiction like this by invoking the "context" clause.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2012 7:09:38 PM
At 12/23/2012 7:01:28 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
In the case that A contradicts B......

A applies to situation Z

B does not apply to situation Z

Contradiction solved.

You can pretty resolve any contradiction like this by invoking the "context" clause.

If so, I just want the context explained. Also, I don't think that every contradiction mentioned can be just disregarded using context as a defense.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 8:01:21 AM
My computer is bizarre when it comes to videos sometimes, so if someone could post the contradictions it would be much appreciated.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
TrasguTravieso
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2012 10:14:47 AM
Most of the supposed contradictions are not contradictory on the face of them, most of them taking the fact that something is not mentioned as proof it was denied. A fallacy however you cut it

1. In Mathew it doesn't say that they resided ONLY after. It merely says they resided there after returning from Egipt. To take this to mean they didn't live there before is to will contradictions where there are none.

2. The angel can appear to Joseph and to Mary at different times. I have spoken to many people in the course of my life, my speaking to one does not disprove my speaking to the others. The fact that one evangelist mentions one appearance and not the other is not a contradiction.

3. Most of what is popularly believed about the three wise men comes from tradition and not the bible. The fact that most of the tradition isn't mentioned once again is not a contradiction, but silence. Mathew's shepherds similarly do not negate the wise men, as more than one group could visit, without every visit being recorded in each Gospel account.

4. The hebrew word for maiden presupposes virginity. This is reading in present day aberrations into past cultures. It would not occur to a Jew (or a Westerner until recently) that to refer to someone as a maiden not be a reference to her virginity as well.

5. The lineages have obviously symbolic numbers in them and abridge the lineage in order to transmit a different meaning to their intended audience. The people at the time understood this symbolic meaning quite well, and to wish to read it literally is to think that someone who is saying it rains cats and dogs is talking about animal cruelty rather than a storm.

6. There are many different ways in which to get over the apparent contradiction of the time of birth. One is to mention that a census in those times would take up to even 40 years (as the one in Gaule did). In this case it is plausible that the census that finished in the time of Quirinius could have taken place in the time of Herod. There are other explanations, but sufice to say that each of them are more plausible than the Gospel writers of the small christian community getting their dates so mixed up without someone attempting to correct them. Also, the region was semi-autonomous, so the census would be carried out, but it would be carried out by their own rules, not exactly Rome's.

7. Mathew says the visitors went to see the child in a house while Luke says the child was born in a manger shortly upon arrival. It is more than likely that Joseph would seek to find his family more acceptable accommodations as soon as he could. So the child could be born in the manger, move into the house and receive visits there as well. No contradiction.

8. Mathew mentions the flight to Egipt and Luke doesn't. Luke does not say the "immediately" return to Nazareth, merely that they do. No contradiction, simply omission of what that particular Evangelist either wasn't aware of or did not deem important enough to write.

9. The town of Nazareth may not be mentioned in the Old Testament (neither are many other towns and cities in the area) but this is not evidence of its nonexistence. Modern archaeology has ponted to various places which may be Nazareth. In any case contemporaries did not seem to doubt the existence of the town Jesus is said to have been raised in.

All of these are arguments from silence and seem to be grasping at straws. I won't go into the rest of the video because the question was specifically about the bit with the supposed biblical contradictions. The rest is just as bad, though. Half-truths and half-baked ideas put together to make a whole with a generous dosing of fallacious logic to hold it together.