Jump to topic:

What does God need with a starship ?

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:23:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I suppose people take different things from this, as with most things in life. Here is what I get out of it...

Mankind is plauge with claims not from the divine its self, but rather men (and who knows maybe a few other things out there), of what the divine, in this case God wants, of course cause they know what the divine wants.

if God wanted some one dead why not do it its self , why does God as some people believe has or even to this present day demand that some people go over there and kill other people? if God wants to go some where why not just do that, its God after all............what does God need with a starship ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:39:58 PM
I wonder if chickens go into cock fights thinking, "If the human wants one of us dead, why don't they just kill us themselves? Why the spectacle?"

I don't think there's much use in speculating on why God did things a certain way rather than another. If God reveals his reasons to us, then perhaps we can know them. But if he doesn't, then we're not in a good position to speculate with any confidence. So we can't draw any conclusion from our ignorance of God's motives.

A strong Biblical case can be made that the ultimate reason for everything God does is for the praise of his own glory.[1] And in some cases, the Bible tells us exactly how something God does or allows to happen results in his glorification. In most of those cases, we never could've guessed it ourselves if he hadn't told us. But in the majority of cases, the Bible doesn't tell us at all. And certainly in our every day lives, he doesn't tell us. So there's no reason to think we could guess.

[1] http://www.prayermeetings.org...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:46:44 PM
At 12/26/2012 9:39:58 PM, philochristos wrote:
I wonder if chickens go into cock fights thinking, "If the human wants one of us dead, why don't they just kill us themselves? Why the spectacle?"

So, God is a sadistic and malicious bastard? Won't argue that.

I don't think there's much use in speculating on why God did things a certain way rather than another. If God reveals his reasons to us, then perhaps we can know them. But if he doesn't, then we're not in a good position to speculate with any confidence. So we can't draw any conclusion from our ignorance of God's motives.

Ah, so your real answer is, "I don't know, so don't bother thinking about it. Just hush and eat your fake Jesus body crackers."

A strong Biblical case can be made that the ultimate reason for everything God does is for the praise of his own glory.[1] And in some cases, the Bible tells us exactly how something God does or allows to happen results in his glorification. In most of those cases, we never could've guessed it ourselves if he hadn't told us. But in the majority of cases, the Bible doesn't tell us at all. And certainly in our every day lives, he doesn't tell us. So there's no reason to think we could guess.

Ah, got it now, your real answer is, either the Bible is right, or we don't know so don't talk about it.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:50:08 PM
At 12/26/2012 9:46:44 PM, drafterman wrote:

Ah, so your real answer is, "I don't know, so don't bother thinking about it. Just hush and eat your fake Jesus body crackers."

Nothing wrong with saying I don't know. Just like atheists should realize science has its limitations in explaining the universe, theists should realize they have limitations in understanding God.

Ah, got it now, your real answer is, either the Bible is right, or we don't know so don't talk about it.

"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 9:54:37 PM

I knew somebody would miss my point in exactly this way.

Close. My real answer is, "I don't know, so we can't draw any conclusion about it."

No.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:04:57 PM

This assumes that various claims of the divine as claimed in the bible are all true, tsk tsk.

What does God need with a scirbe ? why can't God speak for its self ? why does God need a starship ?

"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:08:47 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:04:57 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
This assumes that various claims of the divine as claimed in the bible are all true, tsk tsk.

Your questions assume the same thing.

What does God need with a scirbe ? why can't God speak for its self ? why does God need a starship ?

I have already addressed questions like these. We don't know, and nothing follows from the fact that we don't know except that God hasn't told us.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:11:02 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:08:47 PM, philochristos wrote:

What is this same assumption ?

I have already addressed questions like these. We don't know, and nothing follows from the fact that we don't know except that God hasn't told us.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:13:09 PM
Star Trek V sucked, except for the Jerry Goldsmith score.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:15:47 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:11:02 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Any question that takes the form, "Why did God do X," assumes that God did X. When you ask a question that takes the form, "If God did X, then why?" we have to assume a scenario in which God did X in order to answer the question. So it is silly for you to object to my answer on the basis that I'm assuming the Bible portrays God accurately. The fact that you would raise such a silly objection makes me wonder if this is even a serious conversation. I'm trying to take you seriously, though.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:17:13 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:08:47 PM, philochristos wrote:

The question assumed the Biblical account of God and His divine intervention is true, but then explored God's rationale for "doing things" a certain way. That presupposes God "did these things" to begin with.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:20:03 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:15:47 PM, philochristos wrote:

Any question that takes the form, "Why did God do X," assumes that God did X. When you ask a question that takes the form, "If God did X, then why?" we have to assume a scenario in which God did X in order to answer the question. So it is silly for you to object to my answer on the basis that I'm assuming the Bible portrays God accurately. The fact that you would raise such a silly objection makes me wonder if this is even a serious conversation. I'm trying to take you seriously, though.

How literal of you.

There is some reductio involved in asking why goes God want a spaceship.

Hint) It probably ain't God asking for a spaceship
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:23:14 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:20:03 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
There is some reductio involved in asking why goes God want a spaceship.

Hint) It probably ain't God asking for a spaceship

This is exactly why I made the point I made. We cannot draw conclusions like this merely on our ignorance of God's motives. You are doing exactly with I figured you were trying to do, and my original point already addressed this.

iamnotwhoiam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:38:25 PM

A strong Biblical case can be made that the ultimate reason for everything God does is for the praise of his own glory.[1]

So that humans will praise him (even though they don't know why he does most of the things he does)?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 10:57:22 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:38:25 PM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:

A strong Biblical case can be made that the ultimate reason for everything God does is for the praise of his own glory.[1]

So that humans will praise him (even though they don't know why he does most of the things he does)?

Finally, a good question. Human praise is part of what glorifies God, but it's not the whole kit and kaboodle. So it's not necessary for humans to know the reasons for everything God does before he can be glorified. He can be glorified by the praise of angels. He can be glorified for the mere demonstration of his attributes even if nobody praises him for them. But he can also be glorified by human praise some time in the future if and when he reveals the reasons for why he did certain things. We need not know his reasons now. The Bible tells us that God does everything for his own glory, but it doesn't tell us how each thing God does results in his glorification.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:04:00 PM
At 12/26/2012 10:57:22 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 12/26/2012 10:38:25 PM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:

Finally, a good question. Human praise is part of what glorifies God, but it's not the whole kit and kaboodle. So it's not necessary for humans to know the reasons for everything God does before he can be glorified. He can be glorified by the praise of angels. He can be glorified for the mere demonstration of his attributes even if nobody praises him for them. But he can also be glorified by human praise some time in the future if and when he reveals the reasons for why he did certain things. We need not know his reasons now. The Bible tells us that God does everything for his own glory, but it doesn't tell us how each thing God does results in his glorification.

Can God achieve this "glory" that you speak of say without the existence of say....

1) Baby cancer
2) A deer that dies in a bushfire
3) Well hell I suppose this could become a very long list........

1) If yes, then why do they exist ? Does this being permit unnecessary suffering ?

2) If no, then why not ? can't this almighty being figure out any other way ?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:15:14 AM
At 12/26/2012 11:01:47 PM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:
Does he send people to everlasting hell for his own glory?

Yes.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:19:00 AM
At 12/26/2012 11:04:00 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
Can God achieve this "glory" that you speak of say without the existence of say....

1) Baby cancer
2) A deer that dies in a bushfire
3) Well hell I suppose this could become a very long list........

1) If yes, then why do they exist ? Does this being permit unnecessary suffering ?

2) If no, then why not ? can't this almighty being figure out any other way ?

Since everything that happens results in God's glory, I can only deduce that if each of those things failed to happen, that would diminish the glorification by however much he would've been glorified if it happened. So although God would be glorified if 1, 2, and 3 never happened (since there are lots of other things that glorify him), he would not be glorified by the same amount or in the same ways.

iamnotwhoiam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 2:56:26 AM
At 12/27/2012 2:15:14 AM, philochristos wrote:

Yes.

And is there any reason why God must act for his own glory?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 7:50:45 AM
At 12/26/2012 9:50:08 PM, phantom wrote:

Nothing wrong with saying I don't know.

Agreed. But there is plenty wrong with saying there isn't much use in thinking about it.

Just like atheists should realize science has its limitations in explaining the universe, theists should realize they have limitations in understanding God.

Pick any concept for which we are currently scientifically ignorant and quote me a scientist (in the relevant field) saying anything along the lines of: "I don't think there's much use in speculating on why things are certain way rather than another."

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 7:52:54 AM
At 12/26/2012 9:54:37 PM, philochristos wrote:

Then why did you go with that analogy?

Close. My real answer is, "I don't know, so we can't draw any conclusion about it."

Well, no, that wasn't your answer. You said there is no use to speculation. There is plenty of value in speculation, even if we can't ever find the ultimate answer with any degree of certainty.

Regarding this new answer, why does your personal ignorance mean no one else can draw and conclusions? Maybe you can't draw and conclusions.

No.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 8:49:25 AM
At 12/27/2012 2:56:26 AM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:

Yes.

Yes. It's because there is no higher good, and he is perfectly good.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 8:54:46 AM
At 12/27/2012 7:52:54 AM, drafterman wrote:

Because it was a good illustration of the point I wanted to make, and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Well, no, that wasn't your answer. You said there is no use to speculation. There is plenty of value in speculation, even if we can't ever find the ultimate answer with any degree of certainty.

This is what I said: "I don't think there's much use in speculating on why God did things a certain way rather than another. If God reveals his reasons to us, then perhaps we can know them. But if he doesn't, then we're not in a good position to speculate with any confidence. So we can't draw any conclusion from our ignorance of God's motives."

Regarding this new answer, why does your personal ignorance mean no one else can draw and conclusions? Maybe you can't draw and conclusions.

I didn't say my personal ignorance of God's motives means no one else can draw conclusions.

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 9:00:30 AM
At 12/27/2012 8:54:46 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 12/27/2012 7:52:54 AM, drafterman wrote:

Because it was a good illustration of the point I wanted to make, and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Can you think of one that doesn't make God out to be a bastard in some fashion? I'm willing to bet you can't. And that say something about the proposed situation.

This is what I said: "I don't think there's much use in speculating on why God did things a certain way rather than another. If God reveals his reasons to us, then perhaps we can know them. But if he doesn't, then we're not in a good position to speculate with any confidence. So we can't draw any conclusion from our ignorance of God's motives."

Yes, we can't draw conclusions, ergo there isn't any use in speculating about it, ergo, don't think about it.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong and Wrong.

I didn't say my personal ignorance of God's motives means no one else can draw conclusions.

Yes you did. You said you don't know, therefore we can't draw conclusions.
iamnotwhoiam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 9:25:44 AM
At 12/27/2012 8:49:25 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 12/27/2012 2:56:26 AM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:

Yes.

Yes. It's because there is no higher good, and he is perfectly good.

So subjecting people to everlasting torture must be done because it is an expression of the perfect good. Christian theology can sure turn morality completely upside down. Just more confirmation that Christianity is a diseased philosophy.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 9:33:36 AM

Yeah, but chickens don't go to cock fights, roosters do.

At 12/26/2012 10:13:09 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Star Trek V sucked, except for the Jerry Goldsmith score.
Compared to ST4, it really wasn't that bad at all! Time travel to save the whales in the past in order to save the earth in the future...JEEZZ. However, ST2 is the pinnacle of Star Trek and possibly the best if not one of the best SciFi movies of all time!!! Try this: watch "Space Seed" (original ST episode with Khan) and then watch "ST2: Wrath of Kahn" back to back...it's awesome! To see those two egos trying to out do each other; the "over-acting"; priceless!
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 10:40:10 AM
At 12/27/2012 9:00:30 AM, drafterman wrote:
Can you think of one that doesn't make God out to be a bastard in some fashion? I'm willing to bet you can't. And that say something about the proposed situation.

The illustration doesn't make God out to be a bastard in any fashion. The illustration is not about God. It's about us. The point of the illustration is to explain our state of knowledge.

Yes you did. You said you don't know, therefore we can't draw conclusions.

Oh, you're right. I stand corrected. My ignorance of God's motives doesn't have anything to do with other people's inability to draw conclusions about God. Their ignorance does.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 10:41:47 AM
At 12/27/2012 9:25:44 AM, iamnotwhoiam wrote:
So subjecting people to everlasting torture must be done because it is an expression of the perfect good. Christian theology can sure turn morality completely upside down. Just more confirmation that Christianity is a diseased philosophy.

It's not upside down. People are punished for their wrong-doing, and God is glorified in the demonstration of his justice.

philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 10:42:41 AM
At 12/27/2012 9:33:36 AM, tBoonePickens wrote:
Yeah, but chickens don't go to cock fights, roosters do.

My bad. LOL