Jump to topic:

John Hick.

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2012 11:49:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'm interested in John Hick's writings on epistemology. Could anyone who reads him recommend some material?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 1:35:27 AM
Hick was awesome. I agreed and disagreed with his views heavily but he always had good stuff to say whether he was wrong or not.

Here's a general over view of his views:

http://www.iep.utm.edu...

Were you looking for something more specific?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 12:25:31 AM
One of my favorite philosopher-theologians, up there with Maimonides and Aquinas and Kierkegaard. This is my favorite writing by Hick - http://mind.ucsd.edu... . It is entitled Evil and Soul-making. I am an atheist but after reading and understanding this, I could never accept again that the problem of evil disproves the existence of God. (I'd say it pokes him holes and raises some important and powerful questions, though.) Of course, his answer only makes sense if you pre-suppose God's existence, but that's fine, how else could one make such a defense? Really stellar stuff.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 6:05:18 AM
At 12/28/2012 12:25:31 AM, jat93 wrote:
One of my favorite philosopher-theologians, up there with Maimonides and Aquinas and Kierkegaard. This is my favorite writing by Hick - http://mind.ucsd.edu... . It is entitled Evil and Soul-making. I am an atheist but after reading and understanding this, I could never accept again that the problem of evil disproves the existence of God. (I'd say it pokes him holes and raises some important and powerful questions, though.) Of course, his answer only makes sense if you pre-suppose God's existence, but that's fine, how else could one make such a defense? Really stellar stuff.

My general response to the Problem of Evil is nihilism (rather complicated to explain) but if it can disprove it to an atheist, then it's worth looking at, I guess.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:26:19 AM
At 12/26/2012 11:49:58 PM, MouthWash wrote:
I'm interested in John Hick's writings on epistemology. Could anyone who reads him recommend some material?

He's one of my favorite authors, if you are interested in epistemology you are going to get it in the context of religious pluralism from Hick, he's at his most profound in that regards.

"Death and Eternal Life" might be a good book to start with, or better yet, search the Internet for his articles, that's probably the best approach to familiarizing yourself with his work, once you know what you're dealing with, then you can pick a first book.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater