Jump to topic:

My Qestions To Devout Biblical Follower

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 8:22:53 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Please answer the next questions using your own knowledge without looking up the answers.
I ask that you also please refrain from quoting scripture to answer these questions.

How, where, and when was the Bible originated.

Why is what the Bible says considered truth.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 8:48:03 AM
At 12/27/2012 8:22:53 AM, pozessed wrote:

It was written between 3500 and 2000 years ago, mostly in Palestine. I don't know what you mean by "how." Quill and paper, I imagine.

Different people consider it true for different reason. Some people consider it true because their parents said it was true. Some people consider it true because it meshes neatly with everything else they know from archaeology and history. Some consider it true because Jesus considered it true, and he was raised from the dead. Some consider it true because the early church said so.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 10:56:01 AM
At 12/27/2012 8:48:03 AM, philochristos wrote:

It was written between 3500 and 2000 years ago, mostly in Palestine. I don't know what you mean by "how." Quill and paper, I imagine.

Was the Bible written by one person? How did it come to be the Bible?

Different people consider it true for different reason. Some people consider it true because their parents said it was true. Some people consider it true because it meshes neatly with everything else they know from archaeology and history. Some consider it true because Jesus considered it true, and he was raised from the dead. Some consider it true because the early church said so.

Why do you consider it to be true?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:29:50 AM
At 12/27/2012 10:56:01 AM, pozessed wrote:
Was the Bible written by one person?

No, it had at least 40 different authors.

How did it come to be the Bible?

It was a long process. The Bible is not really one book. It's a collection of books. It's more like a library. The books that are included in the Bible were included primarily because early on in their history, the Jews or the Christians, respectively, recognized them to be authoritative. As disagreement arose about controversial books, there were lists of canons meant to solidify what should be included, and there were also councils that dealt with the issue.

I think that if you begin with the modest assumption that the New Testament is a product of first century Christianity and that it reflects the beliefs on first century Christians, you can make a strong historical argument that Jesus presented himself as a prophet and as the messiah, and that he was raised from the dead. I think his resurrection serves as confirmation of his claims about himself. Since the early church held scripture in very high esteem, and because they presented Jesus as holding the same view, I think it's highly likely that Jesus did hold that view. And since Jesus was a prophet sent from God, I trust the Old Testament on his authority. I trust the New Testament partly on the authority of the early church, and partly on internal evidence. Paul, for example, was an apostle recognized by the other apostles, and Jesus endowed them with authority to preserve his teachings. I also think it's likely that if Christianity is true that God would want an accurate written preservation of it's foundational teachings so that Christianity could survive through the ages. So it makes sense that the New Testament would be true.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 11:34:19 AM
Once upon a time, the grand space turtle gazed with favour upon a little rock floating through space. Life bloomed. Turtles grew from the rocks. Then man f*cked sh!t up. So the grand space turtle commanded many turtles to write the turtle bible for man, even sending space turtle Jesus to come down and be an example to us all and die for our sins.
Then the Romans got hold of it, made a few changes and voila, christianity.
tBoonePickens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2012 12:04:21 PM
Please answer the next questions using your own knowledge without looking up the answers.
I ask that you also please refrain from quoting scripture to answer these questions.

The OT was put together in BC times while the Christian Bible was put together by the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church between 382 to 420 AD or so.

Because it is the Word of God.
WOS
: At 10/3/2012 4:28:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
: Without nothing existing, you couldn't have something.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 3:49:35 AM
At 12/27/2012 12:04:21 PM, tBoonePickens wrote:

The OT was put together in BC times while the Christian Bible was put together by the Holy Roman Catholic and Apostolic Church between 382 to 420 AD or so.

Your legitimate evidence for ANY literal Supernatural god remains equal to ALL others i.e. a constant zero!

Your vindicated mentor & Saviour moi!
PoppednFresh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 4:00:07 AM
At 12/28/2012 3:49:35 AM, Composer wrote:

Your legitimate evidence for ANY literal Supernatural god remains equal to ALL others i.e. a constant zero!

Your vindicated mentor & Saviour moi!

The bibble is the suprem document written by the hand of God himself silly.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 4:35:05 AM
At 12/27/2012 11:29:50 AM, philochristos wrote:

What made these peoples writings more profound than others of the time??

It was a long process. The Bible is not really one book. It's a collection of books. It's more like a library. The books that are included in the Bible were included primarily because early on in their history, the Jews or the Christians, respectively, recognized them to be authoritative. As disagreement arose about controversial books, there were lists of canons meant to solidify what should be included, and there were also councils that dealt with the issue.

Why would the word of God need council?

I think that if you begin with the modest assumption that the New Testament is a product of first century Christianity and that it reflects the beliefs on first century Christians, you can make a strong historical argument that Jesus presented himself as a prophet and as the messiah, and that he was raised from the dead. I think his resurrection serves as confirmation of his claims about himself.

Is there historical evidence of his resurrection outside of the bible?

Since the early church held scripture in very high esteem, and because they presented Jesus as holding the same view, I think it's highly likely that Jesus did hold that view. And since Jesus was a prophet sent from God, I trust the Old Testament on his authority.

Who were these early church leaders? Why are they so highly trusted?

I trust the New Testament partly on the authority of the early church, and partly on internal evidence. Paul, for example, was an apostle recognized by the other apostles, and Jesus endowed them with authority to preserve his teachings. I also think it's likely that if Christianity is true that God would want an accurate written preservation of it's foundational teachings so that Christianity could survive through the ages. So it makes sense that the New Testament would be true.

What benefit would an all powerful entity (God) need a book passed around for, if he can possess our minds?
It's safe to assume that if Satan can do it, God can do it and better.
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 4:38:41 AM

We are supposed to trust what a group conspires without question?

Did God write it himself?
DanielChristopherBlowes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 10:43:16 AM

It was recorded by many men who were inspired by God.

Because we have received the spirit of truth; the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ.
Everyone on the side of Truth listens to Me. (Jesus Christ)
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 11:25:11 AM

philochristos & pozessed
Don't forget there were hundreds of PHONY manuscripts kicking around.. People did not know the truly inspired from the FALSE manuscripts!
It was the Holy Catholic Church >>NONE OTHER<< who decided the inspired from the uninspired!

Guided by the Holy Spirit the Holy Catholic church tossed out all the uninspired manuscripts and then she put all the truly inspired manuscripts into one book, she name the book "The Bible"!

THINK: If God guided his Church in the deciding of the inspired from the uninspired don't you think the Holy Spirit would not stick around and help his bride INTERPRET the same works!??

John 14:16
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever"

philochristos & pozessed toss your bible out your stinking window if you reject the authority of the Holy Catholic Church.. HOW..
How could you reject Jesus' bride and accept her bible as true!??

Dogknox
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 3:15:48 PM
At 12/28/2012 4:35:05 AM, pozessed wrote:
At 12/27/2012 11:29:50 AM, philochristos wrote:

What made these peoples writings more profound than others of the time??

I'm not sure. The first five books were thought to have been written by Moses, or at least based on stuff Moses wrote. The Kings and Chronicles are based on official histories, which the authors called "The Annals of the Kings of Israel/Judah." Then there's the prophets. Generally, a 'prophet' had to prove himself by making accurate predictions or giving signs or something like that. With some of the books, like Joshua, Ruth, and Job, I'm not sure why they were thought to be authoritative originally.

Why would the word of God need council?

The word of God didn't need a council. The church needed a council to try to resolve their differences about the word of God.

I think that if you begin with the modest assumption that the New Testament is a product of first century Christianity and that it reflects the beliefs on first century Christians, you can make a strong historical argument that Jesus presented himself as a prophet and as the messiah, and that he was raised from the dead. I think his resurrection serves as confirmation of his claims about himself.

Is there historical evidence of his resurrection outside of the bible?

There is information outside of the Bible that is relevant to the case for the resurrection, but I don't think you could defend the resurrection without the Bible.

Since the early church held scripture in very high esteem, and because they presented Jesus as holding the same view, I think it's highly likely that Jesus did hold that view. And since Jesus was a prophet sent from God, I trust the Old Testament on his authority.

Who were these early church leaders? Why are they so highly trusted?

Here's a list of them: http://www.ccel.org... They are highly trusted because they were leaders in the church.

I trust the New Testament partly on the authority of the early church, and partly on internal evidence. Paul, for example, was an apostle recognized by the other apostles, and Jesus endowed them with authority to preserve his teachings. I also think it's likely that if Christianity is true that God would want an accurate written preservation of it's foundational teachings so that Christianity could survive through the ages. So it makes sense that the New Testament would be true.

What benefit would an all powerful entity (God) need a book passed around for, if he can possess our minds?

What need is there for him to possess our minds, when he could use a book?

It's safe to assume that if Satan can do it, God can do it and better.

I agree.

1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 9:16:30 PM

5 books of Moses - Moses, (hence the name), as inspiered/dictated by god . Somewhere between 1200 B.C. to about 1400 B.C.

Prophets:

Early prophets - around 1000 B.C.:

The book of Joshua was written by Joshua ,
The Book of Judges and the Books of Samuel were by the prophet Samuel (with some passages by the prophets Gad and Nathan),
The two Books of Kings were by Jeremiah.

Latter Prophets- around 500 B.C - 1000 B.C.:

Isaiah - I think himself.

Jeremiah - Himself / his student Baruch, or maybe both.

Ezekiel - I think himself.

Writings - before 200 B.C.:

Psalms - King David

Job - not sure. Maybe Moses or Job himself.

proverbs - King Solomon

Song of songs - King Solomon

Ecclesiastics - King Solomon

Ruth - Samuel

Lamentations - The prophet Jeremiah

The book of Esther - Queen Ester & Mordecai

Daniel - Daniel

Ezra - Ezra

Nechemia - Ezra

Chronicles - Ezra

I think that's all of them. Not familiar with N.T. It was written by a bunch of people somewhere between 100 - 500 A.D.

Cause it's from God.

Not sure exactly what you wanted with all this.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 9:29:16 PM
At 12/29/2012 9:16:30 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

I think that's all of them. Not familiar with N.T. It was written by a bunch of people somewhere between 100 - 500 A.D.

Whoa where did those numbers come from?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 10:56:19 PM
At 12/29/2012 10:43:16 AM, DanielChristopherBlowes wrote:

It was recorded by many men who were inspired by God.

Because we have received the spirit of truth; the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ.

Then get your lying little self & your h-s over to JREF & strut your stuff, then report back with the excuses for your combined failure, LOL!
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 12:21:30 AM
The first bible when the canon was closed by the pope 400 years after Jesus, held (73) seventy three books!
The first King James bible held (73) seventy three books!
The first bible ever printed the "Gutenberg Bible" held (73) seventy three books!
Martin Luther' Bible held (73) seventy three books!
The bible of the Catholic Church to this day, holds (73) seventy three books!

Catholic's did NOT add books protestants took books out of the bible! The Council of Trent did not "ADD" books simple proven by the fact: Martin Luther and the other Deformers objected to the presence of the Deuterocanonical books plus portions of Daniel and Esther decades before the Council of Trent!!!

You would not have your bible today if it were not for the Holy Catholic Church!
Reject the authority of the Holy Catholic Church then reject her BOOK, the Bible!

Dogknox
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 1:39:24 AM
At 12/30/2012 12:21:30 AM, Dogknox wrote:
The first bible when the canon was closed by the pope 400 years after Jesus, held (73) seventy three books!
The first bible ever printed the "Gutenberg Bible" held (73) seventy three books!

Catholic's did NOT add books protestants took books out of the bible! The Council of Trent did not "ADD" books simple proven by the fact: Martin Luther and the other Deformers objected to the presence of the Deuterocanonical books plus portions of Daniel and Esther decades before the Council of Trent!!!

You would not have your bible today if it were not for the Holy Catholic Church!
Reject the authority of the Holy Catholic Church then reject her BOOK, the Bible!

Dogknox

No matter HOW many ' Books ' were compiled, the legitimate evidence a single word in ANY of them came from ANY Supernatural god(s) remains a constant zero!

Not that jebus, apostle, Mary idol worshipping catholics take heed of even their own is manifest!
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 3:20:54 PM
pozessed you ask.. How, where, and when was the Bible originated.

I reply:

pozessed You would not have your bible today if it were not for the Holy Catholic Church!

You ask.. Why is what the Bible says considered truth?

pozessed Simple answer is.. It has never been proven wrong!
For 400 years the Church TAUGHT salvation and Jesus without a FORMAL guide!! BUT..
But manuscripts that were NOT inspired found there way into the Church. THEN the Church decided to weed out all uninspired manuscripts and put only the inspired manuscripts into one book she named this book; The Bible!
From the time the bible was made, up to today the Church taught corresponding doctrine because the bible helped guide the Holy Catholic Church in teaching!! For the first 400 years the Church was small enough that the bible was not as necessary, as the Body Of Jesus grew the teaching had to be comprehensive! The bible was a GUIDE!!

Dogknox
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 4:31:25 PM
At 12/30/2012 1:39:24 AM, Composer wrote:
At 12/30/2012 12:21:30 AM, Dogknox wrote:

Dogknox

No matter HOW many ' Books ' were compiled, the legitimate evidence a single word in ANY of them came from ANY Supernatural god(s) remains a constant zero!

Not that jebus, apostle, Mary idol worshipping catholics take heed of even their own is manifest!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2012 3:30:21 AM
It may startle those who are but acquainted with the popular writing of this day, yet, I believe, the most accurate consideration of the subject will lead us to acquiesce in the statement as a general truth, that the doctrines in question (viz., the Trinity and the Incarnation) have never been learned merely from Scripture.

Surely the sacred volume was never intended, and is not adapted to teach us our creed; however certain it is that we can prove our creed from it, when it has once been taught us. . . . From the very first, the rule has been, as a matter of fact, for the Church to teach the truth, and then appeal to Scripture in vindication of its own teaching.Cardinal Newman, Roman Catholic - Arians of the Fourth Century (1833)