Posted: 3 years ago
Examples:
Moses Maimonides
Thomas Aquinas
Blaise Pascal
Rene Descartes
Soren Kierkegaard
John Hick
William Lane Craig (I shudder to put him on the same list as the 6 men before him but I just want to illustrate...)

Given these names, could anyone recommend some more good philosopher-theologians/religious philosophers? Ones that even an atheist such as myself could definitely appreciate. And with the general exception of Craig, I respect, admire, and have learned a lot from the people mentioned above.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 12:52:43 AM
I know St. Augustine is a big name there. I've been meaning to read City of God. It seems like The Republic in that I doubt a word of it has much truth/meaning but it's kind of like required reading lol.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
KeytarHero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 12:54:16 AM
At 12/28/2012 12:42:29 AM, jat93 wrote:
Examples:
Moses Maimonides
Thomas Aquinas
Blaise Pascal
Rene Descartes
Soren Kierkegaard
John Hick
William Lane Craig (I shudder to put him on the same list as the 6 men before him but I just want to illustrate...)

Given these names, could anyone recommend some more good philosopher-theologians/religious philosophers? Ones that even an atheist such as myself could definitely appreciate. And with the general exception of Craig, I respect, admire, and have learned a lot from the people mentioned above.

William Lane Craig is a great philosopher. I've found Atheists generally don't like him because they don't understand his arguments. He's a very intelligent man and very educated.

Alvin Plantinga is another one. Gary Habermas is another.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:02:49 AM
At 12/28/2012 12:52:43 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I know St. Augustine is a big name there. I've been meaning to read City of God. It seems like The Republic in that I doubt a word of it has much truth/meaning but it's kind of like required reading lol.

I have never read City of God. I have a PDF copy I have been meaning to trudge through, but have never had the time. If you do read it, I'd be interested to know what you think of it.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:04:11 AM
At 12/28/2012 12:54:16 AM, KeytarHero wrote:
Examples:
Moses Maimonides (Not sure)
Thomas Aquinas (Good)
Blaise Pascal (I have mixed feelings)
Rene Descartes (lol)
Soren Kierkegaard (awesome)
John Hick (never read enough of him to have an opinion)

William Lane Craig is a great philosopher. I've found Atheists generally don't like him because they don't understand his arguments. He's a very intelligent man and very educated.

Alvin Plantinga is another one. Gary Habermas is another.

I would add Dostoevsky to this list.
Tsar of DDO
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:04:39 AM
Jonathan Edwards
C.S. Lewis
J.P. Moreland
John Locke
Stephen T. Davis
Alexander Pruss
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:06:15 AM
Speaking of some big name contemporary people:

Alvin Plantinga
Robert Merrihew Adams and Marilyn McCord Adams (they are an awesome married philosopher duo and both are brilliant)
Richard Swinburne
William Alston
Peter Van Inwagen
Robert Audi
Eleonore Stump
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:10:05 AM
At 12/28/2012 1:08:53 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Lots of the modern philosophers: Leibniz, Malebranche, Spinoza...
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:15:57 AM
Dostoevsky
Paul Copan
Robert Koons
John & James Lennox
The McGrew's
Linville
Stew Goetz

What is your interest in these folks' work?
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:32:08 AM
At 12/28/2012 1:15:57 AM, Apeiron wrote:
Dostoevsky
Paul Copan
Robert Koons
John & James Lennox
The McGrew's
Linville
Stew Goetz

I can't believe I forgot the McGrews!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:54:08 AM
At 12/28/2012 1:32:08 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 12/28/2012 1:15:57 AM, Apeiron wrote:
Dostoevsky
Paul Copan
Robert Koons
John & James Lennox
The McGrew's
Linville
Stew Goetz

hah they're good epistemologists- Plantinga gives them flak on Design arguments though.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 2:02:45 AM
At 12/28/2012 1:54:08 AM, Apeiron wrote:

hah they're good epistemologists- Plantinga gives them flak on Design arguments though.

That's alright. They give Plantinga flak on his epistemology. :-)

Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:43:48 AM
At 12/28/2012 2:02:45 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 12/28/2012 1:54:08 AM, Apeiron wrote:

That's alright. They give Plantinga flak on his epistemology. :-)

True.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 10:50:57 AM

What is your position on religion? I've never heard it. For all I know, you could be Muslim.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 12:31:19 PM
At 12/28/2012 10:50:57 AM, MouthWash wrote:

What is your position on religion? I've never heard it. For all I know, you could be Muslim.

Does Islam seem compatible with nihilism to you?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 12:50:29 PM
At 12/28/2012 12:31:19 PM, phantom wrote:

You could believe that god exists and even that the contents of a holy book are true, but that that doesn't make life meaningful.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 1:09:27 PM
At 12/28/2012 12:50:29 PM, Kinesis wrote:

You could believe that god exists and even that the contents of a holy book are true, but that that doesn't make life meaningful.

But Cody's more than just an existential nihilist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 5:36:17 PM
At 12/28/2012 1:09:27 PM, phantom wrote:

But Cody's more than just an existential nihilist.

God forbid he step over into theoretical nihilism.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2012 6:09:52 PM
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Huston Smith
Frithjof Schuon
Keith Ward
John Polkinghorne
Ian Barbour
Josef Pieper
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
WW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 4:58:48 PM
Examples:
Moses Maimonides
Thomas Aquinas
Blaise Pascal
Rene Descartes
Soren Kierkegaard
John Hick

LOL, did he eat your dog or something. He is one of the most respected people in theology.

Alvin Plantinga is awesome, btw.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2012 5:05:38 PM
At 12/29/2012 4:58:48 PM, WW wrote:

LOL, did he eat your dog or something. He is one of the most respected people in theology.

Not really. Talked about and discussed? Yes (mainly due to the Kalam and molinism). One of the most respected? I wouldn't say that by any stretch of the imagination.

Alvin Plantinga is awesome, btw.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
InquireTruth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 12:01:46 AM
At 12/29/2012 5:05:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Not really. Talked about and discussed? Yes (mainly due to the Kalam and molinism). One of the most respected? I wouldn't say that by any stretch of the imagination.

Really? Most discussed and among the most respected with little by way of imagination in my opinion. He's got his hand in almost every argument of natural theology on both popular and professional levels. He is unprecedentedly renowned and reverently respected on a general level and has also published numerous scholarly articles on almost every important topic. In what way are you defining respect such that WLC is not among those who garner it (a lions share of popularity among evangelical philosophers too)? I stand among the many who respect WLC as one of the most articulate philosophers who has done so much to bring the world of natural theology to the general public.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 12:18:03 AM

Exactly. I see no conflict between the two and never have (unless the 'religion' is more of a philosophy, such as Buddhism).
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 4:21:20 AM
At 12/30/2012 12:01:46 AM, InquireTruth wrote:
At 12/29/2012 5:05:38 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Really? Most discussed and among the most respected with little by way of imagination in my opinion. He's got his hand in almost every argument of natural theology on both popular and professional levels. He is unprecedentedly renowned and reverently respected on a general level and has also published numerous scholarly articles on almost every important topic. In what way are you defining respect such that WLC is not among those who garner it (a lions share of popularity among evangelical philosophers too)? I stand among the many who respect WLC as one of the most articulate philosophers who has done so much to bring the world of natural theology to the general public.

Going by the time I've spent in a philosophy department talking about issues such as these and by reports from my friends and acquaitances (all of whom have spent time in philosophy academia in various aspects; undergraduate, graduate professional) and by things I have read from both Christians and non-Christians MANY view him as being much more of rhetorician or showman (as in seemingly more concerned with "scoring points" than anything else). Particularly with respect to his formulations of the moral argument and his holy spirit epistemology. And, by the way, none of these non-Christians seemed to harbor any sort of strong animus aginst Christian philosophers as a whole (if any one is thinking that) they usually spoke very highly of Plantinga, Swinburne, Van Inwagen, etc.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 7:19:38 AM
At 12/30/2012 4:21:20 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
Going by the time I've spent in a philosophy department talking about issues such as these and by reports from my friends and acquaitances (all of whom have spent time in philosophy academia in various aspects; undergraduate, graduate professional) and by things I have read from both Christians and non-Christians MANY view him as being much more of rhetorician or showman (as in seemingly more concerned with "scoring points" than anything else). Particularly with respect to his formulations of the moral argument and his holy spirit epistemology. And, by the way, none of these non-Christians seemed to harbor any sort of strong animus aginst Christian philosophers as a whole (if any one is thinking that) they usually spoke very highly of Plantinga, Swinburne, Van Inwagen, etc.

That seems like an odd criticism to me. Aren't Christians called to share their faith? Plantinga, Swinburne and the like rarely produce any non-respectable work but they also don't really break out of academia to actually persuade laymen that there are good arguments for christian theism. WLC has a whole company, Reasonable Faith, designed to reach out and persuade non-christians and equip christians to persuade non-christians. If all his work was sophisticated philosophy it wouldn't have got the fairly widespread attention among professional philosophers and to some degree the public that it has. His moral argument is obviously rubbish, but it's also very persuasive in a debate. That's because his goal isn't primarily to produce sound arguments, it's to persuade people of Christianity.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 9:19:30 AM
I forgot one;

Mircea Eliade
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater