Jump to topic:

Question for Catholics about Saints

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 11:30:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was recently thinking about how different Major Holidays have Saints that go with them, Saint Valentines and Saint Patrick. and even Christmas has Saint Nicholas related to its holiday stories and legends. and how there lives and what they represent as Saints are related to the spirit of the holiday itself they are associated with.

So I began to wonder if there are saints that could go with the others and I came up with this list so far

Christmas- St Nicholas
Easter- St Peter (cause of 'peter' rabbit and st peter being very close to the Easter story)
Halloween- St Steven (Halloween has a lot to do with death and all martyred saints so I figured he very appropriate)
Valentines- St Valentines
St Patrick's day- St Patrick
Independence Day- Saint George (fought a 'tyrant dragon)

So I was wondering if there was a saint for Thanksgiving or if there isn't who would be if there was one? is there a saint to do with Harvest or gratefulness?
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 11:40:56 PM
Each (or at least most) of our Saints have Feast Days, where that particular Saint is remembered and celebrated.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2013 11:53:26 PM
it's not quite a turkey, but I vote for this guy...St. Awesome.

http://www.debate.org...
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 1:04:54 AM
At 1/5/2013 11:40:56 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Each (or at least most) of our Saints have Feast Days, where that particular Saint is remembered and celebrated.

catholic organised Pagan based celebrations to disobediently worship their saints!
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 2:25:38 AM
At 1/6/2013 1:04:54 AM, Composer wrote:
At 1/5/2013 11:40:56 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

catholic organised Pagan based celebrations to disobediently worship their saints!

Just like we worship Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day. Yeah.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 6:02:27 PM
At 1/6/2013 11:34:31 AM, Dogknox wrote:
Thanksgiving day November 28, 2013 Saint Philip's Fast

The feast day of Saints, is usually fixed to a date!
Thanksgiving Day changes with each year.. Thus not likely any one saint could be named!

Dogknox
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 6:14:55 PM
At 1/6/2013 6:02:27 PM, Dogknox wrote:

Thanksgiving Day changes with each year.. Thus not likely any one saint could be named!

Dogknox

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 6:44:19 PM
At 1/6/2013 6:14:55 PM, Composer wrote:

Dogknox

Composer, do we also worship MLK on MLK Day?
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 8:29:45 PM
At 1/5/2013 11:53:26 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

Thats not 'st awesome' its 'St George the dragon slayer'. I already have him picked out as more suited to another holiday. He represents fighting with valor and knightly behavior. the word 'chivalry' is a literal reference to saint George.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 8:38:48 PM

Dogknox

Well I understand the day may not litterally have an official Saint to go with it, but I was wondering if there was a hypothetcal one you could ascribe to Thanksgiving. On Christmas its all about giving so the Saint who did much amazing charatiy in Turkey named saint nicholas name has become a christmas-sey name.

So along that line of thought, hypothetically if a saint were to become associated with Thanksgiving, like if it were a tradition that would begin as soon as we stated telling it, what Saints story is got to do with Harvests or Familey Banquets or Community bonding, overcoming raciest differences, and just Thankfulness?

Is there a Saint whos story and what he or she represents complementary to the things to the holiday that we celebrate. I tried Googling 'saint of Harvest' and got lots of different contradictory results. one source said Barrabas, another said some saint I had never heard of, but both listed them as primarily saints of something else.

A Scout is Obedient.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 8:39:00 PM
At 1/6/2013 8:29:45 PM, Marauder wrote:

Thats not 'st awesome' its 'St George the dragon slayer'. I already have him picked out as more suited to another holiday. He represents fighting with valor and knightly behavior. the word 'chivalry' is a literal reference to saint George.

Oh really? St. Awesome is not his name? Wow...how dumb am I for believing that actually was his name.

(no sh!t, Sherlock. He was the saint I was going to choose for Holy Confirmation before I decided that confirming a faith I didn't have was kind of a prick move and I quit the church before completing the sacrament.)

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 8:42:23 PM
At 1/6/2013 6:44:19 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Dogknox

Worship originally meant a condition of being worthy, honored or renown. So, in the strictest, original sense of the word, yes...yes we do.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 9:24:57 PM
At 1/6/2013 8:42:23 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

Dogknox

Worship originally meant a condition of being worthy, honored or renown. So, in the strictest, original sense of the word, yes...yes we do.

Needless to say, I was assuming a different sense of the word "worship," the sense that Composer meant -- that we worship the Saints in the same sense that we worship God (which isn't true).

I'm not sure why you even brought that sense of the word up, since it's entirely irrelevant to the discussion. If Composer were assuming that sense of the word, then obviously he wouldn't have attached a sense of 'disobedience' to it; he attached 'disobedience' because he was referring to Catholics supposedly breaking the divine commandment of worshipping only God, which obviously is a different sense of the word worship than the "strictest, original" sense.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 9:25:06 PM
At 1/6/2013 8:39:00 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

Oh really? St. Awesome is not his name? Wow...how dumb am I for believing that actually was his name.

(no sh!t, Sherlock. He was the saint I was going to choose for Holy Confirmation before I decided that confirming a faith I didn't have was kind of a prick move and I quit the church before completing the sacrament.)

you have to 'pick' a saint for your confirmation? why?

A Scout is Obedient.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 9:27:17 PM
At 1/6/2013 9:25:06 PM, Marauder wrote:

It's to declare who we want to imitate as a Catholic, someone who we want to guide us and pray for us.
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 9:44:51 PM
At 1/6/2013 9:27:17 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

It's to declare who we want to imitate as a Catholic, someone who we want to guide us and pray for us.

Why not just pick the best! JESUS the name above all names.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 9:59:02 PM
At 1/6/2013 9:44:51 PM, Suqua wrote:

Of course we all strive to imitate Jesus. But it's ridiculous to assert that we can look up to no one else.
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 11:13:30 PM
At 1/6/2013 9:59:02 PM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Of course we all strive to imitate Jesus. But it's ridiculous to assert that we can look up to no one else.

well then by that extension, logically why not just let it be understood you look up to all the saints and hope they all pray for you? why pick a specific one to imitate?

A Scout is Obedient.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 11:56:44 PM

Confirming your faith is an incredibly personal experience that should not be gone into lightly (like I said, it is the reason I had to quit the church...to not do so, despite my lack of faith, would have been a huge insult to an intense and beautiful process that is incredibly special for those who do have faith).

In confirming one's faith, it is a celebration of faith, and what is possible through faith. So, you are supposed to form an intimate bond with a person whose faith lead them to extraordinary acts. It is not to imitate that person, as someone said previously, but to gain inspiration from them and go out and perform great acts of your own as a result of your faith.

It really is a thing I respect greatly, and I wish I did have faith, because that sacrament, in particular, is one I would have loved to complete.

But, it was not meant to be. I am a certified heathen, and always will be.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 12:52:28 AM
At 1/6/2013 11:13:30 PM, Marauder wrote:

well then by that extension, logically why not just let it be understood you look up to all the saints and hope they all pray for you? why pick a specific one to imitate?

It makes it a lot more personal, and like malcolmxy has said, Confirmation is a really personal experience.
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 1:38:47 AM
At 1/7/2013 12:52:28 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

It makes it a lot more personal, and like malcolmxy has said, Confirmation is a really personal experience.

Then why would you not pick one that did the most for you, that loves you the most, that wants a personal experience with you. God emptied out all heaven in that one gift and you would pick someone less than the best most important in all the universe? I'm amazed. Shocked. I'm sure John the beloved would have something to say about that. In fact all the apostles wanted to be next to Christ, they fought over it.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:58:49 AM

Dogknox

You just contradicted yourself by stating that you did -

" Just like we worship Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day. Yeah. "

I thought catholics taught that only Story book god was to be worshipped?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:01:54 AM
At 1/6/2013 8:42:23 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

Who are the ' we ' you refer too?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:09:37 AM

But catholics are amongst those that don't merely ' look up to others ' they actively call upon others apart from the one & only mediator in Story book Land = jebus; to intercede / mediate on their behalf, which is yet another disobedient act by catholics, as jebus is the ONLY mediator according to the catholic Story book itself! (cf. 1 Tim. 2:5) catholic story book

Your vindicated mentor, 50 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:38:34 AM
At 1/7/2013 3:09:37 AM, Composer wrote:

But catholics are amongst those that don't merely ' look up to others ' they actively call upon others apart from the one & only mediator in Story book Land = jebus; to intercede / mediate on their behalf, which is yet another disobedient act by catholics, as jebus is the ONLY mediator according to the catholic Story book itself! (cf. 1 Tim. 2:5) catholic story book

St. Paul refutes you and all heretics like you in 1 Timothy 2:1!

'First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men,'

Your vindicated mentor, 50 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!

Don't you think it's a little bit redundant to describe yourself as 'successful' twice?

Debunked as usual.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:55:31 AM
At 1/7/2013 1:38:47 AM, Suqua wrote:

Then why would you not pick one that did the most for you, that loves you the most, that wants a personal experience with you. God emptied out all heaven in that one gift and you would pick someone less than the best most important in all the universe? I'm amazed. Shocked. I'm sure John the beloved would have something to say about that. In fact all the apostles wanted to be next to Christ, they fought over it.

Hey genius. You have to pick a saint. You show me in the book of the beatified where someone can find Jesus, and I'll start spreading the word. Otherwise, it's against the rules.

I didn't make the rules. I just don't bother to take the time to ridicule something I know to be beautiful, nor would I do so if I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

If the Christians turn out to be right, hell is made for people like you.

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:55:59 AM
At 1/7/2013 1:38:47 AM, Suqua wrote:
At 1/7/2013 12:52:28 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

What is it with Protestants having a problem with literally every single thing Catholics do? It's just picking out a Saint you like and looking up to them for Christ's sake. It's not a big deal; it's not like imitating a Saint and imitating Christ are mutually exclusive. We pick a Confirmation Saint individually to enhance the individuality of the experience. I'm sure you look up to someone in your life -- it's not like your imitation of Christ is lessened at all by also imitating the goodness of a lesser figure.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:56:44 AM
At 1/7/2013 2:58:49 AM, Composer wrote:

Dogknox

You just contradicted yourself by stating that you did -

" Just like we worship Martin Luther King Jr. on MLK Day. Yeah. "

I thought catholics taught that only Story book god was to be worshipped?

Christ, you wouldn't know sarcasm if it slapped you across the face and debunked your cult.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 3:58:19 AM
At 1/7/2013 3:09:37 AM, Composer wrote:

Yeah, how is that disobedient? It's no different from asking someone else to pray for you. We just pray to those who we believe are closer to God. We're not worshipping the Saints, we're asking them to intercede and mediate. There's absolutely nothing disobedient about that.

Yeah, whatever.