Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

Questions for Godsands

rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:45:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
1. God is the absolute creator, so can he create himself?

2. Where is the justice in punishing us for Adam's sin? If the bible itself says that children will not be punished for the parents' sins (Deut. 24:16).

3. If god really created Adam not knowing either good or evil (Gen 3:22), how could such a harsh and enduring punishment as death for Adam and all his descendants possibly be just?

4. How could Adam and Eve ever have sinned if god had actually created them perfect, even if they did have free will? If god created them imperfect, how could a perfect omnipotent being create anything imperfect?

5. Why Pray? If it changes god's mind then he is not sovereign. If it does not change god's mind then it is superfluous.

6. Why would a loving, omnipotent, benevolent god cause people to believe falsehoods so that he can condemn them? (II Thes 2:11 - 12)

7. Why does Jesus quote a non-existent verse of the OT scripture (John 7:38)? Is it possible that he considered other non-canonical writings also to be god's Word?

8. Which "Ten Commandments" are the Ten Commandments - the ones listed in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5, or the ones listed at Exodus 34? Only the list at Exodus 34 is explicitly called the "Ten Commandments" in the biblical text.

9. Why does the writer of Matthew quote a non-existent OT prophecy (Matthew 2:23)?

10. Why does the writer of Matthew attribute a quote about the potter's field to Jeremiah, when Jeremiah has no such passage and the closest one in the OT is Zechariah (Matthew 27:9 - 10, Zechariah 11:12)?

11. Why doesn't prayer work, when the bible promises that it will (John 14:14, for example)?

12. Why aren't Christians doing greater works than Jesus did, since he himself said they would (John 14:12)? Why aren't they raising the dead, turning water into wine, healing the sick, feeding multitudes from a very small amount of food, casting out demons, walking on water?

13. If god has a plan laid out for each and every one of us...then why should us praying for things to happen do anything?

14. How can you say your religion is true knowing there are thousands of religions and that you would say the religion you believe now is a lie if you had been born in to another?

15. Why should people believe in god?

16. Can god make a rock so big that he can't lift it?

17. Why does the Book of Job seem to tell us that women and children are disposable?

18. Why couldn't the omnipotent god remove sin without requiring a sacrifice?

19. If we are his children, wouldn't hell be child abuse?

20. What's the deal with mosquitoes? Was that an "oops"?

21. Where in the Gospels does Jesus call himself god?

22. If god is benevolent and omnipotent then how come Jesus had to be sacrificed for his forgiveness?

23. What evidence is there that god is real other than a book at says the Earth is 6000 years old?

24. Can god create something that he cannot control?

25. If free will is necessary for us to truly love god, what happens in heaven? Is it possible to sin in heaven?

26. Why are there so many contradictions in the Bible - isn't god powerful enough to keep the Bible error-free?

27. Why doesn't God make faith easier?

28. If it really is God who gives Christians their faith (John 6), how can he blame people for not believing in him, especially when it's not their fault they're born with original sin?

29. Can an omnipotent, omniscient God change his future mind?

30. Why would god make plants before he created sunlight?

I shall stop there :]
crackofdawn_Jr
Posts: 1,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 3:47:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Is it alright if I try to answer these?
There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-Mark Twain

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success"

"Therefore love moderately. Long love doth so.
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."
- William Shakespeare

"There must be no majority decisions, but only responsible persons, and the word 'council' must be restored to its original meaning. Surely every man will have advisers by his side, but the decision will be made by one man."
- Adolf Hitler
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:00:33 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 3:47:18 PM, crackofdawn_Jr wrote:
Is it alright if I try to answer these?

After Godsands does :P

What school do you go to???? I just noticed we live very close lol and we're the same age. I'd ask this in a message or comment but you have it set to where I can't :P
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:01:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 3:53:15 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Not going to lie, some of these questions are a little... Dumb.

I know some aren't that intellectual but I just want to see how Godsands replies to them
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:01:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Those questions are either absurd or not worth answering. Since it refers to the Bible many times, I'd skip answering them. There's another thread with similar questions that I will answer soon.

As for question number 16, for example, it would be illogical to say that God would create something He Himself cannot lift, because that would ruin the definition of 'God', hereby the Almighty One. So if He creates something that He cannot lift, it would be as asking whether or not He would be able to make Himself less mighty, which is also absurd because that would ruin the definition of 'God' too, hereby the All-Knower. This goes ad infinitum.
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:10:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 4:01:51 PM, Mirza wrote:

As for question number 16, for example, it would be illogical to say that God would create something He Himself cannot lift, because that would ruin the definition of 'God', hereby the Almighty One. So if He creates something that He cannot lift, it would be as asking whether or not He would be able to make Himself less mighty, which is also absurd because that would ruin the definition of 'God' too, hereby the All-Knower. This goes ad infinitum.

I'm not asking if he would, I'm asking if he could
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:21:06 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
before anyone goes on here and starts saying how these questions are dumb and silly, make sure you have read some of the things that Godsands has said and realize that I am not aiming these questions at the christen community, but JUST HIM. I want to know what HE has to say. Idc if you think my questions are dumb. I posted them for a reason. I wanted to read his answer.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:35:02 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
You're new here. We've been putting up with GodSands' idiocy for MONTHS. You'll forgive us if we don't find this as curious or entertaining as you do XD
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:39:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 4:35:02 PM, Kleptin wrote:
You're new here. We've been putting up with GodSands' idiocy for MONTHS. You'll forgive us if we don't find this as curious or entertaining as you do XD

oh i know lol
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 4:40:19 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 4:37:22 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Questions like 20, for example, concerning mosquitoes. I think that the question is a bit more amusing than the answer probably will be.

The answer will still amuse me though :]
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 6:30:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 4:01:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
Those questions are either absurd or not worth answering. Since it refers to the Bible many times, I'd skip answering them. There's another thread with similar questions that I will answer soon.

As for question number 16, for example, it would be illogical to say that God would create something He Himself cannot lift, because that would ruin the definition of 'God', hereby the Almighty One. So if He creates something that He cannot lift, it would be as asking whether or not He would be able to make Himself less mighty, which is also absurd because that would ruin the definition of 'God' too, hereby the All-Knower. This goes ad infinitum.

That's the point.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 9:23:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
There's no point in asking Godsands to answer anything. He doesn't use logic, reason or even common sense.

You know, I was just thinking given the recent discussion about God and the Universe that I truly don't miss DATCMOTO one bit. I'm glad he's not here trolling the discussion. And now we're asking Godsands to insert his two cents? It's not like he'll contribute anything of substance to the discussion anyway, so you might as well not encourage him and pose your questions to more articulate theists instead. They're around here somewhere.
President of DDO
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2009 10:53:55 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
GODSANDS' PREDICTED ANSWERS

At 10/27/2009 3:45:36 PM, rawrxqueen wrote:
1. God is the absolute creator, so can he create himself?

Yess butt know becus God duzznt nede two creyate himselff bucus he iss alredy exist.


2. Where is the justice in punishing us for Adam's sin? If the bible itself says that children will not be punished for the parents' sins (Deut. 24:16).

Becus they peeple wure badd siners sow god kiled them.


3. If god really created Adam not knowing either good or evil (Gen 3:22), how could such a harsh and enduring punishment as death for Adam and all his descendants possibly be just?

Becus evrything godd duzz is jusst sow that meens kiling adem wus ok.


4. How could Adam and Eve ever have sinned if god had actually created them perfect, even if they did have free will? If god created them imperfect, how could a perfect omnipotent being create anything imperfect?

Brcus godd made themm impefect butt then corsed a big fludd so that fixd it.


5. Why Pray? If it changes god's mind then he is not sovereign. If it does not change god's mind then it is superfluous.

I prayy forr siners to stopp beleeving inn evolushum. And forr my bruther's laste cookie.


6. Why would a loving, omnipotent, benevolent god cause people to believe falsehoods so that he can condemn them? (II Thes 2:11 - 12)

It wus evolushim wat madde peeple beleeve in fulse things nott god.


7. Why does Jesus quote a non-existent verse of the OT scripture (John 7:38)? Is it possible that he considered other non-canonical writings also to be god's Word?

Becus maybe he wuss to bizzy savving yor sinns.


8. Which "Ten Commandments" are the Ten Commandments - the ones listed in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5, or the ones listed at Exodus 34? Only the list at Exodus 34 is explicitly called the "Ten Commandments" in the biblical text.

Awl off them.

9. Why does the writer of Matthew quote a non-existent OT prophecy (Matthew 2:23)?

Furst the ritter of Mathhew wus god. secund, it wusnt non-exist, evolushum is.

FIN

Nah sorry dude, just playin', I was bored.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 7:28:48 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 5:24:40 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
If i was him I'd refuse to answer as well. Wouldn't you avoid any chance where others gt to mock you?

i wouldn't be being so mean if he hadn't of been like "bisexual christen?" the very first day i got this account. sorry but it really made me mad. he wants to go around shoving the bible down ppls throats and it offends people.
Renzzy
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2009 8:24:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/27/2009 3:45:36 PM, rawrxqueen wrote:
1. God is the absolute creator, so can he create himself?
This is an illogical question. God is described in the Bible as being all powerful, all knowing, and wise beyond our comprehension. God can do whatever He wishes, but again, this is like aking if God can create somthing to heavy for himself to lift. It has no real meaning or purpose in life or theology. WHat reason would he have to create Himself?
2. Where is the justice in punishing us for Adam's sin? If the bible itself says that children will not be punished for the parents' sins (Deut. 24:16).
Duet. 24:16 is talking about social sins which are between two people, so the son shall not be punished for the bucket his father stole. In the realm of apostacy, however, God most certainly does punish generation after generation. Duet. 5:9.
3. If god really created Adam not knowing either good or evil (Gen 3:22), how could such a harsh and enduring punishment as death for Adam and all his descendants possibly be just?
God told them not to eat the fruit and they did. The puishment is not according to the magnitude of the sin they committed. The puishment is so steep because they sinned against a perfect God. Any sin committed against this God, then, is not only deserving of death, but also eternal damnation.
4. How could Adam and Eve ever have sinned if god had actually created them perfect, even if they did have free will? If god created them imperfect, how could a perfect omnipotent being create anything imperfect?
At that point they were perfect because they had not sinned, not becase theycould not sin. God created them with a free will, and they chose to sin.
5. Why Pray? If it changes god's mind then he is not sovereign. If it does not change god's mind then it is superfluous.
We pray, first of all, because we are commanded to, not to change God's mind, but to mind God's change. The more time we spend in communication with God, the more we will understand why He does the things He does, and be at peace with it.
6. Why would a loving, omnipotent, benevolent god cause people to believe falsehoods so that he can condemn them? (II Thes 2:11 - 12)
Rom. 9:19-24
7. Why does Jesus quote a non-existent verse of the OT scripture (John 7:38)? Is it possible that he considered other non-canonical writings also to be god's Word?
Note that Jesus gives no reference. This is because He is not quoting from one particular book, but many. All throughout the scriptures He is refered to as the water of life, or the living water that will cleanse the land, etc. See Isaiah 44:3, 55:1, 58:11, and John 4:10 for examples of this. Basically, Jesus is saying that He will dwell in the hearts of those who believe in Him.
8. Which "Ten Commandments" are the Ten Commandments - the ones listed in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5, or the ones listed at Exodus 34? Only the list at Exodus 34 is explicitly called the "Ten Commandments" in the biblical text.
Illogical question. All of the commandments given by God are important. Both could be considered the legitimant.
9. Why does the writer of Matthew quote a non-existent OT prophecy (Matthew 2:23)?
http://www.apologeticspress.org...
10. Why does the writer of Matthew attribute a quote about the potter's field to Jeremiah, when Jeremiah has no such passage and the closest one in the OT is Zechariah (Matthew 27:9 - 10, Zechariah 11:12)?
http://www.theology.edu... It is very possible that the first few chapters of Zechariah were not written by him at all, but instead by Jeremiah.
11. Why doesn't prayer work, when the bible promises that it will (John 14:14, for example)?
We are commanded to pray according to God's will, and his will will be done. Prayer works. I have experienced it.
12. Why aren't Christians doing greater works than Jesus did, since he himself said they would (John 14:12)? Why aren't they raising the dead, turning water into wine, healing the sick, feeding multitudes from a very small amount of food, casting out demons, walking on water?
The Apostles did, and the people of their time still did not believe. We do not see thses things today, becuase we do not need them. We have the whole Bible, they didn't.
13. If god has a plan laid out for each and every one of us...then why should us praying for things to happen do anything?
See my answer to Q. 5.
14. How can you say your religion is true knowing there are thousands of religions and that you would say the religion you believe now is a lie if you had been born in to another?
Christianity is the only religion that brings true peace. Any convert from any religion to christianity will tell you this.
15. Why should people believe in god?
He is the only way to heaven. Ps. 19:1
16. Can god make a rock so big that he can't lift it?
I have already answered this.
17. Why does the Book of Job seem to tell us that women and children are disposable?
It in no way tells us that. It shows us a man who is completely reliatnt on God, and considers Him his only necessity.
18. Why couldn't the omnipotent god remove sin without requiring a sacrifice?
One of GOd's attributes is justice. How would He be just if he did not require sacrifice?
19. If we are his children, wouldn't hell be child abuse?
No offense, but this is a ridiculous question. See Rom. 9:19-14.
20. What's the deal with mosquitoes? Was that an "oops"?
All part of the curse when we fell into sin.
21. Where in the Gospels does Jesus call himself god?
Jhn. 10:30, Jhn. 8:58, etc.
22. If god is benevolent and omnipotent then how come Jesus had to be sacrificed for his forgiveness?
I don't understand the question. Jesus didn't need forgiveness, but we did, and we couldn't do it. That is why he died.
23. What evidence is there that god is real other than a book at says the Earth is 6000 years old?
This would take more characters than I have Available. Perhaps another forum topic? In a nutshell, we see Him working in the world today.
24. Can god create something that he cannot control?
Again, this is an illogical question. He is all powerful, but why would He? God does nothing on a whim, or without reason.
25. If free will is necessary for us to truly love god, what happens in heaven? Is it possible to sin in heaven?
In heaven, Satan will be cast down, and there will be no more eveil. There will be no sin to commit, because, unlike Adam and Eve, we will be unable to sin. Adam and Eve were decieved by Satan, but we in heaven will not have that problem. There will only be God, who we will have pefect communion with. We will not be able to sin, because in our free will, we will have only one choice.
26. Why are there so many contradictions in the Bible - isn't god powerful enough to keep the Bible error-free?
I could provide you with a reasonable explaination to everything you claim is a contradiction in the Bible, but now is not the time, and here is not the place for lack of space.
27. Why doesn't God make faith easier?
In Jesus, we had God in the flesh walking among us and performing miracles. He fulfilled all of the prophecies, and proved He was God, even raising Himself from the dead. Could it get any easier than that? Yet, we crucified Him. It is not that faith is impossibly difficult, it is just that we are so stubborn and thick headed.
28. If it really is God who gives Christians their faith (John 6), how can he blame people for not believing in him, especially when it's not their fault they're born with original sin?
See Rom. 9 passage above.
29. Can an omnipotent, omniscient God change his future mind?
No, it goes against His character. Mal. 3:6, James 1:17, Num. 23:19, Isaiah 46:10-11, etc.
30. Why would god make plants before he created sunlight?
Because He is God, and He can. Why not?

I shall stop there :]
brittwaller
Posts: 331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 2:48:25 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 7:28:48 PM, rawrxqueen wrote:
At 10/30/2009 5:24:40 PM, wonderwoman wrote:
If i was him I'd refuse to answer as well. Wouldn't you avoid any chance where others gt to mock you?

i wouldn't be being so mean if he hadn't of been like "bisexual christen?" the very first day i got this account. sorry but it really made me mad. he wants to go around shoving the bible down ppls throats and it offends people.

If you don't want to be offended, this is probably the wrong place for you. The most sensitive and offensive issues are tossed about like feathers in the wind on a daily basis, often with little or no regard to how actual individuals will be affected by searing arguments. Then there are the ignorant and the intolerant. So remember to take everything with either a grain, or pound, of salt.

A debate on the issue he actually struck a nerve with you about would have been more vengefully amusing, if not for the fact that no one wants to hear anything from him, about anything, ever.

Of course, it may be difficult to defend bisexual Christianity, from a logical or scriptural point of view. I am not saying that to be judgmental or intolerant - it simply strikes me as a possibility.

Britt
Don't I take care of them all?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 11:17:22 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/30/2009 8:24:42 PM, Renzzy wrote:
21. Where in the Gospels does Jesus call himself god?
Jhn. 10:30, Jhn. 8:58, etc.
That is not true.

[John 10:30] "I and my Father are one."
[John 8:58] "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

Was Jesus claiming divinity by these statements? Absolutely he did not. Jesus said that God is greater than him and everybody else, and that he cannot do anything except by the will of God. Is this God speaking? No it's not.

[John 14:28] "...my Father is greater than I."
[John 5:30] "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."
[John 10:29] "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all"

Who's speaking here? God or Jesus? It is very clear that Jesus never claimed divinity, nor say that we should worship him. He even prayed to God. There is not any single verse in the Bible speaking about the divinity of Jesus or trinity.
Renzzy
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2009 10:30:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/31/2009 11:17:22 AM, Mirza wrote:
At 10/30/2009 8:24:42 PM, Renzzy wrote:
21. Where in the Gospels does Jesus call himself god?
Jhn. 10:30, Jhn. 8:58, etc.
That is not true.

[John 10:30] "I and my Father are one."
[John 8:58] "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."

Was Jesus claiming divinity by these statements? Absolutely he did not. Jesus said that God is greater than him and everybody else, and that he cannot do anything except by the will of God. Is this God speaking? No it's not.

[John 14:28] "...my Father is greater than I."
[John 5:30] "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."
[John 10:29] "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all"

Who's speaking here? God or Jesus? It is very clear that Jesus never claimed divinity, nor say that we should worship him. He even prayed to God. There is not any single verse in the Bible speaking about the divinity of Jesus or trinity.

You misunderstand the message Jesus was sending in these statements, though I can see how you made the mistake.

First, claiming oneness with the Father is absolutely claiming deity. Second, when Jesus says, "Before Abraham was, I AM", he is refering back to the incident with the burning bush and Moses. In Exodus 3:14, God calls himself by the name "I AM", and Jesus, in John 8:58 is claiming that same title. If you read futher in this passage of John, you will see that the Pharisees also saw this as Jesus cliaming deity, and accused Him of Blasphemy.

So yes, Jesus did claim diety. What we have here is an apparant contradiction. Jesus cliams deity, then he says the Father is greater than Himself. What does this mean? Let me explain.

In coming to earth, Jesus humbled and humiliated Himself. He was equally God, but in order to make the necessary sacrifice for our sins, it was required that He be humbled and humiliated. Note that God set these rules for Himself. He wanted to show us the extent of His love and grace. So Jesus, the Son of God, came to earth as a baby, gave up His omnipresence, and subjected Himself to hunger, weariness, thirst, etc. This was all part of the humiliation. Note that He still had power over the minds of men as He could see into them, He had power over nature in that He controlled it, and He had power over the heavenly beings, as they came down to aid Him after His temptation in the desert.

We still see the attributes of God, but contained in the limmiting body of a man. He chose to do this for our sake. In saying, then, that the person of the Father was greater than the person of the Son (Himself) at this time, then, was completely correct. He had chosen to Humble Himself. Notice how, even after He was killed, He had power over death and the grave; power only seen exibited by God.

Jesus was (and is) the second person in the Godhead, and the One who humbles Himslef on our account. He did not give up His divine nature, only select few of His divine powers, which are still in the hands of the other two persons in the trinity.

Jesus was God.
rawrxqueen
Posts: 32
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2009 6:42:13 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
thank you for actually answering my questions :) your answers actually made sence for the most part :) and its not really being offended that i care about. i just dont let ppl tell me what to think without trying to make them look like a fool. true, i often make myself look like a fool in the process but thats life :P and i dont care
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2009 1:58:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/31/2009 10:32:24 PM, Renzzy wrote:
Jesus was God.

...and remains God, And will be God forever.

Nice story bro.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.