Jump to topic:

Is this an accurate portrayal of Hell?

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 4:02:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
According to whatever doctrines you follow, is this an accurate portrayal of Hell? It's taken from T.S. Eliot's "Murder in the Cathedral", a work which I find quite chilling, and I was wondering if it was based on an actual theistic belief.

Numb the hand, and dry the eyelid
Still the horror... but more horror than when tearing in the belly.
Still the horror... but more horror than when twisting in the fingers,
Than when splitting in the skull.
More than footfall in the passage,
More than shadow in the doorway,
More than fury in the hall.
The agents of hell disappear;
The human, they shrink and dissolve into dust on the wind.
Forgotten, unmemorable.
Only is here the white, flat face of Death, God's silent servant.
And behind the face of Death, the Judgement.
And behind the Judgement, the Void, more horrid than active shapes of Hell.
Emptiness.
Absence.
Separation from God.
The horror of the effortless journey to the empty land,
Which is no land, only emptiness, absence,
The Void.
Where those who were men can no longer turn the mind to distraction, delusion, escape into dreams, pretend.
Where the soul is no longer deceived, for there are no objects, no tones, no colors, no forms,
To distract, to divert the soul from seeing itself, foully united, forever.
Nothing with nothing
Not what we call death, but what, beyond death, is not death.
We fear, we fear.

(I improvised the formatting and punctuation, as I have an audio recording of a performance and could not find the script in print.)
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 4:55:28 PM
At 2/6/2013 4:37:19 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Sounds like a heart-warming and inviting place.
Yes, Eliot isn't exactly known for his upbeat optimism. Two of his more famous, and depressing, lines:
I should have been a pair of ragged claws,
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Orpheus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 6:00:41 PM
From my musings and readings and questionings this is what I've discovered Hell to be at it's core.

"Emptiness.
Absence.
Separation from God."

I believe those are the biggest characteristics of "hell".