Jump to topic:

Atheism vs. Christianity: Sexism in the Bible

Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:01:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This thread will attempt to address several questions. Is the bible teaching sexism? Is this sexism God's viewpoint or only of individual writers? What is the extent of this sexism if any? Is this sexism ethical? What does this say about the bible?

I submit one piece of evidence:

1 Corinthians 14
34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.[g]
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:11:26 PM
Sexism is not God's viewpoint nor is it ethical. Some individual writers in the bible were obviously sexist. Some weren't. Others weren't overtly sexist but they lived in a society where patriarchy was heavily entrenched within societal structures (way more so than today, obviously) about women and this, quite understandably, affected their attitudes towards women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

That guy got heresy hunted like crazy for writing that article.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:15:00 PM
At 2/10/2013 1:11:26 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Sexism is not God's viewpoint nor is it ethical. Some individual writers in the bible were obviously sexist. Some weren't. Others weren't overtly sexist but they lived in a society where patriarchy was heavily entrenched within societal structures (way more so than today, obviously) about women and this, quite understandably, affected their attitudes towards women.

So an infallible being chose a fallible method of conveying his point? Nonsensical much?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:23:27 PM
At 2/10/2013 1:15:00 PM, muzebreak wrote:

So an infallible being chose a fallible method of conveying his point? Nonsensical much?

No, it's not nonsensical. Care to debate me on that?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 1:29:30 PM
At 2/10/2013 1:23:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/10/2013 1:15:00 PM, muzebreak wrote:

No, it's not nonsensical. Care to debate me on that?

Do I care to debate on whether there is sense in an infallible being making its point through fallible means? No, not particularly. If your a Christian, and you believe that the bible was written by men, then I would be willing to debate that any god of said bible is either incompetent, didn't care to get his point across very well, or wanted the misconstrued point to be construed as his own.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2013 3:50:36 PM
At 2/10/2013 1:01:01 PM, Dan4reason wrote:
This thread will attempt to address several questions. Is the bible teaching sexism? Is this sexism God's viewpoint or only of individual writers? What is the extent of this sexism if any? Is this sexism ethical? What does this say about the bible?

1 Corinthians 14
34 Women[f] should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.[g]

Eh, I find the Bible's chauvinism no more suprirsing or historically out of place than its encouragement of a flat earth cosmology.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 12:05:26 PM
Two important things to remember here regarding christianity.

What was Paul trying to establish?. Paul's mission in 1 Corinthians 14:34 was to establish order in the church and reinforce Colossians 3:18, which is order. God is pleased by THE ORDER, not abuse.

What is the commandment and the instruction by the word of God to men?

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave Himself for it.
Here, men are instructed to love their wives as to give their lives for them. This means to cherish our wives more than our own life. In this regard, there is no liscence for abuse. But God is also pleased by order, that is "His order", whether it is offensive or not, we cannot escape order in all of His creation.

My point here being, that within christian teaching men are commanded to love their women more than themselves. I think if we look at the "whole" we can have a more clear understanding. I don't believe that christianity is meant to be sexist. Just my opinion. In 1 Timothy 5:2, we are told to treat elder women as MOTHERS, and younger women as SISTERS, with ALL purity as well.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 1:58:16 PM
I debated Imagination on OP's post in my debate, Is The Bible Sexist?

debate.org/debates/Is-the-bible-sexist

I lost, but it was close.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:12:10 PM
This thread will attempt to address several questions.

Is the bible teaching sexism?

If you view gender roles as sexist then I suppose you could make that argument. If verses are cherry-picked you could also say that extremist behavior is supported, but if taken as a whole, I think the Bible is fair to both genders.

Is this sexism God's viewpoint or only of individual writers?

I don't think there's a need to assume that there is sexism, but I admit that societies back then were very patriarchal, when compared with today's views. Therefore, it's naturally going to be reflected in the writings, but I wouldn't say that God's viewpoints are sexist.

What is the extent of this sexism if any?

Again, many see gender roles as sexist. Some may have a problem with the husband being the head of the family, as Christ is the head of the church, saying that women shouldn't preach. Sexism is in the eye of the definer.

Is this sexism ethical?

If you define a behavior or attitude as sexism then it's likely that you're going to call it unethical. I wouldn't venture to say that something is unethical if it is in keeping with biblical teaching.

What does this say about the bible?

That we should read the whole thing.

1 Corinthians 14

Is this too much to ask?? Can't we get one short period out of the week where they have to close their pie-hole??

Seriously, I don't see this verse as a problem. The church should be an extended family. Since man is the head of the family, why wouldn't he also be the head of the church, and the preacher. I don't see anymore wrong with this verse than I do a parent telling their child to be quiet in church. It's disruptive.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:14:43 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:12:10 PM, medic0506 wrote:
This thread will attempt to address several questions.

Is the bible teaching sexism?

If you view gender roles as sexist then I suppose you could make that argument. If verses are cherry-picked you could also say that extremist behavior is supported, but if taken as a whole, I think the Bible is fair to both genders.

Is this sexism God's viewpoint or only of individual writers?

I don't think there's a need to assume that there is sexism, but I admit that societies back then were very patriarchal, when compared with today's views. Therefore, it's naturally going to be reflected in the writings, but I wouldn't say that God's viewpoints are sexist.

What is the extent of this sexism if any?

Again, many see gender roles as sexist. Some may have a problem with the husband being the head of the family, as Christ is the head of the church, saying that women shouldn't preach. Sexism is in the eye of the definer.

Is this sexism ethical?

If you define a behavior or attitude as sexism then it's likely that you're going to call it unethical. I wouldn't venture to say that something is unethical if it is in keeping with biblical teaching.

What does this say about the bible?

That we should read the whole thing.

1 Corinthians 14

Is this too much to ask?? Can't we get one short period out of the week where they have to close their pie-hole??

Seriously, I don't see this verse as a problem. The church should be an extended family. Since man is the head of the family, why wouldn't he also be the head of the church, and the preacher. I don't see anymore wrong with this verse than I do a parent telling their child to be quiet in church. It's disruptive.

Medic, do you believe a woman should be able to be the head of a family, and if not then why?

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:59:17 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:14:43 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Medic, do you believe a woman should be able to be the head of a family, and if not then why?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:07:09 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:59:17 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 8:14:43 PM, muzebreak wrote:

I still have no idea as to your opinion on the subject.