Jump to topic:

Debate

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 3:40:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I was just wondering if anyone wanted to do a Skype debate. You can suggest a topic, or we can go with a fairly broad topic like does god exist or is there any evidence for a specific god.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:10:22 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:00:19 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I might be interested in this.

Are you pro-religion or anti-religion? And would you record the debate?

I'm mostly anti religion, in that I believe organised religion is a tool that has been used for horrendous atrocities. I believe that organised religion has to much capability for evil, but I'm not sure i would be able to defend the contention of banning it. On recording it, if I have the capability to do it then I had planned to. But my laptop broke recently, so I might need to use skype on my phone, and would be unable to. If you didn't want me to, I of course would respect that request.

Do you have ideas for a debate topic?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:19:20 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:10:22 PM, muzebreak wrote:

I'm mostly anti religion, in that I believe organised religion is a tool that has been used for horrendous atrocities. I believe that organised religion has to much capability for evil, but I'm not sure i would be able to defend the contention of banning it. On recording it, if I have the capability to do it then I had planned to. But my laptop broke recently, so I might need to use skype on my phone, and would be unable to. If you didn't want me to, I of course would respect that request.

Well, that escalated quickly
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:29:16 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:19:20 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

Did it? Am I not good enough to get told this by Will Ferrel?

Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:30:56 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:29:16 PM, muzebreak wrote:

It kind of did...
And Will Ferrel has no time for you mortals
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 4:35:37 PM
At 2/11/2013 4:30:56 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
At 2/11/2013 4:29:16 PM, muzebreak wrote:

It kind of did...
And Will Ferrel has no time for you mortals

Fine then. What ev. I don't even care.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 5:03:33 PM
muze, I am helping running a skype-show that goes on youtube (TheLyingGhost Show) which you'd probably be able to discuss this on. We're trying to get on a British-time one to make it easier for more discussion to go on. Would you want to take part? We could do "The Value of Religion" as a topic quite reasonably.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2013 5:07:57 PM
At 2/11/2013 5:03:33 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
muze, I am helping running a skype-show that goes on youtube (TheLyingGhost Show) which you'd probably be able to discuss this on. We're trying to get on a British-time one to make it easier for more discussion to go on. Would you want to take part? We could do "The Value of Religion" as a topic quite reasonably.

Yeah, sure. Sounds like fun.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 2:07:00 PM
Bump