Total Posts:62|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Does the bible depict God as a caretaker ....

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:16:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/12/2013 8:13:15 PM, autodidact wrote:
... of the human race?

I believe it depicts him as a malicious, jealous, murdering, racist, bigot.

But a caretaker? No, definitely not.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
autodidact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:22:20 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:16:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
... of the human race?

Then why in metaphors does the bible equate him to a shepherd or a father?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:29:29 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:22:20 PM, autodidact wrote:
... of the human race?

Because that sounds nicer then what I said.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:36:01 PM
... of the human race?

Not to Godwin or anything, but I could analogize Hitler with a shepherd of the German people, a father to a new land. He'd still be Hitler.

When you ask about how someone is depicted in a text that has general descriptions and explicit actions, ignoring the explicit actions in favor of the flowery descriptions seems a bit ridiculous.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:37:58 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:36:01 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
... of the human race?

Not to Godwin or anything, but I could analogize Hitler with a shepherd of the German people, a father to a new land. He'd still be Hitler.

When you ask about how someone is depicted in a text that has general descriptions and explicit actions, ignoring the explicit actions in favor of the flowery descriptions seems a bit ridiculous.

Funnily enough, even if you ignore the actions god is specifically described as jealous and short tempered. And probably a whole lot of other horrible things.

joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:56:55 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:37:58 PM, muzebreak wrote:
... of the human race?

Funnily enough, even if you ignore the actions god is specifically described as jealous and short tempered. And probably a whole lot of other horrible things.

Romans 9 sums up Gods motives and humanity enough for me.

For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

(Romans 9:15-16 ESV)

But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory"even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
(Romans 9:20-24 ESV)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 8:59:31 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:56:55 PM, joneszj wrote:
... of the human race?

For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." So then it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy.

But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory"even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

God is not merciful. Give me one example of god being merciful.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:00:43 PM
@joneszj

If clay was sentient, that would make the potter a monster.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:02:15 PM
At 2/12/2013 8:59:31 PM, muzebreak wrote:
... of the human race?

I would, but then I remembered Matt 7:6

"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.
(Matthew 7:6 ESV)
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:02:20 PM
@muzebreak:

Well, to be fair, joneszj's quote didn't say God ever showed mercy. It just said he's merciful to those he wants to show mercy to; that doesn't mean that he wants to show mercy to anybody.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:03:44 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:02:15 PM, joneszj wrote:
... of the human race?

"Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

Ah, an ad hominem. You can't argue, so you insult. How very Christian of you.

joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:04:14 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:00:43 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
@joneszj

I hold a Combatibilists view of Gods sovereignty. And a Reformed theodicy often called the greater glory theodicy. So, God is not a monster... I guess we could do this all night, but I am not up for it.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:04:58 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:02:20 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
@muzebreak:

Well, to be fair, joneszj's quote didn't say God ever showed mercy. It just said he's merciful to those he wants to show mercy to; that doesn't mean that he wants to show mercy to anybody.

Just the elect. It is fairly obvious to me from those verses.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:05:17 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:03:44 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/12/2013 9:02:15 PM, joneszj wrote:
... of the human race?

Ah, an ad hominem. You can't argue, so you insult. How very Christian of you.

blah blah blah :)
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:09:32 PM
@muzebreak:

Simply means God has elected to show mercy upon a certain class of person. You'll occasionally find someone who thinks God singles out each individual, perhaps at birth, for election or non-election (resultant damnation).
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:11:35 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:04:14 PM, joneszj wrote:
@joneszj

I hold a Combatibilists view of Gods sovereignty. And a Reformed theodicy often called the greater glory theodicy. So, God is not a monster... I guess we could do this all night, but I am not up for it.

You posted a bible quote that equated people to inanimate lumps of clay. When called on it, you name-drop a few philosophical concepts and then claim you're "not up for [further discussion]".

You stay classy, joneszj.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:11:55 PM
@muzebreak:

Fair enough. But he could of said that, rather then insulting me and acting like a child.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:13:19 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:09:32 PM, annanicole wrote:
@muzebreak:

Simply means God has elected to show mercy upon a certain class of person. You'll occasionally find someone who thinks God singles out each individual, perhaps at birth, for election or non-election (resultant damnation).

While those arguments have been made, and have some support in other bible verses, those specific bible verses in isolation do not make that case necessarily.

I can say "I will give $500 to who I want to, and not give $500 to who I don't want to"...that doesn't mean I will, in fact, give $500 to anyone necessarily.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:13:48 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:11:55 PM, muzebreak wrote:
@muzebreak:

Fair enough. But he could of said that, rather then insulting me and acting like a child.

Considering he has a childish worldview, one cannot be surprised. His daddy told him so!
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:14:29 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:11:35 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
@joneszj

You posted a bible quote that equated people to inanimate lumps of clay. When called on it, you name-drop a few philosophical concepts and then claim you're "not up for [further discussion]".

No, its just late ;-)

If you want you can do a little research on it. It is not like I have some obligation to go into any detail on it. Your and Muze's reputation of bashing Christianity is quite obvious. Hence, Matt 7:6.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:15:29 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:13:48 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
@muzebreak:

Considering he has a childish worldview, one cannot be surprised. His daddy told him so!

Irony...
annanicole
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:16:55 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:13:19 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
@muzebreak:

While those arguments have been made, and have some support in other bible verses, those specific bible verses in isolation do not make that case necessarily.

I can say "I will give $500 to who I want to, and not give $500 to who I don't want to"...that doesn't mean I will, in fact, give $500 to anyone necessarily.

True. Rom 9 does not actually "sum up" anything. One would have to look elsewhere to further define the terms employed by Paul.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:18:19 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:15:29 PM, joneszj wrote:
@muzebreak:

Irony...

Yes, except that I was joking, and you really were being childish.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:18:56 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:16:55 PM, annanicole wrote:
At 2/12/2013 9:13:19 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
@muzebreak:

True. Rom 9 does not actually "sum up" anything. One would have to look elsewhere to further define the terms employed by Paul.

Thanks Anna, kinda beat me to it. It sum it up fine for me. I never felt the need to go into detail on 'if' God would save anyone.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:20:08 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:18:19 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/12/2013 9:15:29 PM, joneszj wrote:
@muzebreak:

Irony...

Yes, except that I was joking, and you really were being childish.

Uh-huh.... You were joking, but I was being childish...? (rhetorical)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:20:23 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:14:29 PM, joneszj wrote:
@joneszj

No, its just late ;-)

If you want you can do a little research on it. It is not like I have some obligation to go into any detail on it. Your and Muze's reputation of bashing Christianity is quite obvious. Hence, Matt 7:6.

I have a reputation on DDO? I thought you had to have at least 500 posts to have one of those.

joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:21:50 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:20:23 PM, muzebreak wrote:
@joneszj

No, its just late ;-)

I have a reputation on DDO? I thought you had to have at least 500 posts to have one of those.

I guess it depends on your subject, what you say about it, and how many times you do :)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:25:29 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:21:50 PM, joneszj wrote:
At 2/12/2013 9:20:23 PM, muzebreak wrote:
@joneszj

No, its just late ;-)

I guess it depends on your subject, what you say about it, and how many times you do :)

Do I bash Christianity a lot? I don't think i do, but it is a fairly prevalent religion on here, and I don't exactly care for it. But that isn't an excuse to insult me and act childish.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2013 9:27:27 PM
At 2/12/2013 9:20:08 PM, joneszj wrote:

Uh-huh.... You were joking, but I was being childish...? (rhetorical)

Yes. I was being childish in direct response to manner in which you were behaving. It's a rhetorical device; perhaps I should have added (rhetorical) to the end of it, so you'd know?

You, on the other hand, are still being childish. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with acting like a child, of course, particularly if you want what you say to be dismissed.