Jump to topic:

Creationists, a question for you!

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:39:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
When God created the animals, what did he create?

Did he create a pair of dogs? Or did he create a pair of rottweilers, and a pair of wolves, etc.?

Did he create a pair of each species, or a pair of each genus, or phyla, etc.?

I don't know much about the modern classifications, but at the moment, I think God created a pair from each phyla, and through mutations (call it whatever you want, evolution, natural selection) the species we have today came into being.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 11:50:00 AM
At 2/15/2013 11:39:33 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Did he create a pair of dogs? Or did he create a pair of rottweilers, and a pair of wolves, etc.?

I don't know much about the modern classifications, but at the moment, I think God created a pair from each phyla, and through mutations (call it whatever you want, evolution, natural selection) the species we have today came into being.

The difference between us, is if we're wrong and meet God, he won't be able to accuse me of insulting his intelligence, his creation and having delusions of insane grandeur at our individual place within the universe.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 12:32:38 PM
If you die and your wrong, you've believed that humans are a big part of the universe, and that the world is superficially complex, without the incredibly processes of universal and biological evolution that, if divinely created, is probably the most advanced, awesome and insanely intelligent way of creating life that it is possible to think of.

Therefore, if your wrong, your essentially insulting gods intelligence and guilty of incredible hubris.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 12:33:45 PM
At 2/15/2013 11:50:00 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

The difference between us, is if we're wrong and meet God, he won't be able to accuse me of insulting his intelligence, his creation and having delusions of insane grandeur at our individual place within the universe.

At 2/15/2013 12:26:48 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Huh?

He's saying that there is no evidence of that, and so therefore if he meets God, he can't be accused of having delusions of grandeur or making things up that don't make sense or that go against available evidence. Which, I think, is a bit unfair to the question you posed, but I understand from whence the opinion came.

(On a side note: "...the teaching authority of the Church does not forbid that, in conformity with the present state of human sciences and sacred theology, research and discussions . . . take place with regard to the doctrine of evolution, in as far as it inquires into the origin of the human body as coming from pre-existent and living matter"[but] the Catholic faith obliges us to hold that souls are immediately created by God" (Pius XII, Humani Generis 36).)
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 12:36:31 PM
At 2/15/2013 12:33:45 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/15/2013 11:50:00 AM, Ramshutu wrote:

At 2/15/2013 12:26:48 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Huh?

He's saying that there is no evidence of that, and so therefore if he meets God, he can't be accused of having delusions of grandeur or making things up that don't make sense or that go against available evidence. Which, I think, is a bit unfair to the question you posed

Indeed.
DudeWithoutTheE
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 1:01:52 PM
Well, if you buy into Theistic evolution, which is the position of the Church you worship in, the question becomes meaningless. God Almighty sets in motion a series of events which He knows due to his omniscience will lead to, well, exactly what the most anti-God atheist thinks happened.

If you buy Creationism, it probably just isn't that important. Maybe He created two. More likely, He created different numbers of each, otherwise by the pyramid of biomass all the herbivorous animals would have been eaten, then all the carnivores starved. (This incidentally is a pretty strong objection to the literal truth of the Flood as well).
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 1:05:28 PM
At 2/15/2013 1:01:52 PM, DudeWithoutTheE wrote:
Well, if you buy into Theistic evolution, which is the position of the Church you worship in,

Since when is Theistic evolution an official position?

Does this mean I can't be a creationist anymore? Sad times.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 1:17:08 PM
There are over 150 registered breeds of dogs. All are results of selective breeding and the vast majority are less than 200 years old.

I'm giving the creationist perspective some concession; 6000 years is plenty of time to evolve variation. There are three different types of elephants. 6000 years is plentiful to achieve that.

Using a domestic breed to negate creationism is silly. It actually helps their case.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 2:06:02 PM
At 2/15/2013 1:05:28 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
Well, if you buy into Theistic evolution, which is the position of the Church you worship in,

No, it doesn't mean that.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 2:06:54 PM
I think God created a pair from each phyla, and through mutations (call it whatever you want, evolution, natural selection) the species we have today came into being.

Why a pair. Why not just one, or 147?
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 2:14:40 PM

No, my church never officially supported evolution. It merely allows its followers to believe it with conditions.

the question becomes meaningless. God Almighty sets in motion a series of events which He knows due to his omniscience will lead to, well, exactly what the most anti-God atheist thinks happened.

If you buy Creationism, it probably just isn't that important. Maybe He created two. More likely, He created different numbers of each, otherwise by the pyramid of biomass all the herbivorous animals would have been eaten, then all the carnivores starved. (This incidentally is a pretty strong objection to the literal truth of the Flood as well).

You're assuming that carnivores were always carnivores. Maybe some herbivorous became carnivorous after the fall.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:20:02 PM
At 2/15/2013 2:06:54 PM, wiploc wrote:
I think God created a pair from each phyla, and through mutations (call it whatever you want, evolution, natural selection) the species we have today came into being.

Why a pair. Why not just one, or 147?

But of most he made seven...

which has interesting connotations for the sacrilege of a pair.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:23:19 PM

There isn't enough detail to be able to know that specifically, to my knowledge.

From what I can tell, He created kinds. Species and other means of classification are man-made attempts at classifying.

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 3:29:24 PM
At 2/15/2013 3:23:19 PM, medic0506 wrote:

From what I can tell, He created kinds. Species and other means of classification are man-made attempts at classifying.

What, specifically, is a "kind"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GODisreal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 4:26:41 PM
Before the fall there was no such thing as death. If we look around, we can see that God is a God of variety. We don't know if he made 2, or 20 kinds of an animal. However, we do know that he gave them the ability to variate in sizes shapes and colors, and obviously to multiply. In regards to your first question, no church has a position, because no one knows how many of each kind he made, so your question will never be answered, at least here on earth. And why don't we have an answer for you? Because it simply does not matter. If it did matter, I'm sure it would be in the be in the creation account. Being that this has no relevance to salvation, or any other benefit to a christian lifestyle, I myself don't even care.
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 4:46:41 PM
At 2/15/2013 1:05:28 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:

I don't want to get into semantics but aren't theistic evolutionists technically creationists? They just are not young earth creationist. I haven't studied the terminology much so I may be way off
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 4:52:08 PM
At 2/15/2013 4:46:41 PM, stubs wrote:
I don't want to get into semantics but aren't theistic evolutionists technically creationists? They just are not young earth creationist. I haven't studied the terminology much so I may be way off
Yes. I'm a creationist because I believe God created everything - NOT because I deny evolution or other scientific theories.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 5:13:04 PM
At 2/15/2013 3:29:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

We don't get a detailed definition, but we know it includes that which can bring forth.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2013 6:39:09 PM
At 2/15/2013 5:13:04 PM, medic0506 wrote:

We don't get a detailed definition, but we know it includes that which can bring forth.

That's dumb.

Everyone knows God created 'kinds.' What I made this ENTIRE thread about is to find out exactly what the definition of 'kind' is!

If you wanna be an aszhole and be like "well we can't ever know for sure" then GTFO of my thread.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 1:06:24 AM
At 2/15/2013 6:39:09 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

That's dumb.

Everyone knows God created 'kinds.' What I made this ENTIRE thread about is to find out exactly what the definition of 'kind' is!

If you wanna be an aszhole and be like "well we can't ever know for sure" then GTFO of my thread.

Well, the overall tone of this thread certainly took a sudden turn.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 1:08:09 AM
Its pis*sing off when people come into your thread to basically call your question stupid or say it can't be answered.
GODisreal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 2:49:46 AM
At 2/16/2013 1:08:09 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Its pis*sing off when people come into your thread to basically call your question stupid or say it can't be answered.

Yo bro what you want me to do, lie? I ain't saying its stupid. No one can answer it cause we don't know. No matter how hard or how much you piss, or get pissed, the truth is the truth.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:19:52 PM
At 2/16/2013 2:49:46 AM, GODisreal wrote:
At 2/16/2013 1:08:09 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Yo bro what you want me to do, lie? I ain't saying its stupid. No one can answer it cause we don't know. No matter how hard or how much you piss, or get pissed, the truth is the truth.

Of course we can't know, and we can't know for sure if God talked to Moses in a man's voice or a woman's voice, but that doesn't mean we can't speculate given the evidence we have.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:34:16 PM
At 2/15/2013 6:39:09 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

That's dumb.

lol...Blade asked me a question and I answered it as best as I can.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:51:40 PM

You do realize that creating a pair from each phyla (I prefer division. Botanist quibble) would mean that your deity created only one pair of flowering plants, only one type of chordate, only one type of club fungus, only one type of fern, etc. etc. Looking at the fossil record, this position seems incredibly difficult to defend. Not to mention the fact that humans and apes would still share a common ancestor, an observance which much of creationism seems centered around denying.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:54:53 PM
At 2/16/2013 12:51:40 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

You do realize that creating a pair from each phyla (I prefer division. Botanist quibble) would mean that your deity created only one pair of flowering plants, only one type of chordate, only one type of club fungus, only one type of fern, etc. etc. Looking at the fossil record, this position seems incredibly difficult to defend. Not to mention the fact that humans and apes would still share a common ancestor, an observance which much of creationism seems centered around denying.

Ah, what about family then?
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 12:56:30 PM

As far as I can tell "Kind" is a man-made classification as well, simply a more vague and archaic one.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 1:00:16 PM
At 2/16/2013 12:56:30 PM, Polaris wrote:

As far as I can tell "Kind" is a man-made classification as well, simply a more vague and archaic one.

ok
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2013 1:03:46 PM
At 2/16/2013 12:56:30 PM, Polaris wrote:

Obviously, but I want to know what 'kind' would be by today's standards.

Oh look, I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Apparently, cattle, owls, ravens, and hawks are 'kinds.' So how are these classified today? Is owls a genus? A family?