Jump to topic:

The Bible Doesn't Say Anything About A Pope

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:53:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I see no reason why I should worship an old man in Rome. Why do Catholics do this?
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 12:58:56 PM
Because apostle Peter started the Catholic church. The Roman Catholics think because He did, that means the Pope is his successor. Being that successor means that the Pope is God on earth. He has power to make judgements for all Christians by that power. Therefore many worship him but all it is is as you said, worshipping a man. Paganism.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:03:29 PM
At 2/20/2013 12:58:56 PM, Pennington wrote:
Because apostle Peter started the Catholic church. The Roman Catholics think because He did, that means the Pope is his successor. Being that successor means that the Pope is God on earth. He has power to make judgements for all Christians by that power. Therefore many worship him but all it is is as you said, worshipping a man. Paganism.

That's not what Paganism means. Nor is it what the Catholic church actually teaches. Yeesh.

Garret, considering your previous statements, I have to ask... wha?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:07:35 PM

Well, I wouldn't call it paganism, like bladerunner060 said, its more like idolatry. Stupid Catholics claim to follow the 10 commandments yet breaking the FIRST ONE is part of their dogma!
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:09:46 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:07:35 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Well, I wouldn't call it paganism, like bladerunner060 said, its more like idolatry. Stupid Catholics claim to follow the 10 commandments yet breaking the FIRST ONE is part of their dogma!

They can't even number them right. They cut out the one about graven images because they love their idols so much.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:10:50 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:03:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

That's not what Paganism means. Nor is it what the Catholic church actually teaches. Yeesh.

Are you suggesting that a proclaimed Christian can not be a Pagan? Or that a high Christian based church doesn't or will not teach Paganism? Really? Please do explain?

A Pagan worships idols or numerous Gods. The Roman Catholic church does both. They honor and adore Mary and many saints instead of directly worshipping Jesus Christ himself. We can also connect Mary and many saints as just new interpretations of old pagan gods and goddess.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:13:59 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:10:50 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/20/2013 1:03:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Are you suggesting that a proclaimed Christian can not be a Pagan? Or that a high Christian based church doesn't or will not teach Paganism? Really? Please do explain?

A Pagan worships idols or numerous Gods. The Roman Catholic church does both. They honor and adore Mary and many saints instead of directly worshipping Jesus Christ himself. We can also connect Mary and many saints as just new interpretations of old pagan gods and goddess.

The worship of Mary can probably be traced back to the worship of some pagan Goddess of Fertility. As for the worship of the saints... again, how do Catholics even attempt to reconcile this with the 10 Commandments?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:15:39 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:13:59 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

The worship of Mary can probably be traced back to the worship of some pagan Goddess of Fertility. As for the worship of the saints... again, how do Catholics even attempt to reconcile this with the 10 Commandments?:

Because magically their description of worshipping defers from the average person and the Bible most importantly.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:16:28 PM

The Bible was compiled by men - a Christian's guide on what to worship was dictated by a group of men. Some books were added and some books were deemed apocryphal. These books were transcribed and translated by men for over a millennia before they were added to one of the main canons. And of course, they were all originally written by men, purporting to be mearly the inspiration of "God"; no different from The Book of Mormon, the Koran and countless other works.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:19:57 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:16:28 PM, vbaculum wrote:

The Bible was compiled by men - a Christian's guide on what to worship was dictated by a group of men. Some books were added and some books were deemed apocryphal. These books were transcribed and translated by men for over a millennia before they were added to one of the main canons. And of course, they were all originally written by men, purporting to be mearly the inspiration of "God"; no different from The Book of Mormon, the Koran and countless other works.

No different huh? Either you lack in reading them all in comparison or you just do not take the time for such research and just blurt what ever you like.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:24:03 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:19:57 PM, Pennington wrote:

No different huh? Either you lack in reading them all in comparison or you just do not take the time for such research and just blurt what ever you like.

I said they were alike in claiming divine inspiration.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:27:31 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:24:03 PM, vbaculum wrote:

I said they were alike in claiming divine inspiration.:

Of all those books you refer, how many of them were written by multiple people ranging in hundreds of years apart that somehow comes together in harmony?
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:32:57 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:27:31 PM, Pennington wrote:

Of all those books you refer, how many of them were written by multiple people ranging in hundreds of years apart that somehow comes together in harmony?

If you're asserting that the Christian Bible comes together harmoniously, I don't see it.

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:36:32 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:32:57 PM, vbaculum wrote:
If you're asserting that the Christian Bible comes together harmoniously, I don't see it.:

Now who's problem is that? I see it. Billions of others see it. Many more that lived before us have seen it but you haven't. I understand your reluctance to see it.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:45:43 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:36:32 PM, Pennington wrote:
If you're asserting that the Christian Bible comes together harmoniously, I don't see it.:

Now who's problem is that?

It's not your problem but it is your burden to demonstrate its harmony.

I see it. Billions of others see it. Many more that lived before us have seen it but you haven't.

You must be new here :)

Brush up on your logical fallacies: (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies).

I understand your reluctance to see it.

I couldn't for the life of me see harmony in the collection of books that comprise the Christian Bible. The blood soaked pages of the Old Testement; the human sacrifice, serving as the centerpiece of the New Testement, the acid trip of Revelations; I mean WTF. If the point of the Christian Bible is that the universe and Yahweh are perfect instantiations of derangment and madness, then yeah, I can kind of see it.

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 1:58:57 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:45:43 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It's not your problem but it is your burden to demonstrate its harmony.:
I can not demonstrate something to someone who has no interest in seeing it.

I see it. Billions of others see it. Many more that lived before us have seen it but you haven't.

You must be new here :):
How did you guess? My number of post?

Brush up on your logical fallacies: (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies).:
So, if I have billions of people who support my view, that is considered a fallacy? Hmm....seems like the same thing that mainstream science does all the time. I see your point because I see fallacies in science also.

I couldn't for the life of me see harmony in the collection of books that comprise the Christian Bible. The blood soaked pages of the Old Testament; the human sacrifice, serving as the centerpiece of the New Testament, the acid trip of Revelations; I mean WTF. If the point of the Christian Bible is that the universe and Yahweh are perfect instantiations of derangement and madness, then yeah, I can kind of see it.:

There you go! You could not for the life of you see the wisdom in the Bible. You could not see how it comes together. Why should I even waste a breath or type a word trying to explain it to you? You also some how use the descriptions of the actions of people in the Bible to judge God as deranged and mad. That is your critical mistake. Those descriptions are what people did and the punishment God gave to them because of their actions. Its sad to see people blame God for their actions and the punishment that comes with it. As if we do not punish criminals or children because of their actions.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:13:54 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:58:57 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/20/2013 1:45:43 PM, vbaculum wrote:
It's not your problem but it is your burden to demonstrate its harmony.:
I can not demonstrate something to someone who has no interest in seeing it.

You must be new here :):
How did you guess? My number of post?

Brush up on your logical fallacies: (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies).:
So, if I have billions of people who support my view, that is considered a fallacy? Hmm....seems like the same thing that mainstream science does all the time. I see your point because I see fallacies in science also.

I couldn't for the life of me see harmony in the collection of books that comprise the Christian Bible. The blood soaked pages of the Old Testament; the human sacrifice, serving as the centerpiece of the New Testament, the acid trip of Revelations; I mean WTF. If the point of the Christian Bible is that the universe and Yahweh are perfect instantiations of derangement and madness, then yeah, I can kind of see it.:

There you go! You could not for the life of you see the wisdom in the Bible. You could not see how it comes together. Why should I even waste a breath or type a word trying to explain it to you?

Because my eternal soul my depend on it and it's your Christian duty to do so.

You also some how use the descriptions of the actions of people in the Bible to judge God as deranged and mad.

Well the animal sacrifices of the OT were to win Yahweh's favor, which they apparently did. The wars of the OT were supported and commanded by the Almighty as well. The human sacrifice of Jesus was Yahweh's master plan. I don't know who gave John the acid, though.

blah blah blah

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:24:59 PM
At 2/20/2013 2:13:54 PM, vbaculum wrote:
There you go! You could not for the life of you see the wisdom in the Bible. You could not see how it comes together. Why should I even waste a breath or type a word trying to explain it to you?

Because my eternal soul my depend on it and it's your Christian duty to do so.:
It is my duty to explain to those that are interested in learning. It is not to argue about it.

You also some how use the descriptions of the actions of people in the Bible to judge God as deranged and mad.

Well the animal sacrifices of the OT were to win Yahweh's favor, which they apparently did. The wars of the OT were supported and commanded by the Almighty as well. The human sacrifice of Jesus was Yahweh's master plan. I don't know who gave John the acid, though.

Acid is your added claim. Animal sacrifices were to cleanse the sin not to gain favor from God. We all have God's favor but when we refuse that favor then ugly things tend to happen without God. It doesnt mean something bad will happen to non-believers but chances are they will. It doesn't mean only good happens to those that believe in God but more than likely they do. Jesus was God in the flesh so therefore God sacrificed himself for all of man and yes that is the master plan. Wars are man-made and man caused. God just helps people who believes in Him and sends punishment to those who dont.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 2:33:52 PM
Are you suggesting that a proclaimed Christian can not be a Pagan?

By definition? Yes.

pagan
pa"gan
noun
one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks. Synonyms: polytheist.
a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:10:25 PM
At 2/20/2013 2:24:59 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/20/2013 2:13:54 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Because my eternal soul my depend on it and it's your Christian duty to do so.:
It is my duty to explain to those that are interested in learning. It is not to argue about it.

Acid is your added claim. Animal sacrifices were to cleanse the sin not to gain favor from God. We all have God's favor but when we refuse that favor then ugly things tend to happen without God. It doesnt mean something bad will happen to non-believers but chances are they will. It doesn't mean only good happens to those that believe in God but more than likely they do. Jesus was God in the flesh so therefore God sacrificed himself for all of man and yes that is the master plan. Wars are man-made and man caused. God just helps people who believes in Him and sends punishment to those who dont.

And you believe all this? Why?

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:24:04 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:27:31 PM, Pennington wrote:

If you're asserting that the Christian Bible comes together harmoniously, I don't see it.

Acts 8:17, 1 Tim 4:14, Heb 6:2... this is where the apostolic succession of the true bishops come from. Notice the harmony. Also make note of the LACK OF MENTION OF A 'HEAD' BISHOP OR POPE.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:24:54 PM
At 2/20/2013 2:33:52 PM, Polaris wrote:

By definition? Yes.

pagan
pa"gan
noun
one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks. Synonyms: polytheist.
a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.:

How naive you are.
So you are suggesting that if someone claims they are something then that means they are? If I said I play secondbase for the Cleveland Indians, does that mean I do?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:26:22 PM
At 2/20/2013 3:10:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
And you believe all this? Why?:

Because in my heart and logic it appears to be the truth to me.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:26:56 PM
At 2/20/2013 3:24:54 PM, Pennington wrote:

By definition? Yes.

pagan
pa"gan
noun

How naive you are.
So you are suggesting that if someone claims they are something then that means they are? If I said I play secondbase for the Cleveland Indians, does that mean I do?

Nope, just like if I say I'm the Pope doesn't mean I'm God-King. Unless by God-King, I mean heretical leader of the pagan, idolatrous Catholics.
Polaris
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:31:55 PM
At 2/20/2013 3:24:54 PM, Pennington wrote:

By definition? Yes.

pagan
pa"gan
noun

How naive you are.

Ah...should have noticed that you snuck 'proclaimed' in there. Even though the question was about the catholic church.
natoast
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:42:05 PM
At 2/20/2013 12:53:36 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
I see no reason why I should worship an old man in Rome. Why do Catholics do this?

I see no reason why I should worship an all knowing creator.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 3:59:25 PM
At 2/20/2013 3:42:05 PM, natoast wrote:

I see no reason why I should worship an all knowing creator.

What, in your opinion, would be worthy of worship?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 4:19:59 PM
At 2/20/2013 3:42:05 PM, natoast wrote:

I see no reason why I should worship an all knowing creator.:

We gather that! Then don't.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 6:45:07 PM
At 2/20/2013 1:36:32 PM, Pennington wrote:

Now who's problem is that? I see it. Billions of others see it. Many more that lived before us have seen it but you haven't. I understand your reluctance to see it.

Fatal for those like YOU -

According even to the catholic preferred Story book (hence for those that claim to believe its content) it is unambiguous that ' billions = large numbers ' ONLY indicates a false belief, leading to utter destruction -

"Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few. (Matt. 7:13-14) RSV Story book catholic 1966 edition.

Your vindicated mentor, 50 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2013 7:17:44 PM
At 2/20/2013 3:26:22 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/20/2013 3:10:25 PM, vbaculum wrote:
And you believe all this? Why?:

Because in my heart and logic it appears to be the truth to me.

Yes it only ' appears ' that way to those like YOU because your story book states your heart is deceitful and corrupt -

Yes! always fatal for those like you according to the Story book -

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; . . . . (Jer. 17:9) RSV catholic Story book 1966 edition

Your alleged ' logic ' (doesn't even imply your logic is accurate & legitimate) is controlled by your mind, and your heart = the mind says the Story book!

The human mind is more deceitful than anything else. It is incurably bad.17 Who can understand it? (Jer. 17:9) NET Story book

Acccordingly therefore to those that claim to believe its content, according to the Story book, mere human propensity outclasses everything else in deceitfulness & corruption; so poor old alleged naughty fallen angel Satan can only take a minor place after deceitful & corrupt hearts/minds like YOURS, LOL!

Your vindicated mentor, 50 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!