Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Bibliotard Top Ten List

DoubtingDave
Posts: 380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 3:40:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In counter of medic, here is the top ten list to tell you are a fundamental Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
The Great Wall of Fail

"I have doubts that anti-semitism even exists" -GeoLaureate8

"Evolutionists think that people evolved from rocks" -Scotty

"And whats so bad about a Holy war? By Holy war, I mean a war which would aim to subdue others under Islam." -Ahmed.M

"The free market didn't create the massive wealth in the country, WW2 did." -malcomxy

"Independant federal regulators make our capitalist society possible." -Erik_Erikson
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 6:31:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 3:40:48 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
In counter of medic, here is the top ten list to tell you are a fundamental Christian

That's fair. I'm impressed. You must have worked hard to get it down to 10 items.

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."


3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

In my line of work we call that a seizure.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 7:58:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM, Polaris wrote:
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.

I saw that in a Pentecostal church that I went to in high school. Scared the devil right outta me.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 8:02:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 7:58:33 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM, Polaris wrote:
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.

I saw that in a Pentecostal church that I went to in high school. Scared the devil right outta me.

I have yet to witness it in person, but I don't imagine I will be any less aghast than you were.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 8:10:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 3:40:48 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

See the "My ways are higher than our ways" thread or the Biblical slavery thread to see the apparent double standard.

Ps. We should refrain from inflammatory topic titles.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 8:13:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I joke about it on occassion but I can't say with any certainty that those people aren't being acted on by the Holy Spirit. I just remember it as being very scary.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 10:01:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 8:13:51 PM, medic0506 wrote:
I joke about it on occassion but I can't say with any certainty that those people aren't being acted on by the Holy Spirit. I just remember it as being very scary.

I also remain uncertain as to whether residents of Mobile, Alabama actually saw a leprechaun in 2012.
Slice_O_Pie
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 10:52:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM, Polaris wrote:
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.

The post was in reference to fundamentalist Christians. And there are a great many of those who do. I used to be one of them...
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 11:08:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 7:58:33 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM, Polaris wrote:
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.

I saw that in a Pentecostal church that I went to in high school. Scared the devil right outta me.

LOL, me too! Except I was in elementary school. No one had bothered to tell me that we would be going to see people spazzing out on the floor.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 11:11:19 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Nice list, by the way.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 11:27:16 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 10:52:12 AM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
At 2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM, Polaris wrote:
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.

The post was in reference to fundamentalist Christians. And there are a great many of those who do. I used to be one of them...

As I said, it isn't something accepted by *most Christians. I'm presuming that "bibliotard" is an inflammatory term for Christians.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Militant atheists are so funny.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that. Perhaps Cantankerous Atheists would be a more accurate description.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Slice_O_Pie
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:38:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 11:27:16 AM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 10:52:12 AM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
At 2/21/2013 7:39:18 PM, Polaris wrote:
Speaking in tongues isn't something accepted by most Christians. As far as I can tell it's a learned form of self-hypnosis or cognitively induced trance.

The post was in reference to fundamentalist Christians. And there are a great many of those who do. I used to be one of them...

As I said, it isn't something accepted by *most Christians. I'm presuming that "bibliotard" is an inflammatory term for Christians.

Would not accepting the Holy Spirit be something that most Christians would admit to? If so, this fits within that realm, albeit in a somewhat exaggerated description.
Slice_O_Pie
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:41:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

If he is out burning flags, destroying property, threatening people with bodily harm, or recklessly breaking the law in stating his atheism, then your description would be correct.

"Confrontational" in that context isn't what you think it is....
Nur-Ab-Sal
Posts: 1,637
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:45:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:41:33 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

If he is out burning flags, destroying property, threatening people with bodily harm, or recklessly breaking the law in stating his atheism, then your description would be correct.

"Confrontational" in that context isn't what you think it is....

Actually, no, the term 'militant atheist' isn't often used in the way you're describing. Those who are described as militant atheists are merely anti-theists who are harshly opposed to religion and speak out against it.

Though I often doubt the credibility of sites like these, I can attest to the truth of this article, as I have always heard the term used in the way the author describes:

http://atheism.about.com...
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:53:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

What violent methods is he advocating?
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 12:56:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:53:36 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

What violent methods is he advocating?

No cheap shots, please.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 1:40:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

Clearly, 'militant' has violent connotations which aren't appropriate when describing someone who is simply outspoken.

When someone uses the phrase 'militant atheist', they are almost always refering to someone who speaks out against religion, and yet has no violent or necessarily confrontational intentions.

Since it's taboo to critizise religion, and since it's rude to call people 'infidels', an new phase needed to be invented: militant atheist.

There is already a word to describe someone who insults things: "insulting".
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:37:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:56:08 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:53:36 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

What violent methods is he advocating?

No cheap shots, please.

I'm expecting him to argue everything before the 'or' while denying the violent connotations.
Magic8000
Posts: 975
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:38:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
ARGUMENT FROM MY FAVORITE SONG ON THE RADIO
(1) I was listening to the radio, and I started thinking about my favorite song.
(2) Then my favorite song started playing on the radio!
(3) God must have heard my thoughts!
(4) Therefore, God exists.

ARGUMENT FROM CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
(1) I like chocolate ice cream.
(2) I opened my freezer, and behold, there was chocolate ice cream in it.
(3) God is so nice with all his little attentions!
(4) Therefore, God exists.

ARGUMENT FROM DESIGN, a.k.a. GOD OF THE GAPS, a.k.a. DESIGN/TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (IV), a.k.a. ARGUMENT FROM PERSONAL INCREDULITY (III)
(1) Isn't X amazing!
(2) I don't understand how X could be, without something else (that I don't really understand either) making or doing X.
(3) This something else must be God because I can't come up with a better explanation.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

RANDMAN"S ARGUMENT
(1) This entry from the 1975 World Book Encyclopedia on evolution contains some errors that I claim to have already substantiated.
(2) Mr. Ph.D.-in-Evolutionary-Biology, this proves that evolution is an unsound scientific concept.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

META-PROOF
(1) This is a proof of God's existence.
(2) If the reader finishes reading this proof, the existence of God will be proven to him/her.
(3) If the existence of God is proven, then God exists.
(4) Therefore, God exists.

ARGUMENT FROM MIRACLES (I)
(1) My aunt had cancer.
(2) The doctors gave her all these horrible treatments.
(3) My aunt prayed to God and now she doesn't have cancer.
(4) Therefore, God exists

KENT HOVIND'S ARGUMENT
(1) I don't want to work for a living.
(2) I don't want to pay taxes.
(3) I can get gullible fundamentalists to send me money.
(4) I can use religious exemption claims to tie the IRS up in court.
(5) The IRS can't send me to prison.
(6) Therefore, God exists

ARGUMENT FROM MULTIPLICITY (I), a.k.a. METACROCK'S ARGUMENT
(1) I have a large number of arguments for God.
(2) One of them is probably true.
(3) Therefore, God exists

Checkmate atheists

http://www.godlessgeeks.com...
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:48:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:41:33 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
If he is out burning flags, destroying property, threatening people with bodily harm, or recklessly breaking the law in stating his atheism, then your description would be correct.

"Confrontational" in that context isn't what you think it is....

Care to enlighten me, O pinnacle of reason?

Seems pretty bloody confrontational to me.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:49:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 12:53:36 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:07:25 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:03:45 PM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/22/2013 11:55:31 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Militant atheists are so funny.

I wouldn't say he's militant. That Implies, that he has a bunker full of grenades and AK-47s or something like that.

Not really.

(adj) 'favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause:'

http://oxforddictionaries.com...

What violent methods is he advocating?

None at the moment.

One question for one question.

What does this have to do with my post?
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Slice_O_Pie
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 2:57:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 2:48:28 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 12:41:33 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
If he is out burning flags, destroying property, threatening people with bodily harm, or recklessly breaking the law in stating his atheism, then your description would be correct.

"Confrontational" in that context isn't what you think it is....

Care to enlighten me, O pinnacle of reason?

Seems pretty bloody confrontational to me.

How do you come to this conclusion? Because he is an atheist? What action did he take to earn the "militant" moniker?
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 3:02:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 2:57:12 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
How do you come to this conclusion? Because he is an atheist? What action did he take to earn the "militant" moniker?

In my personal experience I've found Microsuck to be incredibly rude, but seeing as I've generally had little interaction with him I can hardly use that to support a conclusion.

I don't intend to semantic my way into a victory here, so I won't define 'confrontational', but I think that original list he posted was pretty hostile and argumentative.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
Heineken
Posts: 1,230
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 3:11:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/21/2013 3:40:48 PM, DoubtingDave wrote:
In counter of medic, here is the top ten list to tell you are a fundamental Christian


10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

The Bible acknowledges other minor gods. It calls them dead gods, demons or minor gods.


9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

Actually, evolutionary science also claims to have come from dirt. Dirty water, at the least.


8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
So, by that logic, I could never be a Man, a Husband and a Father the same time.


7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

No. It's pretty damn horrible. That's the point. The result of high treason is horror. Wrath is never "moderate".

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

Google Hypostatic Union.


5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

Got nothing. Nailed it.


4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

I wouldn't call it tolerant. Christ wasn't very tolerant. He was forgiving. Big difference. If he was tolerant, I doubt he would claim to return with a blood stained garment, sword pouring from his mouth, laser-beam eyes...etc.



3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

Pentecostals also drink snake-venom...and if you die, you didn't have strong enough faith. You sorta picked a "near cult" to exemplify as Christian.


2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

Answered prayers is not based on success. It's based on interpretation. Most Christians believe that prayers are not answered to their demand, but to their need.
"You may not get what you want, but you'll get what you need."


1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Thaaat's not true. I think you'll find a lot more atheists picking and choosing scripture out of context, just to demonize Christians, than you'll find Christians misinformed on their own doctrines.

The Church does pretty good job teaching it's doctrines.

Just a little devil's advocate input. :-)
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Slice_O_Pie
Posts: 21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 3:29:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 3:02:36 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 2:57:12 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
How do you come to this conclusion? Because he is an atheist? What action did he take to earn the "militant" moniker?

In my personal experience I've found Microsuck to be incredibly rude, but seeing as I've generally had little interaction with him I can hardly use that to support a conclusion.

I don't intend to semantic my way into a victory here, so I won't define 'confrontational', but I think that original list he posted was pretty hostile and argumentative.

Fair enough. Who is Microsuck? I thought the comment was originally intended for Doubting Dave (which was a retort of the Evolution top-ten thread, which was equally hostile and argumentitive, started by a Christian).

Or am I confused here?? (being new here, that may very well be...)
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Posts: 2,900
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 3:34:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/22/2013 3:29:21 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
At 2/22/2013 3:02:36 PM, AlwaysMoreThanYou wrote:
At 2/22/2013 2:57:12 PM, Slice_O_Pie wrote:
How do you come to this conclusion? Because he is an atheist? What action did he take to earn the "militant" moniker?

In my personal experience I've found Microsuck to be incredibly rude, but seeing as I've generally had little interaction with him I can hardly use that to support a conclusion.

I don't intend to semantic my way into a victory here, so I won't define 'confrontational', but I think that original list he posted was pretty hostile and argumentative.

Fair enough. Who is Microsuck? I thought the comment was originally intended for Doubting Dave (which was a retort of the Evolution top-ten thread, which was equally hostile and argumentitive, started by a Christian).

Militant Fundamentalist.

Or am I confused here?? (being new here, that may very well be...)

The person who at one time went by Microsuck is also DoubtingDave. I first knew him as Microsuck.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13