Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Is religiously motivated conflict avoidable?

DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 7:05:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Do you think for as long as religious followers exist, religious extremists (defined in this context as those who are willing to harm others for the sake of their own religion or deity/deities) will also exist?

Do you think it is possible for multiple religions, and atheism, to exist demographically in the world without religiously motivated conflict arising?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:52:00 AM
At 2/22/2013 7:05:07 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Do you think for as long as religious followers exist, religious extremists (defined in this context as those who are willing to harm others for the sake of their own religion or deity/deities) will also exist?:
I think they have always existed and will always exist.

Do you think it is possible for multiple religions, and atheism, to exist demographically in the world without religiously motivated conflict arising?:
It should but probably will never exist without conflict.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 7:11:40 AM
Do you think it is possible for multiple religions, and atheism, to exist demographically in the world without religiously motivated conflict arising?

Sure. there are lots of examples. Buddhism coexists peacefully with most other religions. Over 90% of Japanese are Buddhists or Shinto or both, yet polls show about 70% to be atheists. Go figure. Multicultural societies like Hawaii have many religions coexisting without strife.

Jihadists are never going to mix, but the modern world will gradually get beyond such extremism. It depends upon cultural isolation to survive.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 8:19:18 AM
Do you think for as long as religious followers exist, religious extremists (defined in this context as those who are willing to harm others for the sake of their own religion or deity/deities) will also exist?

Nope. Religion is so personal that when people don't agree, it is inevitable that there will be conflict.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:42:49 PM

I think there will always be head-butting on political issues but if not for Islamic extremists, who don't represent their entire faith, there wouldn't be a lot of true "conflict", of a religious nature today. It's also noteworthy that alot of today's problems, it could be argued, are caused by a lack of religion.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:55:31 PM
At 2/23/2013 12:42:49 PM, medic0506 wrote:

I think there will always be head-butting on political issues but if not for Islamic extremists, who don't represent their entire faith, there wouldn't be a lot of true "conflict", of a religious nature today. It's also noteworthy that alot of today's problems, it could be argued, are caused by a lack of religion.

Oh yeah, I guess the conflict between Protestants and Catholics in Northern Ireland doesn't exist

Oh wait.......
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:01:43 PM
A young man was walking through Belfast late one night, when someone grabbed him from behind, put a knife to his throat, and said "Are ye Protestant or catholic?". The young man, figuring it would give him the best odds, said "I'm Jewish". The man behind him replied "well ain't I just the luckiest Muslim in all of Ireland!".
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:18:18 PM
I think that any sort of demographic will be exploited by political entities in order to advance their agenda. Just look at Byzantium and Sassanid Persia after the First Council of Ephesus. So even if the religious groups have no doctrinal qualms with one another, somebody will invent one.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:36:52 PM
At 2/23/2013 12:55:31 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh yeah, I guess the conflict between Protestants and Catholics in Northern Ireland doesn't exist

Oh wait.......

Isn't that conflict about which flag is being flown??

World-wide, there were over 125,000 babies killed intentionally yesterday, because of an atheistic belief. That happens every single day of the year. Any statistic you have about religious conflict pales in comparison.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:49:09 PM
At 2/23/2013 1:36:52 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

World-wide, there were over 125,000 babies killed intentionally yesterday, because of an atheistic belief. That happens every single day of the year. Any statistic you have about religious conflict pales in comparison.

I'm not even going to get into your completely idiotic belief that abortion is a tenent of atheism. But, no, it has nothing to do with a flag. It was about whether control of the country is in the hands of Britain or Ireland.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:54:40 PM
At 2/23/2013 1:49:09 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh wait.......

I'm not even going to get into your completely idiotic belief that abortion is a tenent of atheism.

Good

But, no, it has nothing to do with a flag. It was about whether control of the country is in the hands of Britain or Ireland.

That makes it a religious conflict?? So I guess our Revolutionary War was also a religious conflict??
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:08:08 PM
At 2/23/2013 1:54:40 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

I'm not even going to get into your completely idiotic belief that abortion is a tenent of atheism.

Good

But, no, it has nothing to do with a flag. It was about whether control of the country is in the hands of Britain or Ireland.

That makes it a religious conflict?? So I guess our Revolutionary War was also a religious conflict??

If you read it properly, you would see that i used the past tense was. At this point it's simply proties against Cathos. Even if it were still about the English vs Irish, the fact of the matter is that the sides don't care whether you are British or Irish, they care whether you are Protestant or catholic.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:40:35 PM
At 2/23/2013 2:08:08 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

If you read it properly, you would see that i used the past tense was. At this point it's simply proties against Cathos. Even if it were still about the English vs Irish, the fact of the matter is that the sides don't care whether you are British or Irish, they care whether you are Protestant or catholic.

The point is that it's about political issues. Christians fought in Vietnam, but that doesn't make it a religious war.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:43:45 PM
At 2/23/2013 2:40:35 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

The point is that it's about political issues. Christians fought in Vietnam, but that doesn't make it a religious war.

You didn't read what i said, did you?

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:02:32 PM

Oh wait.......

What in the hell?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:10:54 PM
At 2/23/2013 2:43:45 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Yes, I did. The Protestants are on one side of the issue, the Catholics on the other. That's how they identify who's who, I guess. That doesn't make it a religious war.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 3:41:50 PM
At 2/23/2013 3:10:54 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Yes, I did. The Protestants are on one side of the issue, the Catholics on the other. That's how they identify who's who, I guess. That doesn't make it a religious war.

And this is why I try to avoid talking to you.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:28:36 PM
At 2/23/2013 3:02:32 PM, imabench wrote:

Oh wait.......

What in the hell?

Exactly.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:32:57 PM
At 2/23/2013 3:41:50 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Then take my name off your sig and stop responding to anything I post. It's a really easy fix if you try.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:41:21 PM
At 2/23/2013 4:32:57 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Then take my name off your sig and stop responding to anything I post. It's a really easy fix if you try.

Well, the sig is staying. And I try not reply to anything you post. It's just some of it is so stupid.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:50:50 PM
At 2/23/2013 4:41:21 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Well, the sig is staying. And I try not reply to anything you post. It's just some of it is so stupid.

Yeah leave it there because it's real mature to hold a grudge against someone who voices a different opinion than your own, on a debate site.

You're not trying very hard. I can barely post anything on this site without you attacking it.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 4:56:56 PM
At 2/23/2013 4:50:50 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Yeah leave it there because it's real mature to hold a grudge against someone who voices a different opinion than your own, on a debate site.

You're not trying very hard. I can barely post anything on this site without you attacking it.

Not a grudge, I just find stupidity funny. Well, I don't agree with that, but you do post a lot of stupid stuff and I have almost no will power.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:26:01 PM
At 2/23/2013 4:56:56 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 2/23/2013 4:50:50 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh wait.......

Good

Not a grudge, I just find stupidity funny. Well, I don't agree with that, but you do post a lot of stupid stuff and I have almost no will power.

Like I said, any opinion that differs from yours automatically means that person is stupid. So much for showing how intolerant the religious are, huh??
Hvaniratha
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2013 6:54:40 AM
" I swear by the name of the glory of Ohrmazd, the Mazdayasnian religion, and the life of my brother Zarir, that I will not strike you, I will not kill you, and also I will not place you in the position of defending yourself with a shield. "
-- Yatkar-i-Zariran

Zoroastrians have killed in the past in the name of the religion of Ohrmazd. However, one of the great Zoroastrian warrior, Zarir, says that it is better not to kill in the name of Ohrmazd. So Zoroastrians can live peacefully with other religions such as the Abrahamic religions such as Christians, Jews, and Muslims in the East.