Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

God and aliens

Cyrano
Posts: 33
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 9:26:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?:
No. I believe in extra terrestial life.

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?:
I don't see why it should when there are microbes on earth. Obviously a God believing person knows there is something beyond our life.

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?
What if we already have been contacted as you say? A Bible believing person knows that things like aliens exist. There real question is do we consider aliens the same as you.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 9:41:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

Of course not. People actually went up on Mount Olympus, and saw for a fact that there were no gods there. That didn't change anybody's mind.

Dwayne Gish said something like, "There is no fact, real or imagined, which cannot be used as evidence of God's existence."
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 10:02:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

I'm a believer and I'd be shocked if there is no extraterrestrial life out there.

In fact, I'm almost certain that one of my neighbors and several posters on this board are from another planet.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:41:21 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

Of course not. People actually went up on Mount Olympus, and saw for a fact that there were no gods there. That didn't change anybody's mind.

Dwayne Gish said something like, "There is no fact, real or imagined, which cannot be used as evidence of God's existence."

Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God. Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed. I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2013 11:38:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God.:
I believe this also.
Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed.:
I believe crop circles are demonic entities marking their area or earth energy spots. Some are probably fakes. UFO sighting can most certainly make week believers into non-believers. Aliens also suggesting there is no God and that they are here to help us and they could be possibly demons. That could cause many to disbelieve.
I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.:
That's only because they are stuck in physical realities.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 12:56:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 11:38:13 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God.:
I believe this also.
Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed.:
I believe crop circles are demonic entities marking their area or earth energy spots. Some are probably fakes. UFO sighting can most certainly make week believers into non-believers. Aliens also suggesting there is no God and that they are here to help us and they could be possibly demons. That could cause many to disbelieve.
I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.:
That's only because they are stuck in physical realities.

This reminds me of those people who actually believe in ghost stories, that spirits are the cause of cabinets mysteriously opening and closing and lamps inching across the bedroom floor (as if ghosts, if they existed, would have nothing better to do).
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:00:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 11:38:13 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God.:
I believe this also.
Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed.:
I believe crop circles are demonic entities marking their area or earth energy spots. Some are probably fakes. UFO sighting can most certainly make week believers into non-believers. Aliens also suggesting there is no God and that they are here to help us and they could be possibly demons. That could cause many to disbelieve.
I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.:
That's only because they are stuck in physical realities.

How exactly did you come across this belief?
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:22:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 12:56:33 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:38:13 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God.:
I believe this also.
Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed.:
I believe crop circles are demonic entities marking their area or earth energy spots. Some are probably fakes. UFO sighting can most certainly make week believers into non-believers. Aliens also suggesting there is no God and that they are here to help us and they could be possibly demons. That could cause many to disbelieve.
I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.:
That's only because they are stuck in physical realities.

This reminds me of those people who actually believe in ghost stories, that spirits are the cause of cabinets mysteriously opening and closing and lamps inching across the bedroom floor (as if ghosts, if they existed, would have nothing better to do).:

This reminds me of one of those people that never wants to appear like a sucker and then after all his caution he gets suckered.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:27:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 1:00:43 AM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:38:13 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God.:
I believe this also.
Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed.:
I believe crop circles are demonic entities marking their area or earth energy spots. Some are probably fakes. UFO sighting can most certainly make week believers into non-believers. Aliens also suggesting there is no God and that they are here to help us and they could be possibly demons. That could cause many to disbelieve.
I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.:
That's only because they are stuck in physical realities.

How exactly did you come across this belief?

Well Genesis six and throughout the Bible talks of angels throughout of heaven. Makes sense that there be other beings somewhere. I have no clue what crop-circles are for and can believe they are made by people. If they are by demons or aliens then they have meaning for marking that area as theirs or that area has a energetic meaning. I have studied and read alot about aliens and abductions and two major things happen in them. 1) They are sexually abused, 2) The aliens try to tell them they are here to help and that religions are false. More commonly it is Jesus Christ who is denied.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
1Devilsadvocate
Posts: 1,518
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:27:12 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

No. Why would it?
If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

No. Why would it.
What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

What's the connection to the existence of God?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:31:10 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 1:27:10 AM, Pennington wrote:
I have studied and read alot about aliens and abductions and two major things happen in them. 1) They are sexually abused, 2) The aliens try to tell them they are here to help and that religions are false.

Where did you read number 2 at?
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:34:27 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 1:31:10 AM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/28/2013 1:27:10 AM, Pennington wrote:
I have studied and read alot about aliens and abductions and two major things happen in them. 1) They are sexually abused, 2) The aliens try to tell them they are here to help and that religions are false.

Where did you read number 2 at?:

Off the top of my head I cant remember but I will start digging and find some examples for ya.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
DakotaKrafick
Posts: 1,517
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:44:44 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 1:22:25 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/28/2013 12:56:33 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:38:13 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/27/2013 11:04:33 PM, Polaris wrote:
Someone once suggested to me that Aliens are actually demons in disguise to trick man into disbelieving in God.:
I believe this also.
Not sure how crop circles and UFO sightings makes one disbelieve in God, but that is what he believed.:
I believe crop circles are demonic entities marking their area or earth energy spots. Some are probably fakes. UFO sighting can most certainly make week believers into non-believers. Aliens also suggesting there is no God and that they are here to help us and they could be possibly demons. That could cause many to disbelieve.
I've also heard the opposite, that the bible's description of Angels are actually of extra-terrestrials.:
That's only because they are stuck in physical realities.

This reminds me of those people who actually believe in ghost stories, that spirits are the cause of cabinets mysteriously opening and closing and lamps inching across the bedroom floor (as if ghosts, if they existed, would have nothing better to do).:

This reminds me of one of those people that never wants to appear like a sucker and then after all his caution he gets suckered.

Egad, how ever did you see past my facade of shallow intellect? I will never recover from this humiliation!
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:47:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 1:31:10 AM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/28/2013 1:27:10 AM, Pennington wrote:
I have studied and read alot about aliens and abductions and two major things happen in them. 1) They are sexually abused, 2) The aliens try to tell them they are here to help and that religions are false.

Where did you read number 2 at?

Here: Watch'em:

http://www.conspiracyarchive.com...
http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...
http://cassiopaea.org...
http://www.ufodigest.com...
http://www.bing.com...=
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Polaris
Posts: 1,120
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 2:49:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 1:47:08 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 2/28/2013 1:31:10 AM, Polaris wrote:
At 2/28/2013 1:27:10 AM, Pennington wrote:
I have studied and read alot about aliens and abductions and two major things happen in them. 1) They are sexually abused, 2) The aliens try to tell them they are here to help and that religions are false.

Where did you read number 2 at?

Here: Watch'em:


http://www.conspiracyarchive.com...
http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...
http://cassiopaea.org...
http://www.ufodigest.com...
http://www.bing.com...=

Ahh...I figured as much...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 4:41:50 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

I have to admit that I think discovering alien life would probably shake up my beliefs quite a lot. The Bible speaks of life on earth, and it talks about human life (made in His image) as if we are alone in the universe. God made earth and put man there. I would think if He put life on other planets that would be something that He would have let us know about through divine inspiration. If we come into contact with alien life, then I believe that God would have known that would eventually happen, due to His omniscience, thus would have warned us about other life forms.

As for finding microbial life, that wouldn't bother me because I don't see microbial life as being "alive" in any important sense, nor does the Bible say that it is actual life. In fact, finding microbes on other planets may explain why they're here on earth. Perhaps that would eventually even lead us to stop speculating that man evolved from microbial life. If evolution is true then we should find other evolved creatures where we find microbial life, assuming sufficient time for evolution to occur.
natoast
Posts: 204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 3:29:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 4:41:50 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

I have to admit that I think discovering alien life would probably shake up my beliefs quite a lot. The Bible speaks of life on earth, and it talks about human life (made in His image) as if we are alone in the universe. God made earth and put man there. I would think if He put life on other planets that would be something that He would have let us know about through divine inspiration. If we come into contact with alien life, then I believe that God would have known that would eventually happen, due to His omniscience, thus would have warned us about other life forms.

As for finding microbial life, that wouldn't bother me because I don't see microbial life as being "alive" in any important sense, nor does the Bible say that it is actual life. In fact, finding microbes on other planets may explain why they're here on earth. Perhaps that would eventually even lead us to stop speculating that man evolved from microbial life. If evolution is true then we should find other evolved creatures where we find microbial life, assuming sufficient time for evolution to occur.

Wait a minute, you don't consider microbes to be properly alive because the bible doesn't mention them?
SarcasticIndeed
Posts: 2,215
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:01:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 10:02:12 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

I'm a believer and I'd be shocked if there is no extraterrestrial life out there.

In fact, I'm almost certain that one of my neighbors and several posters on this board are from another planet.

Can't tell if sarcastic or serious.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:35:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Most Christians don't think about UFOs.

Except for catching the occasional episode of X-Files or maybe watching the latest Independence Day wannabe, the topic of extraterrestrial life simply never comes up. If a Christian ever does think about alien intelligence, he usually believes it's all a bunch of hooey, nothing more than a product of the lunatic fringe. "Addicts take their drugs and, poof, they see flying saucers"right next to flying skillets, flying Volkswagens, and flying walruses."

This is what I thought, too, before I started this study.

I have to admit to a certain fascination with the subject. I've always loved science fiction, so the idea of extraterrestrial civilizations has been with me for decades. I watched every quasi-documentary on the subject I could. I became acquainted with subjects like alien abductions, cattle mutilations, crop circles, crashed or captured alien vessels, government studies, alien autopsies, the supposed hybridization program, and men in black.

The video footage in some of these documentaries was astonishing. Even allowing for a high percentage of forgeries, there were some amazing examples that could not be explained. After watching a particularly convincing UFO special on The Learning Channel, I decided it was time to take a serious look at the subject.

You have to understand something about me: I'm a researcher. I love learning. I'm also a seminary graduate. I hold the Master of Divinity degree from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. So when I decide to research a subject like this, I plunge into it with both flippers"all with the purpose of integrating it into the Christian worldview.

Before I read a single UFO book, I wanted to settle some things in my mind. What would happen if there came undeniable, absolutely certain evidence of extraterrestrial life? Would my faith be able to handle it, or was my Christianity too brittle to accept it? In other words, would I be obliged, by my own inability to face this new data, into denying it completely? Would I be in the same group as those who say the earth is flat?

I asked myself if I believed God could create intelligent life on other planets if He wanted to. I asked myself what it would mean to my faith, if anything, if that were the case. I asked myself whether other intelligent species, if there were any, would have to come to faith in Jesus Christ or if God would have supplied them another way.

I asked myself whether the pillar of cloud and the pillar fire in the Bible were really UFOs, whether Elijah's chariot of fire were really a flying saucer, and if Paul's trip into the third heaven were really an abduction experience.

I asked the hardest questions, too. What if God were merely a superintelligent alien? What if we are just his simulation on some cosmic supercomputer? What if mankind is not the unique creature, the pinnacle of God's creation, that the Bible teaches we are?

I came to some faith conclusions, the chief of which was that I decided outright that I was going to come out on the other side of this study with the same God I came into it with. I wasn't interested in dropping Jesus or making Him into a spaceman. I knew that my God was the holder of the universe, so anything that made its way across that universe would have to be under the umbrella of His sovereignty. With that settled, I opened the UFO literature.

For the record, I do believe God could create intelligent life on other planets, but I don't believe He's done so. If there were any intelligent extraterrestrial species, it wouldn't impact Christianity's validity in the slightest. Our belief system would not come crashing down like a house of cards. Our mission field would expand, but Christianity itself would never be replaced as the answer.

I believe all alien species, should there be any, would have to come to Jesus Christ to be saved. It's just an extension of what we already believe: that an obscure carpenter from a poor family in an insignificant region of a backwater outpost of the Roman empire holds the key to eternal life. How much more difficult is it to extend that to say that the One who holds the key to eternity is from a no-name planet circling a forgotten star on the edge of an unimportant galaxy?

I don't believe the Bible depicts UFOs in any way, shape, or form. There is no reason to believe the angels and miracles in Scripture are anything but what they claim to be: supernatural agents and works of God. As this paper will argue, I do think UFOs have something to do with angels, but not the angels that inhabit heaven.

I don't believe God is just a super-alien who created us on his PC for a school project. God is eternal, holy, and unchanging. I believe in the God of the Bible, the God who made man His crowning creation.

All right, enough introduction. I'll sum up my position in one sentence: I believe the UFO phenomenon is 100% demonic. I believe it is a real phenomenon, not just the ravings of crack addicts and lonesome country hicks. I believe UFOs are real, aliens are real, abductions and animal mutilations are real, and that governments (especially the American government) maintain relations with these beings. But I believe the whole thing is demonic.

The "aliens" message can be convincing, though. As I studied it, I felt its pull. Even with my MDiv and all my years of living the Christian life, I could still feel the tug of doubt, like someone pulling hairs on my arm. What if? The scary thing is that if it could be that troubling to me, how would it sound to someone with little or no Christian mooring? Indeed, I believe this is the Great Deception that is going to come upon man. It will be so compelling, so reasonable, so consistent with modern sensibilities, that people will ascribe to it by the billions. Even the very Elect will be deceived, if it were possible.

So I offer this document in defiance of that deception. My aim is to inform those Christians who desire to integrate the UFO phenomenon into the Christian worldview of what I've discovered in my investigation. If I'm wrong, no biggie. If I'm right, you will have been given the truth in time, God willing, for it to make a difference.

It is worth noting at the outset that many Christian leaders and groups consider aliens to be demonic: Hank Hanegraaff (Christian Research Institute's "Bible Answer Man"), cult watchdogs Watchman Fellowship, and authors Chuck Missler, Dale Sumbreru, William R. Goetz, and Dr. Mark Eastman among them.

I also find it interesting that several non-Christian sources have concluded that UFOs are demonic. A former Chief of British Defense Staff, Admiral of the Fleet Lord Hill-Norton, says some UFO encounters are "definitely antithetical to orthodox Christian belief." Gordon Creighton, a Buddhist and editor of Flying Saucer Review, has said, "I do believe that the great bulk of these phenomena are what is called satanic."

Such explanations are uniformly denounced by the greater UFO community as too nice and easy. The article in which Hill-Norton and Creighton are quoted (which can be found in the News Archives section of the web site, www.mufon.com) received a firestorm of opposition from secular readers. The primary criticism of the aliens-are-demons theory is that it is, to some, too nice and neat. The very essence of UFOs, they say, is that they are unexplained"by which they mean unexplainable. But what if an explanation could be found? Should it be rejected a priori?

I myself set out on this study intending to disprove "the demon theory" as nai"ve. I remember sending e-mail to a former professor, informing him I was embarking on this investigation. I told him I wanted to study it seriously and not accept the simple answer I had heard: that aliens were nothing but demons in disguise. The things we say...
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:36:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Continued...

I read dozens of secular books on UFOs. I read Christian books on the subject. I watched programs and read articles. I scoured the Internet. I exchanged ideas with UFO researchers around the world. As I studied, I found certain arguments ringing true, making more sense than others, explaining more of the phenomena. That is the purpose of investigation, is it not?

After I had surveyed the evidence and heard the arguments, I had to reconsider my views. I could no longer assert that "the demon theory" was irrational. After all, wouldn't it be just as closed-minded to reject the demon theory out of hand as it would be to accept it without investigation? And what if, for once, the most obvious answer"nice and neat though it be"were actually the truth? It is my hope that after you read the arguments below, you will be willing to reconsider your views, too.

Note: In this document I sometimes express amusement over the claims of these "aliens" or their disciples. Sometimes I say I "like" or "love" this or that. It doesn't mean that I truly approve of these ridiculous assertions, but simply that I am entertained by their bald-faced audacity. I think God laughs at them, too.

http://www.jeffersonscott.com...

This is a lot to read, but it's pretty interesting. Check out his other arguments oon the link above.

Yes, i copy and pasted this entire thing.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 7:03:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

No, God in the most general sense is unfalsifiable, that is too say, there is no evidence or possible evidence that can contradict its alleged existence.

If the earth is flat.......well thats just how God created it

If the earth is not flat......well thats just how God created it

If aliens don't exist....God just created life on earth, and no where else.

If aliens do exist.....God created life on earth and other places too.

You can make God fit any and all evidence.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 7:08:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If one of those aliens met the description for any god thus far described by man, then yes, that probably would alter my (dis)belief in him/her/it.
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 7:20:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/1/2013 7:03:26 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

No, God in the most general sense is unfalsifiable, that is too say, there is no evidence or possible evidence that can contradict its alleged existence.

If the earth is flat.......well thats just how God created it

If the earth is not flat......well thats just how God created it

If aliens don't exist....God just created life on earth, and no where else.

If aliens do exist.....God created life on earth and other places too.

You can make God fit any and all evidence.

Exactly.

So you should start looking for some evidence that God isn't compatible with. So far, doesn't look possible. ;-] good luck.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 7:28:54 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/1/2013 7:20:41 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 3/1/2013 7:03:26 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

No, God in the most general sense is unfalsifiable, that is too say, there is no evidence or possible evidence that can contradict its alleged existence.

If the earth is flat.......well thats just how God created it

If the earth is not flat......well thats just how God created it

If aliens don't exist....God just created life on earth, and no where else.

If aliens do exist.....God created life on earth and other places too.

You can make God fit any and all evidence.

Exactly.

So you should start looking for some evidence that God isn't compatible with. So far, doesn't look possible. ;-] good luck.

I just said at the start that God in the most general sense can be made to fit with ANYTHING.

Say Have you heard the one about our alien overlords ? or that we live in the maxtrix ?

I think YOU should start looking for some evidence that alien overlords of living in the maxtrix isn't compatible with. So far doesn't look possible. ;'} good luck.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Paradox_7
Posts: 1,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 7:50:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/1/2013 7:28:54 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 3/1/2013 7:20:41 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 3/1/2013 7:03:26 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

No, God in the most general sense is unfalsifiable, that is too say, there is no evidence or possible evidence that can contradict its alleged existence.

If the earth is flat.......well thats just how God created it

If the earth is not flat......well thats just how God created it

If aliens don't exist....God just created life on earth, and no where else.

If aliens do exist.....God created life on earth and other places too.

You can make God fit any and all evidence.

Exactly.

So you should start looking for some evidence that God isn't compatible with. So far, doesn't look possible. ;-] good luck.

I just said at the start that God in the most general sense can be made to fit with ANYTHING.

Say Have you heard the one about our alien overlords ? or that we live in the maxtrix ?

I think YOU should start looking for some evidence that alien overlords of living in the maxtrix isn't compatible with. So far doesn't look possible. ;'} good luck.


Lol, touche'
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 8:51:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 6:01:42 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 2/27/2013 10:02:12 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

I'm a believer and I'd be shocked if there is no extraterrestrial life out there.

In fact, I'm almost certain that one of my neighbors and several posters on this board are from another planet.

Can't tell if sarcastic or serious.

First sentence was serious...and if you think the second sentence was serious then I'm adding you to the list.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 9:24:15 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 2/28/2013 3:29:28 PM, natoast wrote:
At 2/28/2013 4:41:50 AM, medic0506 wrote:
At 2/27/2013 9:11:57 PM, Cyrano wrote:
Is faith in a personal God incompatible with the existence of extra-terrestrial life?

If microbes were found on a planet in our solar system, would this in any way shake your belief in God?

What if we found no microbes in our solar system but we were contacted by advanced aliens from a different galaxy?

I have to admit that I think discovering alien life would probably shake up my beliefs quite a lot. The Bible speaks of life on earth, and it talks about human life (made in His image) as if we are alone in the universe. God made earth and put man there. I would think if He put life on other planets that would be something that He would have let us know about through divine inspiration. If we come into contact with alien life, then I believe that God would have known that would eventually happen, due to His omniscience, thus would have warned us about other life forms.

As for finding microbial life, that wouldn't bother me because I don't see microbial life as being "alive" in any important sense, nor does the Bible say that it is actual life. In fact, finding microbes on other planets may explain why they're here on earth. Perhaps that would eventually even lead us to stop speculating that man evolved from microbial life. If evolution is true then we should find other evolved creatures where we find microbial life, assuming sufficient time for evolution to occur.

Wait a minute, you don't consider microbes to be properly alive because the bible doesn't mention them?

I don't see how we can say that they are "alive" in any important sense. I understand their scientific significance and why they are deemed a life form, but philosophically I see no reason to consider them to actually be "alive", same with plants.