Jump to topic:

Paganism

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 5:26:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Paganism is apparently gaining more traction as Christianity becomes increasingly secularized. Would members of the Abrahamic faiths feel justified in killing modern pagans as they did in the past?
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 5:33:56 AM
At 2/28/2013 5:26:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Paganism is apparently gaining more traction as Christianity becomes increasingly secularized. Would members of the Abrahamic faiths feel justified in killing modern pagans as they did in the past?

There is nothing Christian about killing anyone. God gave man free will to choose, why would man then deem it appropriate to take away that God-given right??
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 5:35:41 AM
At 2/28/2013 5:33:56 AM, medic0506 wrote:

There is nothing Christian about killing anyone. God gave man free will to choose, why would man then deem it appropriate to take away that God-given right??

Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 5:42:03 AM
At 2/28/2013 5:36:40 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Would you kill Wiccans, Medic?

I dated one once and I wanted to off her because I was afraid she was going to cast a spell on me for breaking up with her. I let her live and she did cast a middle-age spread spell on me. She's a witch in more ways than one. Ultimately no, I wouldn't kill anyone. Is that really a serious question??
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 5:44:27 AM
At 2/28/2013 5:42:03 AM, medic0506 wrote:

I dated one once and I wanted to off her because I was afraid she was going to cast a spell on me for breaking up with her. I let her live and she did cast a middle-age spread spell on me. She's a witch in more ways than one. Ultimately no, I wouldn't kill anyone. Is that really a serious question??

Yes, it's a serious question. How do you resolve the Bible's command to kill witches with your disgust of murder?

LOL, what's a middle age spread spell?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 5:47:33 AM
I know that Muslims often justify a passage that discusses violence by claiming it permits them to kill pagans and not Christians. I would be interested to see if they think killing modern pagans is justified.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:02:11 AM

No, I myself refer to the story of Abraham and his son Isaac's sacrifice. Basically what I recall, and with my own personal spin on it, it goes like this:

God- "So pretty much what I'm trying to say here Abraham, is that you should use your judgement in deciding what is right and what is wrong. Blindly following my word is not what I put you here to do. Oh and on a side note, human sacrifice isnt cool dude. Thou shalt not kill mean anything to you?"

Abraham- "So you... dont want me to listen to you?"

God- "No no, listen to me, but use your own judgement, saavy?"

Abraham- "oh i think I get it. So if I think its something you would want me to do-"

God- "just, just stop there. You're still getting it wrong. Use YOUR own judgement. Consider my words like friendly advice."

Abraham- "ok, i think I get it."

*convo ends*

*later*

God- "Abraham i want you to sacrifice your son Isaac."

Abraham- "Of course Lord, whatever you command I shall do."

*sacrifices son*

God- "WTF dude, did that whole conversation we had earlier just pass right over your head? Like really?"

Abraham- "but you said I shoul-"

God- "omg fvck this" *facepalm*

Ya kno me and Airmax were just talkin about this the other day... funny conversation. Anyways, to actually address the OP question more than just

http://i2.kym-cdn.com...

I wouldnt kill a pagan. Even if the bible says to, because I woud feel that I was doing something wrong. And if God, as I believe, put us here with free will, he would expect us to be able to make decisions like that for ourselves. To decide what is right and wrong for ourselves, what feels right in our hearts. May sound idealistic, but its what I think, and if you dont like it:

http://youtu.be...
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:03:22 AM
At 2/28/2013 5:44:27 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Yes, it's a serious question. How do you resolve the Bible's command to kill witches with your disgust of murder?

The "middle-aged spread" is the term used to define the weight gain people experience upon hitting middle age.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:05:16 AM
At 2/28/2013 6:02:11 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

No, I myself refer to the story of Abraham and his son Isaac's sacrifice. Basically what I recall, and with my own personal spin on it, it goes like this:

God- "So pretty much what I'm trying to say here Abraham, is that you should use your judgement in deciding what is right and what is wrong. Blindly following my word is not what I put you here to do. Oh and on a side note, human sacrifice isnt cool dude. Thou shalt not kill mean anything to you?"

Abraham- "So you... dont want me to listen to you?"

God- "No no, listen to me, but use your own judgement, saavy?"

Abraham- "oh i think I get it. So if I think its something you would want me to do-"

God- "just, just stop there. You're still getting it wrong. Use YOUR own judgement. Consider my words like friendly advice."

Abraham- "ok, i think I get it."

*convo ends*

*later*

God- "Abraham i want you to sacrifice your son Isaac."

Abraham- "Of course Lord, whatever you command I shall do."

*sacrifices son*

God- "WTF dude, did that whole conversation we had earlier just pass right over your head? Like really?"

Abraham- "but you said I shoul-"

God- "omg fvck this" *facepalm*

Ya kno me and Airmax were just talkin about this the other day... funny conversation. Anyways, to actually address the OP question more than just

http://i2.kym-cdn.com...

I wouldnt kill a pagan. Even if the bible says to, because I woud feel that I was doing something wrong. And if God, as I believe, put us here with free will, he would expect us to be able to make decisions like that for ourselves. To decide what is right and wrong for ourselves, what feels right in our hearts. May sound idealistic, but its what I think, and if you dont like it:

http://youtu.be...

This makes sense. :) Thanks!
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:06:51 AM
At 2/28/2013 6:03:22 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

The "middle-aged spread" is the term used to define the weight gain people experience upon hitting middle age.

LOL, so you're blaming her because you gained weight? Maybe you should have eaten less and exercised more. I doubt she cast a spell on you to make you gain weight. One of the tenets of Wiccanism is the three-fold rule, meaning that anything you do to other people with magic returns to you three-fold. Unless she wanted to be obese, she wouldn't have cast the spell.
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 7:17:32 AM

Definitely, but I still need to work my way through the pseudo-Christian heretics, the Mohammedans, and the accursed Jews, so for now they'll have to wait their turn.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 8:39:11 AM
I live with a Pagan, and you know what I have observed?

Spells and prayers are EXACTLY the same thing...they both even light candles when they do it.

Nearly everything about Paganism and Christianity is the same. The only difference, Christianity was co-opted and made to be completely patriarchal, and paganism is a balance of patriarch and matriarch.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 9:29:34 AM

10 commandments and the golden rule. I don't believe in a God that will condemn me for obeying those rules, while questioning whether I'm interpreting His command to kill witches, in the correct way. I believe in a God who will give me credit for choosing to err on the side of letting Him be the ultimate judge.

What if I killed someone that I thought was a witch, and later learned that it was actually a problem that happened when the document was translated?? What if it really meant to say "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live in your village", or something similar to that?? Then I've killed a human being because of a mistranslation. The God that I believe in will reward me for that good discretion, and erring on the side of caution.

Remember, the Bible tells us to question everything. Everything would include our own interpretation of the Bible.

It's what causes so many middle aged men to get that spare tire above their waste. It wouldn't have happened to me if not for her spell. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...lol
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 9:33:27 AM
At 2/28/2013 6:06:51 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/28/2013 6:03:22 AM, Buddamoose wrote:

LOL, so you're blaming her because you gained weight? Maybe you should have eaten less and exercised more. I doubt she cast a spell on you to make you gain weight. One of the tenets of Wiccanism is the three-fold rule, meaning that anything you do to other people with magic returns to you three-fold. Unless she wanted to be obese, she wouldn't have cast the spell.

She was heavy when we were dating so she had nothing to lose. I'm telling you, it's all her fault...lol
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 9:39:06 AM
At 2/28/2013 9:29:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

10 commandments and the golden rule.

LOL :)

Isn't that the story where moses went into the mountains and then when he got back with the stones the people were roundabout some golden calf? o.O

like, you know... Pagans?

If that's your favorite story in the book... then shouldn't you lay into the Pagans like your god ordered Moses to?..

One would think that such a thing COULDN'T be in conflict with the ten commandments, for God said Both things in the very same story, thou shalt not kill.. but Murder all those damnable pagans!

When Moses went up onto Biblical Mount Sinai to receive the Ten Commandments (Exodus 19:20), he left the Israelites for forty days and forty nights. The Israelites feared that he would not return and asked Aaron to make them a god (Exodus 32:1). Aaron gathered up the Israelites' golden earrings, constructed a "molten calf" and declared "This is thy god, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt." Aaron built an altar before the calf and proclaimed the next day to be a feast to the LORD. So they rose up early the next day and "offered burnt-offerings, and brought peace-offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to make merry."
God tells Moses what the Israelites are up to back in camp, that they had turned aside quickly out of the way which God commanded them and he was going to destroy them and start a new people from Moses. Moses argued and pleaded that they should be spared (Exodus 32:11-14), and God "repented of the evil which He said He would do unto His people."
Moses went down from the mountain, but upon seeing the calf, he became angry and threw down the two Tablets of Stone, breaking them. Moses burnt the golden calf in a fire, ground it to powder, scattered it on water, and forced the Israelites to drink it. Aaron admitted collecting the gold, and throwing it into the fire along with cutting wood, and said it came out as a calf.
Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said: 'Whoso is on the LORD'S side, let him come unto me.' And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him. And he said unto them: 'Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel: Put ye every man his sword upon his thigh, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.' And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses; and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 9:41:37 AM
At 2/28/2013 9:39:06 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
God tells Moses what the Israelites are up to back in camp, that they had turned aside quickly out of the way which God commanded them and he was going to destroy them and start a new people from Moses. Moses argued and pleaded that they should be spared (Exodus 32:11-14), and God "repented of the evil which He said He would do unto His people."

It is interesting though how god's evil though isn't it 8)

I've always liked this story.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:08:22 AM
At 2/28/2013 9:39:06 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/28/2013 9:29:34 AM, medic0506 wrote:

10 commandments and the golden rule.

LOL :)

Isn't that the story where moses went into the mountains and then when he got back with the stones the people were roundabout some golden calf? o.O

like, you know... Pagans?

If that's your favorite story in the book... then shouldn't you lay into the Pagans like your god ordered Moses to?..

One would think that such a thing COULDN'T be in conflict with the ten commandments, for God said Both things in the very same story, thou shalt not kill.. but Murder all those damnable pagans!

I bet there are pagans reading this who thank God that you're an atheist, rather than a Christian. Y'all would be a dangerous lot, the way some of you interpret the Bible...lol

When Moses went up onto Biblical Mount Sinai to receive the Ten Commandments (Exodus 19:20), he left the Israelites for forty days and forty nights. The Israelites feared that he would not return and asked Aaron to make them a god (Exodus 32:1). Aaron gathered up the Israelites' golden earrings, constructed a "molten calf" and declared "This is thy god, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt." Aaron built an altar before the calf and proclaimed the next day to be a feast to the LORD. So they rose up early the next day and "offered burnt-offerings, and brought peace-offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to make merry."
Moses went down from the mountain, but upon seeing the calf, he became angry and threw down the two Tablets of Stone, breaking them. Moses burnt the golden calf in a fire, ground it to powder, scattered it on water, and forced the Israelites to drink it. Aaron admitted collecting the gold, and throwing it into the fire along with cutting wood, and said it came out as a calf.
Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said: 'Whoso is on the LORD'S side, let him come unto me.' And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him. And he said unto them: 'Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel: Put ye every man his sword upon his thigh, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.' And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses; and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.

You can take whatever you want from that story, but personally I don't see anything that says, "Medic, you are to kill pagans and witches". All I see is a commandment for me not to commit murder.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:34:04 AM
At 2/28/2013 10:08:22 AM, medic0506 wrote:
I bet there are pagans reading this who thank God that you're an atheist, rather than a Christian. Y'all would be a dangerous lot, the way some of you interpret the Bible...lol

Dangerous like Moses:
Or dangerous like a childish god who has an evil disposition?:

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:45:09 AM
You can take whatever you want from that story, but personally I don't see anything that says, "Medic, you are to kill pagans and witches". All I see is a commandment for me not to commit murder.

If anything:

One would think the context the tablets are put into here suggest that they Might've been good rules.. but when you deal with calf-worshipping, pagan, suns-o-bitches the tablets go out the window..

First God suggests he wipes out the israelites completely, not minding killing those who didn't take part.. Guilt by association.. then Moses convinces god to go a different route, only killing those who really meant it when they worshipped the calf.

Clearly God and moses don't care about that commandment when it comes to dealing with Pagans.. moses even breaks the tablets you're saying god drew up... probably realizing, again, that God was mistaken again :)

There are many lessons to be drawn from this story..
1. God's not all knowing (moses changed his mind)
2. God has an evil disposition
3. God and Moses encourage the murder of Pagans.
4. Moses no longer felt that the 10 commandments were important enough to belong to the "Don't smash that" category.

Metaphysics:
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:45:44 AM
At 2/28/2013 10:34:04 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Dangerous like Moses:
Or dangerous like a childish god who has an evil disposition?:

You chose to comment on the part that I was joking with you about, and ignored the rest. Where, in any of that, do you read anything about us killing pagans in the year 2013??
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:47:18 AM
At 2/28/2013 10:45:09 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
calf-worshipping, pagan, suns-o-bitches

hehe :)

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:52:02 AM
At 2/28/2013 10:45:44 AM, medic0506 wrote:
the year 2013??

Ah, yeah.. I forgot..

That always-wrong God reconsidered his Evil ways again and ended up spitting outa different morality the New-Testament.. where the Dead walk, The dead Fly, and children get torn asunder by God-inspired she-bears.

My bad.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 10:57:36 AM
You chose to comment on the part that I was joking with you about, and ignored the rest. Where, in any of that, do you read anything about us killing pagans in the year 2013??

To be fair though.. You must admit YOU were the one who brought up the Ten-commandment story..

I just mentioned how that one Too wraps up in the God-sanctioned murder of thousands of innocent pagans... Suggesting that you can't be serious in suggesting that the commandments from this story should be interpreted as banning such killings. For, before Moses went to bring those very tablets back to the Israelites God & Moses were drawing up just how they should go about such murders.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 11:15:50 AM
At 2/28/2013 10:52:02 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
the year 2013??

Ah, yeah.. I forgot..

That always-wrong God reconsidered his Evil ways again and ended up spitting outa different morality the New-Testament.. where the Dead walk, The dead Fly, and children get torn asunder by God-inspired she-bears.

My bad.

Actually, the she-bear thing might be OT.. sorry :/

Metaphysics:
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:10:56 PM
Whats' the deal with paganism anyways? Like what do they believe specifically? I figure this might serve me better than a cursory look at the Wikipedia page but I'll try both and see what I get.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:35:15 PM
At 2/28/2013 1:10:56 PM, Noumena wrote:
Whats' the deal with paganism anyways? Like what do they believe specifically? I figure this might serve me better than a cursory look at the Wikipedia page but I'll try both and see what I get.

A lot of different kinds of Pagans, but they believe in nature.

The difference between Paganism and science is simply mysticism.

Does Aloe Vera sooth burns and promote their healing? When you have a burn, do you really care why?

Thy also have a strong tie to the feminine. Pagans are women, or worshipers of women, and even in the Christian Church, nuns were the keepers of historical record (with Pagans, that is the mystical knowledge of life and the universe).

Christians are dude, or people that worship c0ck.

To put it another way, Pagans are the '67 Camaro to Christian's '72 Mustang Mach 2 (it'll make sense to car guys).
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 1:48:19 PM
At 2/28/2013 5:37:32 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
The point of this thread is just to see what people think, and not to criticize.

Really?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2013 6:06:32 PM

I dated one once and I wanted to off her because I was afraid she was going to cast a spell on me for breaking up with her.

You believe(d) in the power of pagan magick...?