Jump to topic:

No law, no sin.

Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:49:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Rom.4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. So when bible believers say the law has been done away, then what is sin, defined by the bible? Rom.5:13, 7:7,12-14,22, 3:20,31
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 10:02:06 AM
At 3/1/2013 9:49:30 AM, Suqua wrote:
Rom.4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. So when bible believers say the law has been done away, then what is sin, defined by the bible? Rom.5:13, 7:7,12-14,22, 3:20,31

There is still a moral law that exists independently of the Mosaic law. As James 4:17 says, anybody who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it sins.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Angry_Bird
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 4:07:46 AM

Law was not made for the righteous, so Jesus was righteous, therefore all who are baptized in his name have his righteousness, meaning they are perfected forever
And whilst their position doesn't change their experience does,
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 4:21:38 AM

The law wasn't done away with.

Matthew 5:17

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

(I have no idea why fulfill is spelled that way...)

That's Jesus speaking...famous sermon on the mount speech (the only time in the gospel where Jesus really does what I would consider "preaching")

The laws are still in place, and when the bible refers to "laws", it generally refers to the Law of Moses which is contained in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

What the verse you pulled out is saying is that if something isn't covered in God's Law, then it's open season on whatever that thing is.

Unfortunately for Christians, there are enough catch all type laws that they won't be able to get much "free sin" out of this little biblical disclaimer.

Too bad. Sin is the fun stuff in life, usually.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...