Jump to topic:

Passover

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 7:57:26 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does anyone here celebrate Passover or have they ever been to a Passover Seder? I got invited to one, and I'm a little nervous considering I have never celebrated a Jewish holiday before. Obviously I know the story of Passover, and the Wiki page was pretty helpful regarding the traditions. I'm just uneasy (apparently everybody has to read a religious passage, which makes me a little uncomfortable...) and I know different sects celebrate differently. I still feel like I have no idea what to expect despite looking up some stuff online, especially because I'm not sure how religious this family is. Apparently their temple is conservative but they consider themselves more liberal and "reformed" which confuses me. The grandfather of the family is conservative, so I'm not sure if they will be celebrating accordingly. I should ask more about it... hmm.

This dinner is kind of important to me lol so if anyone has any advice, tips or a more detailed explanation of what will likely go down from a first-hand perspective, let a girl know. I have to say that what I've been reading online is pretty intimidating. It seems like there are so many rules - I'm not positive which ones we are expected to follow (I suppose I should ask, duh). I just feel a little ignorant doing so.
President of DDO
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 12:35:18 PM
At 3/4/2013 7:57:26 AM, Danielle wrote:
Does anyone here celebrate Passover or have they ever been to a Passover Seder? I got invited to one, and I'm a little nervous considering I have never celebrated a Jewish holiday before. Obviously I know the story of Passover, and the Wiki page was pretty helpful regarding the traditions. I'm just uneasy (apparently everybody has to read a religious passage, which makes me a little uncomfortable...) and I know different sects celebrate differently. I still feel like I have no idea what to expect despite looking up some stuff online, especially because I'm not sure how religious this family is. Apparently their temple is conservative but they consider themselves more liberal and "reformed" which confuses me. The grandfather of the family is conservative, so I'm not sure if they will be celebrating accordingly. I should ask more about it... hmm.

This dinner is kind of important to me lol so if anyone has any advice, tips or a more detailed explanation of what will likely go down from a first-hand perspective, let a girl know. I have to say that what I've been reading online is pretty intimidating. It seems like there are so many rules - I'm not positive which ones we are expected to follow (I suppose I should ask, duh). I just feel a little ignorant doing so.:

I'm assuming that whoever invited you knows your not Jewish or tradition practicing? If so, then I would follow the lead of others and catch on. I would assume that its is more important for them who know to be more serious on themselves than someone who doesn't practice such. Just be respectful and curtious of their belief and everything should be fine on that front.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 1:31:19 PM

This dinner is kind of important to me lol so if anyone has any advice, tips or a more detailed explanation of what will likely go down from a first-hand perspective, let a girl know. I have to say that what I've been reading online is pretty intimidating. It seems like there are so many rules - I'm not positive which ones we are expected to follow (I suppose I should ask, duh). I just feel a little ignorant doing so.

I've been at a few different Seders (sedarim).
It's nice, some are better than others, but it's nice.
I never did this, (grew up with it), but if I were you, I'd find some Youtube passover seder video's. Jackie mason has 1, you could watch a few different ones to get a better feel.
There is nothing wrong with asking which rules to follow, since different people do the Seder in somewhat different ways. There is a book called the haggadah, which is the "script" of the Seder, ask them which one they use. There are dozens (maybe even hundreds) of different haggadahs with various commentaries,compilations, anthologies, elucidations, etc.. So if you want to prepare, it's not so hard.
There are probably Haggadahs made for 1st timers, wouldn't be surprised if there is a "hagadah/passover for dummies" or something like that.

I personally recommend the "Passover Survival Kit" http://www.amazon.com...
(You may want to get more than 1 haggadah though).

Any questions feel free to ask.
Good luck.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:23:25 PM

Danielle KNOW THIS!
All Passover meals involve wine, they drink Four (4) Cups of wine, the Passover is not ended until a HYMN is sung and then the last, the Fourth (4) Cup is drank! LOOK...

Matthew 26:30
When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

Danielle The Passover Sacrificial Meal is NOT ended, the Forth Cup is not drank! YES; they sing the hymn but still the fourth CUP is not drank!!

At the garden...
Matthew 26:39
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

Jesus has yet to DRINK the Cup to finish the Passover meal! May this cup be taken from me.

On the way up to be crucified ...
Danielle The Passover Sacrificial Meal is NOT ended, the Fourth Cup (4) is not drank.. YET!
Matthew 27:34
There they offered Jesus wine to drink, mixed with gall; but after tasting it, he refused to drink it.

Jesus refuses to DRINK (above) he MUST be thirsty, he has lost a lot of blood!!! The Passover meal is not finished!

The unblemished Lamb is not slaughtered yet!
BUT...
Matthew 27:48
Immediately one of them ran and got a sponge. He filled it with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink.

Jesus drinks "The Forth Cup" on the cross, (above) the Passover meal is NOW FINISHED!

Revelation 5:6
Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

Jesus is the NEW Passover Unblemished Sacrificial Lamb.. All must eat the meal for DEATH to Pass Over CHRISTIANS!

These people are NOT CHRISTIANS..
John 6:52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

This person is a CHRISTIAN..
Ignatius of Antioch
He said..
"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).

Danielle Christians believe the words of Jesus, Jews do NOT! Christians eat the NEW Passover meal, Based on the First Passover in Egypt!

Dogknox
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 4:57:10 PM

"Reform" basically means "secular judaism." Largely involves the appreciation of being Jewish as opposed to following rules

If they're reform, I doubt the pre-dinner prayer/reading will take more than hour.

You'll be given a little booklet to read out of, and you'll be told which pages to go to.

They'll say step by step what to eat/drink/say.

Try to have fun. Ignore the fact that God committed massacred thousands of Egyptian children because their ruling tyrant refused to change the political status quo.

And, while it doesn't say so directly in the Bible, a lot of songs sing about frogs which "fall from the sky" (frogs actually just appeared).

If they say this, remember the following:

http://www.southparkstudios.com...
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 4:36:32 PM
At 3/4/2013 4:57:10 PM, Wnope wrote:

"Reform" basically means "secular judaism." Largely involves the appreciation of being Jewish as opposed to following rules

If they're reform, I doubt the pre-dinner prayer/reading will take more than hour.

You'll be given a little booklet to read out of, and you'll be told which pages to go to.

They'll say step by step what to eat/drink/say.

Try to have fun. Ignore the fact that God committed massacred thousands of Egyptian children because their ruling tyrant refused to change the political status quo.

And, while it doesn't say so directly in the Bible, a lot of songs sing about frogs which "fall from the sky" (frogs actually just appeared).

If they say this, remember the following:

http://www.southparkstudios.com...

Couldn't resist?
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 5:16:57 PM
At 3/4/2013 4:57:10 PM, Wnope wrote:
God committed massacred thousands of Egyptian children because their ruling tyrant refused to change the political status quo.

http://christianthinktank.com...
http://www.reasonablefaith.org...
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...