Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Debate challenge: Atheism is not a religion.

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 11:25:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am thinking of starting a debate on this topic, just not at this current time.

Would anyone be willing to take the con side of this debate and argue that "atheism is a religion"?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 11:31:51 AM
At 3/4/2013 11:25:31 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
I am thinking of starting a debate on this topic, just not at this current time.

Would anyone be willing to take the con side of this debate and argue that "atheism is a religion"?

I would take the debate. "there are large groups of atheists who practice anti-faith exactly as theists practice faith."
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:58:21 AM

I believe I believe I have no beliefs. = atheism.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 9:44:52 AM
If Atheism is a religion...
then bald is a hair color.
then health is a disease.
then pedestrians should be ticketed for driving their cars too far under the speed limit.
then what's the opposite of religion and what would you call someone who has no religion?
then bears are still Catholic, and the Pope still craps in the woods.
then cremation is a fashion statement and 0 is a quantity.
then absence is presence and you can never be lonely for anyone ever again because they are always with you.
then does that mean Christians have 2 religions since they also don't believe in all of the other gods?
then transparent is a color.
then abstinence is a form of sex.
then the Taliban is a Goodwill Organization
then a blank DVD is a movie and a blank word document is an essay (try telling that to a teacher).
then being a nonsmoker is a smoking habit.
then unemployment is a career.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 4:41:07 PM

Wouldn't it be a sure win one way or the other depending on how "atheism" and "religion" are defined and agreed upon in the context of the debate?
PureX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 11:41:35 PM
At 3/17/2013 4:41:07 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Wouldn't it be a sure win one way or the other depending on how "atheism" and "religion" are defined and agreed upon in the context of the debate?

Yes. And that's what usually happens when this debate/discussion comes up. People confuse a philosophical/theological proposition with religion, and then argue past each other.

Theism and atheism are theological propositions. One: that "God" exists, and the other that "God" does not exist. To debate these opposing propositions, the participants must find a mutually agreed upon concept/definition of "God", or they will almost certainly end up arguing past each other, each on a different 'track'.

Religion actually has little to do with the argument, unless both participants agree to debate the existence of a specific religious concept of "God".
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 4:59:05 AM
At 3/16/2013 9:44:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Then so is Buddhism
and Taoism
and every other atheist religion
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
jerry148
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:21:40 PM
I once read an explanation for why atheism is a religion, and it went something like this:

Where does the word "religion" come from? It comes from the Latin verb "religare", which means "to bind". That would arguably mean that "religion" is "binding" or "being bound" (in this case, to a belief in something).

If we accept "religion" to mean "binding [to a set of beliefs, moral, philosophies, etc]", then our understanding of religion would not necessarily be limited to a belief in God (referring to the Judeo-Christian God), but rather, a belief in whatever you wanted to believe in (could be God, Vishnu [I apologize if this example is incorrect, as I am not very familiar with Hinduism], unicorns, or the flying spaghetti monster (that one would be pretty kickass)). I don't claim to be correct, I'm just offering an explanation that I heard.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:42:57 PM
At 3/18/2013 5:21:40 PM, jerry148 wrote:
I once read an explanation for why atheism is a religion, and it went something like this:

Where does the word "religion" come from? It comes from the Latin verb "religare", which means "to bind". That would arguably mean that "religion" is "binding" or "being bound" (in this case, to a belief in something).

If we accept "religion" to mean "binding [to a set of beliefs, moral, philosophies, etc]", then our understanding of religion would not necessarily be limited to a belief in God (referring to the Judeo-Christian God), but rather, a belief in whatever you wanted to believe in (could be God, Vishnu [I apologize if this example is incorrect, as I am not very familiar with Hinduism], unicorns, or the flying spaghetti monster (that one would be pretty kickass)). I don't claim to be correct, I'm just offering an explanation that I heard.

"religion (n.)
c.1200, "state of life bound by monastic vows," also "conduct indicating a belief in a divine power," from Anglo-French religiun (11c.), Old French religion "religious community," from Latin religionem (nominative religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods," in Late Latin "monastic life" (5c.).

According to Cicero derived from relegere "go through again, read again," from re- "again" + legere "read" (see lecture (n.)). However, popular etymology among the later ancients (and many modern writers) connects it with religare "to bind fast" (see rely), via notion of "place an obligation on," or "bond between humans and gods." Another possible origin is religiens "careful," opposite of negligens."

http://www.etymonline.com...
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 5:53:07 PM
At 3/18/2013 4:59:05 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 3/16/2013 9:44:52 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Then so is Buddhism
and Taoism
and every other atheist religion

Buddhism has its sects of theists, like Theravada Buddhism. And Taoism is really more of a philosophy, but ill not debate you on that. Either way, it is not atheist, it's just not theist.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Imagination
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:40:13 PM
At 3/4/2013 11:31:51 AM, malcolmxy wrote:

I would take the debate. "there are large groups of atheists who practice anti-faith exactly as theists practice faith."

Oh, please. In every organization there are groups who practice their organization's principles exactly as theists practice faith. This has nothing to do with whether atheism is a religion. We're not talking about the people being religious, we're talking about the *concept* being religious. If people choose to follow a non-religious concept in a religious way, that is their choice and has no reflection on the concept itself. There are theists who follow the religious concept in non-religious ways; this does not make theism non-religious.
"And if reality doesn't fit the discrete labels we invent to describe it?" --drafterman