Jump to topic:

Intellectual Humility

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 3:22:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would like for believers to demonstrate 1) flaws in their holy books and/or theologies, 2) religious ideas about which they have doubts, and 3) the percentage likelihood of their accepted creeds being true.

Example from Christian X:
1) The Bible says rabbits chew their cud, that bats are birds, and that the moon produces its own light. These are false. Some of the ten commandments contradict each other, several other parts of the Bible, and our most basic integrity.
2) I doubt that the Holy Spirit exists. I doubt that the Exodus happened. I doubt that snakes can talk.
3) 78%

Do not refute the ideas in the example; they serve only as an example of what you could write.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 4:01:08 PM
At 3/5/2013 3:22:46 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I would like for believers to demonstrate 1) flaws in their holy books and/or theologies, 2) religious ideas about which they have doubts, and 3) the percentage likelihood of their accepted creeds being true.

1) The Bible says rabbits chew their cud, that bats are birds, and that the moon produces its own light. These are false. Some of the ten commandments contradict each other, several other parts of the Bible, and our most basic integrity.
2) I doubt that the Holy Spirit exists. I doubt that the Exodus happened. I doubt that snakes can talk.
3) 78%

Do not refute the ideas in the example; they serve only as an example of what you could write.

I don't know of any flaws in the bible on what it teaches. Indeed how could I know since spiritual truths are revealed rather than invented or discovered.

Yes if you think the scriptures teach science (anachronistic?) then you're bound to be disappointed, or if you think it teaches rabbit anatomy and ecology... but what reason do we have to think the author of the bible was intending to teach physical philosophy? When Christ was teaching the parable of the mustard seed he called it the smallest seed, which it clearly isn't, but was he teaching botany or spiritual truths on what faith can do? Christ himself had almost a knack for accommodating the knowledge of his disciples whence teaching on moral deontology. Would a mathematician do calculus for native tribesmen?

So for 1, I can't honestly say I would even know if spiritual truths taught in the bible were mistaken. They seem right to me as I use such lessons in my life so far though.

For 2, I have real doubts about demonic activity, and I think these doubts are more methodological than metaphysical. I have many other doubts about many religious add ons, but this is why I belief in the utility of atheism.

For 3, it would be some pretty false precision to give a % in doctrine, but I don't accept many doctrines. Divine simplicity seems incoherent to me, also purgatory and confessing your sins to a priest, these are all things which don't seem biblical to me. And so they're free to be rejected.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 4:01:25 PM

3) 78%

1. Whats with the dragons and the unicorns lol?

2. The Adam and Eve story still gets to me. Why did God not just make a couple sets of Humans?

3. Sorry but 98% lol.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 5:18:34 PM
The Bible says rabbits chew their cud, that bats are birds, and that the moon produces its own light. These are false. Some of the ten commandments contradict each other, several other parts of the Bible, and our most basic integrity.

Could we debate this?
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 6:42:40 PM
At 3/5/2013 4:01:08 PM, Apeiron wrote:
So for 1, I can't honestly say I would even know if spiritual truths taught in the bible were mistaken. They seem right to me as I use such lessons in my life so far though.

For 2, I have real doubts about demonic activity, and I think these doubts are more methodological than metaphysical. I have many other doubts about many religious add ons, but this is why I belief in the utility of atheism.

For 3, it would be some pretty false precision to give a % in doctrine, but I don't accept many doctrines. Divine simplicity seems incoherent to me, also purgatory and confessing your sins to a priest, these are all things which don't seem biblical to me. And so they're free to be rejected.

Good answer :) I too doubt the existence of demonic activity, precisely because I require strong evidence and argument for accepting odd and paranormal claims. Many Catholic Doctrines seem to exist without proper biblical warrant.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 6:43:21 PM
At 3/5/2013 5:18:34 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:
The Bible says rabbits chew their cud, that bats are birds, and that the moon produces its own light. These are false. Some of the ten commandments contradict each other, several other parts of the Bible, and our most basic integrity.

Could we debate this?

What does the last sentence of the OP state? Please write it in response to this post.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 6:45:57 PM
At 3/5/2013 6:43:21 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 3/5/2013 5:18:34 PM, 1Devilsadvocate wrote:

Could we debate this?

What does the last sentence of the OP state? Please write it in response to this post.

"Do not refute the ideas in the example; they serve only as an example of what you could write."
I did not refute, I asked if you'd be willing to debate it.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 6:55:12 PM
At 3/5/2013 6:42:40 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Good answer :) I too doubt the existence of demonic activity, precisely because I require strong evidence and argument for accepting odd and paranormal claims. Many Catholic Doctrines seem to exist without proper biblical warrant.

People start acting strange, you can't explain that, therefore demons, that's your warrant.

I saw comment that said something like aliens in the 21st are the demons of the 1st century. Oh not the nice aliens, you know the come into your bedroom and take you to a ship and anal probe you kind of aliens.....and slaughter cattle time from time.

Strange malevolent powerful personal agents not of this world. Trouble is once you believe they exist you go hunting for them, and when you try to find invisible personal agents......you find them.

Commence the witch errr alien hunt.

I suggest we heavily look upon Aperion, I mean think about it, APERION, ALIEN, co-incidence ? or is it ? And as Senator McCarthy would argue, I have no proof that Aperion is not or in consort with the aliens.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 7:06:12 PM
I think it's a bit of a false analogy to say that demons are so much like aliens that they fulfill essentially the same role in different time periods. They are meaningfully different in one key aspect: naturalism. Demons require a form of supernaturalism, whereas aliens merely require observable naturalism. Given that billions of species have existed on Earth (a planet revolving around a star), trillions of stars orbited by trillions more planets and moons--each with a chance for the formation of carbon, silicon, and boron-based lifeforms, it is not only possible that aliens exist, but probable.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 7:17:54 PM
At 3/5/2013 6:55:12 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

People start acting strange, you can't explain that, therefore demons, that's your warrant.

I saw comment that said something like aliens in the 21st are the demons of the 1st century. Oh not the nice aliens, you know the come into your bedroom and take you to a ship and anal probe you kind of aliens.....and slaughter cattle time from time.

Strange malevolent powerful personal agents not of this world. Trouble is once you believe they exist you go hunting for them, and when you try to find invisible personal agents......you find them.

I suggest we heavily look upon Aperion, I mean think about it, APERION, ALIEN, co-incidence ? or is it ? And as Senator McCarthy would argue, I have no proof that Aperion is not or in consort with the aliens.

lol.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 8:14:21 PM

There are other competing explanations. But like I said, mine is of a methodological doubt, not really so much of a metaphysical one.

I have been meaning to anally probe some folks on here lately, any takers?
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 8:15:07 PM
At 3/5/2013 7:06:12 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
I think it's a bit of a false analogy to say that demons are so much like aliens that they fulfill essentially the same role in different time periods. They are meaningfully different in one key aspect: naturalism. Demons require a form of supernaturalism, whereas aliens merely require observable naturalism. Given that billions of species have existed on Earth (a planet revolving around a star), trillions of stars orbited by trillions more planets and moons--each with a chance for the formation of carbon, silicon, and boron-based lifeforms, it is not only possible that aliens exist, but probable.

Nephilim... it's fun to speculate.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 8:18:35 PM

Yea, mine is a methodological doubt though, I'm open to their existence metaphysically, and I don't think that 'strong' evidence is required in their case, at least any stronger than what I hold as good evidence for natural things. Evidence, as such, speaks for itself, whether or not we consider it strong.

I'm simply agnostic on the matter, with a methodological doubt. In short, I'm indifferent to their existence. And if they do exist, and if Christianity is true, then I'll remain indifferent to their existence as they burn in the hell God created for them.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 9:41:22 PM

3) 78%

Why?
Tsar of DDO
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 9:41:38 PM
At 3/5/2013 8:15:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Were you snooping on my old blog?

Why do you think I was?
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 9:44:17 PM
At 3/5/2013 9:41:22 PM, YYW wrote:

3) 78%

Why?

cuz
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 9:50:45 PM
At 3/5/2013 8:14:21 PM, Apeiron wrote:

There are other competing explanations. But like I said, mine is of a methodological doubt, not really so much of a metaphysical one.

Well well well, look who just came out of the closet.....errr mothership.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 9:54:19 PM
At 3/5/2013 9:50:45 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 3/5/2013 8:14:21 PM, Apeiron wrote:

Well well well, look who just came out of the closet.....errr mothership.

No homo, just a dominance thing, it's not gay if you don't make eye contact. Dude you've got 7 hours left to post your rebuttal to our debate, no pussyfooting.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 11:47:38 PM
At 3/5/2013 9:41:38 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Why do you think I was?

"Intellectual humility" is a term I used for one of the "5 intellectual principles" I made a long time ago.

I think my fixation on them is what inevitably let to my conversation, as I invented them when I was still Christian.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 12:10:38 AM

The Bible comes from the Catholic Church, not the other way around. Lol.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 1:42:34 AM
At 3/5/2013 11:47:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/5/2013 9:41:38 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Why do you think I was?

"Intellectual humility" is a term I used for one of the "5 intellectual principles" I made a long time ago.

I think my fixation on them is what inevitably let to my conversation, as I invented them when I was still Christian.

Sounds sexy. Could you please link me to the blog post?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 1:43:19 AM
At 3/6/2013 12:10:38 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

*Waits for Christians to murder this post*
AlwaysMoreThanYou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 2:00:10 AM
At 3/6/2013 1:43:19 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

*Waits for heretics to murder this post*

No need to thank me.
'When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.' - John 16:13
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 3:02:42 AM
At 3/6/2013 1:42:34 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I can't. My old ramblings embarrass me. Too many grammar mistakes and too little of complex linguistic understanding which has come to define the way I think and explain things.

But the principles were:

1. Open-Mindedness
Accepting that you may currently disbelieve something which is true.

2. Skepticism
Never believing without question.

3. Curiosity
Actively seeking out new perspectives.

4. Intellectual-Humility
Accepting that you are ultimately ignorant about everything.
(Except the "two knowables" which, at the time, I believed were self-awareness and axiomatic logic)

5. Self-Honesty
Being vigilant about whether our decisions to believe have been purely deduced or simply based on emotional tendency.

I postulated that it's highly unlikely for a person to be born into the correct understanding of the universe. And that a strong foundation in these principles is necessary for sorting at the wheat from the tares, as it were.

In every instance of a controversial subject which asked for my opinion of belief of disbelief, I specifically went over these principles in my head and tried to apply them. This, at first, rapidly changed my understanding of Christianity and then, inevitably, resulted in the mess of brain-soup I have now.

I was raised in a conservative Christian family, in a small conservative Christian town, with only conservative Christian friends, going to conservative Christian church functions multiple times every week. I think establishing these principles was one of the first parts in setting into motion the conditions for what I now refer to as "The Anomaly". What gave me the idea or emotional acceptance for them, I have no idea.

I've decided that they idea of The Anomaly (the unpredictable mutation that creates the possibility for singularity) is really at the heart of my thinking and my life's story. I'll be writing a long fictional story with the idea at it's center.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 4:13:53 AM
^^That's an excellent list. Very deconstructionist of you. Bravo!! (seriously)
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 4:31:20 AM
At 3/6/2013 3:02:42 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/6/2013 1:42:34 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

I can't. My old ramblings embarrass me. Too many grammar mistakes and too little of complex linguistic understanding which has come to define the way I think and explain things.

But the principles were:

1. Open-Mindedness
Accepting that you may currently disbelieve something which is true.

I believe Gods truth, thus I can't be wrong cause God can't be wrong, praise Jesus !!!

2. Skepticism
Never believing without question.

The bible says......

3. Curiosity
Actively seeking out new perspectives.

Nah, we battle against principalities better to stay with fellow like minded believers, why be yoked to unbeliever ?

4. Intellectual-Humility

Believe in Jesus or go to hell. JOHN 3:16 !!!!!

Accepting that you are ultimately ignorant about everything.

The bible is Gods word, how can I be ignorant when we have Gods word ? Is God word not sufficient for all matters of faith ? adam and eve not adam and steve !!!

(Except the "two knowables" which, at the time, I believed were self-awareness and axiomatic logic)

5. Self-Honesty
Being vigilant about whether our decisions to believe have been purely deduced or simply based on emotional tendency.

If there is no God then life is pointless and there is nothing to stop people rapeing babies, no matter how you live it all washes up the same in the end. Atheism causes hitler.

I postulated that it's highly unlikely for a person to be born into the correct understanding of the universe. And that a strong foundation in these principles is necessary for sorting at the wheat from the tares, as it were.

Sure, unless you are born into a good bible believing family, filled with Gods holy spirit.

In every instance of a controversial subject which asked for my opinion of belief of disbelief, I specifically went over these principles in my head and tried to apply them. This, at first, rapidly changed my understanding of Christianity and then, inevitably, resulted in the mess of brain-soup I have now.

I was raised in a conservative Christian family, in a small conservative Christian town, with only conservative Christian friends, going to conservative Christian church functions multiple times every week. I think establishing these principles was one of the first parts in setting into motion the conditions for what I now refer to as "The Anomaly". What gave me the idea or emotional acceptance for them, I have no idea.

Your a luke warm christian......STOP THE WAR ON FAITH !!!

I've decided that they idea of The Anomaly (the unpredictable mutation that creates the possibility for singularity) is really at the heart of my thinking and my life's story. I'll be writing a long fictional story with the idea at it's center.

Now your just being stupid.
Apeiron
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 11:17:15 AM

No it absolutely does not. The Bible is a library of manuscripts, letters, etc written by ~66 authors over a large span of time. It would be e wholly anachronistic to suppose the Bible came from the Catholic Church.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 3:15:37 PM
At 3/5/2013 4:01:25 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

2. The Adam and Eve story still gets to me. Why did God not just make a couple sets of Humans?

At least a few thousand to prevent inbreeding, pls God.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 4:08:30 PM
At 3/6/2013 3:15:37 PM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
At 3/5/2013 4:01:25 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

At least a few thousand to prevent inbreeding, pls God.

lol