Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

I am secularist, am I spiritually wrong?

suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 12:07:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am secularist, am I spiritually wrong.

Before answering my answer, let me tell you what is my version of secularism mean.

1. I as, secularist, is not Atheist, I do not deny a existence of god, deity, or any object of worship. I simply treat it as irrelevant altogether. I am living in a material world, and whatever isn't, is simply not of my concern.

2. I do not exclude myself from religion. I will worship god, if situation required me too, will praise Muslim if it will please my partner whom I am involved with, and a Buddhist will gain the Chinese respect. I do not deny religion, I used it to further my material interest.

3. I will not be persuaded by any spiritual factor, as it is mentioned in the first statement, if it is not in material world it is not my concern. Therefore I will not dissuade from any act that is consider as sinful, immoral, cruel. Likewise, I will not be persuaded to commit such act which is merited, sincere, good. If I do not rob people, it is only because the society which I am depended on for material object indicated not to (through law). And if I have donated for the poor, the only reason I did it is because the said society favor it.

So I as defined above, is a secularist, am I spiritually wrong?
MaryCantHearYou
Posts: 5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2013 3:09:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Let me start off by asking you "where do you get your morals?" Can more than 1 "religion" be true? You said you will worship god...Well which one? Are there more than 1?
suttichart.denpruektham
Posts: 1,115
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 12:50:02 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2013 3:09:28 PM, MaryCantHearYou wrote:
Let me start off by asking you "where do you get your morals?" Can more than 1 "religion" be true? You said you will worship god...Well which one? Are there more than 1?

I as defined above, have received my morale only through material interest, and will worship as many religions or deities or god as long as it provides me with the same material benefit (and if it is exceed whatever cost I have to pay for the believe or associated with it).

Basically, under above definition, I keep walking my direction if it appears to cross with any intangible idea, so it is. We will walk together until we parted.
jerry148
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:02:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Well, what exactly do you mean by "spiritually wrong"?

If you are willing to profess a certain faith, only for material gain and not for the sake of professing your belief in a certain faith, then yes, I'd say you're an opportunist.

In my opinion, and this is purely subjective, your choice of opportunism is despicable. I'm not saying you are, but your choice is. If you choose to have society change your your beliefs and/or values, do you not then become merely a puppet for society?

Let me ask you a question of my own: if everything of monetary and/or material value suddenly became worthless/useless, what would you have for which to live?
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 6:39:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2013 12:07:15 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
I am secularist, am I spiritually wrong.

Before answering my answer, let me tell you what is my version of secularism mean.

1. I as, secularist, is not Atheist, I do not deny a existence of god, deity, or any object of worship. I simply treat it as irrelevant altogether. I am living in a material world, and whatever isn't, is simply not of my concern.

2. I do not exclude myself from religion. I will worship god, if situation required me too, will praise Muslim if it will please my partner whom I am involved with, and a Buddhist will gain the Chinese respect. I do not deny religion, I used it to further my material interest.

3. I will not be persuaded by any spiritual factor, as it is mentioned in the first statement, if it is not in material world it is not my concern. Therefore I will not dissuade from any act that is consider as sinful, immoral, cruel. Likewise, I will not be persuaded to commit such act which is merited, sincere, good. If I do not rob people, it is only because the society which I am depended on for material object indicated not to (through law). And if I have donated for the poor, the only reason I did it is because the said society favor it.

So I as defined above, is a secularist, am I spiritually wrong?

It doesn"t sound like you are spiritually anything to me. I can"t imagine that being completely materialistic, disingenuous, and insincere is very personally satisfying, but if that"s who you want to be, then it"s going to be who you are. I"m don"t think there is any spiritual tradition that advocates such an existence, so it"s not spiritually right by any standard I"m aware of, but rather than call it spiritually wrong, I"d say that you just aren"t the least bit spiritual.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:02:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/6/2013 12:07:15 PM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
I am secularist, am I spiritually wrong.

Before answering my answer, let me tell you what is my version of secularism mean.

1. I as, secularist, is not Atheist, I do not deny a existence of god, deity, or any object of worship. I simply treat it as irrelevant altogether. I am living in a material world, and whatever isn't, is simply not of my concern.

2. I do not exclude myself from religion. I will worship god, if situation required me too, will praise Muslim if it will please my partner whom I am involved with, and a Buddhist will gain the Chinese respect. I do not deny religion, I used it to further my material interest.

3. I will not be persuaded by any spiritual factor, as it is mentioned in the first statement, if it is not in material world it is not my concern. Therefore I will not dissuade from any act that is consider as sinful, immoral, cruel. Likewise, I will not be persuaded to commit such act which is merited, sincere, good. If I do not rob people, it is only because the society which I am depended on for material object indicated not to (through law). And if I have donated for the poor, the only reason I did it is because the said society favor it.

So I as defined above, is a secularist, am I spiritually wrong?

First of all (and I could wrong), I don't believe anything you're saying about yourself is true. I believe you are saying these things only to provoke people to anger and to make secularists look really stupid, in the same way Norman Lear used Archie Bunker to make conservatives look stupid, even though I believe his depiction of conservatism was a little more believable.
Dogknox
Posts: 5,085
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:20:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/16/2013 8:38:02 PM, Radar wrote:
Gawd, I love oxymorons!
"Smart-Woman"
"Civil-war"
"Go ahead back up"
"Large Shrimp"
"Chop down and chop up"
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:37:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/17/2013 10:20:02 PM, Dogknox wrote:
At 3/16/2013 8:38:02 PM, Radar wrote:
Gawd, I love oxymorons!
"Smart-Woman"
"Civil-war"
"Go ahead back up"
"Large Shrimp"
"Chop down and chop up"

Good government
Business ethics
Britney Spears wearing a Harvard sweatshirt
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.