Jump to topic:

Evolution and Religous beleif

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 6:41:25 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Warning I am about to pull something out of my a$$.

Part of evolution seems to be how traits through natural selection get filtered. This also includes behavioral traits.

If an intelligent species has the capacity to understand death and that they will die, in the struggle of life this could lead such a species or life form to form the conclusion....well f*ck it, why bother.

Now this might lead to some who form this view to either kill them self or at least not struggle so much to survive. Evolution is all about surviving, if the traits don't survive they get weeded out and even go bye bye.

So I guess humans should of being extinct a long time ago from mass suicides and in generally not bothering with day to day survival. But this wouldn't be the case if such a life form existed that had other traits to offset in an intelligent life form who realize the inevitability of death of them, their offspring, their species and even all life as they know it. (Such as an overriding base desire to live/avoid death)

I propose some sort of belief in the after life could help off set this. Details don't really matter, just as long as they help in survival or at least off set the problem above.

With the belief in an after life plus this afterlife is some how effected by what you do here (eg, don't die) this belief would seem to help offset the above problem, yes ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 6:48:40 AM
Well, now we know Daniel Dennett's DDO analog.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 6:49:54 AM
At 3/7/2013 6:48:40 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Well, now we know Daniel Dennett's DDO analog.

Seriously I know the name, only cause I have heard Sam Harris mention him, I have never read any of his stuff.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:34:49 AM
At 3/7/2013 6:41:25 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Part of evolution seems to be how traits through natural selection get filtered. This also includes behavioral traits.

If an intelligent species has the capacity to understand death and that they will die, in the struggle of life this could lead such a species or life form to form the conclusion....well f*ck it, why bother.

Why would a species come to that conclusion? Wouldn't a species try to live as long as possible because they fear death?

Now this might lead to some who form this view to either kill them self or at least not struggle so much to survive. Evolution is all about surviving, if the traits don't survive they get weeded out and even go bye bye.

So I guess humans should of being extinct a long time ago from mass suicides and in generally not bothering with day to day survival. But this wouldn't be the case if such a life form existed that had other traits to offset in an intelligent life form who realize the inevitability of death of them, their offspring, their species and even all life as they know it. (Such as an overriding base desire to live/avoid death)

I propose some sort of belief in the after life could help off set this. Details don't really matter, just as long as they help in survival or at least off set the problem above.

With the belief in an after life plus this afterlife is some how effected by what you do here (eg, don't die) this belief would seem to help offset the above problem, yes ?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:57:29 AM

B/c people like to live??... Enjoy aspects of life, and would look to continue doing so?

It is kind of odd how christians tend to say "what is the point" and "it's not worth it" when they consider a world without god..

Christianity is, First and Foremost, a Nihilistic religion...

It starts by instilling the belief that Your cares are unworthy/unimportant.. and replaces that with God's cares...
Then, contemplating the non-existence of god.. Christians are left only with that initial Nihilistic perspective that was instilled in them.

It also works the other way...
Nihilistic, woe-is me, puss*es like Saint Augustine cling to religion to give meaning to their unnappreciated existence.
They're Self-haters/Self-deniers.. and jump on the opportunity to Replace Themselves with God.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:58:27 AM

Your proposal denies instinct in order to work. Gnostics, at the start of the common era, held almost exactly what you propose only they would kill others to get them to God faster. Most educated believers accept evolution as real and part of the human condition, only a loud minority in the US find it a challenge. It should be noted that those who have difficulty with evolution have a history of difficulty accepting the how of God's creation.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 8:59:24 AM
At 3/7/2013 8:57:29 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
It starts by instilling the belief that Your cares are unworthy/unimportant.. and replaces that with God's cares...

why the constant "struggle" with sin figures so big...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 3:29:29 PM

You should return it to it's original resting place.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 3:37:48 PM
At 3/7/2013 3:29:29 PM, medic0506 wrote:

Oh hi there Medic, are you still going around saying atheism is a religion ?
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 4:18:12 PM
(1) If a creature has an intelligent understanding and/or fear of death, it will most likely try to avoid it.
(2) It is possible for a human being to copulate, and then commit suicide.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 4:34:40 PM
At 3/7/2013 3:37:48 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Hi there IC.

Yep, as long as there are atheists out there preaching the dogma, proselytizing, propagandizing, evangelizing and trying to gain converts, I'll keep calling it a religion.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2013 4:36:36 PM
At 3/7/2013 4:34:40 PM, medic0506 wrote:
At 3/7/2013 3:37:48 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Hi there IC.

Yep, as long as there are atheists out there preaching the dogma, proselytizing, propagandizing, evangelizing and trying to gain converts, I'll keep calling it a religion.

And what is the dogma you think atheists are preaching ?