Total Posts:45|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

US Supreme Court Ruling: Atheism is Religion

Alter2Ego
Posts: 235
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by insisting Christians are mental midgets for believing in a non-existent "sky god." They insist that the Judeo-Christian Bible is a book of fairytales. Their usual accusation is that because of the belief in God, theists have committed all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions." According to the many atheists I have debated at other websites, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

In reality, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians and other false religions is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)

"They have acted ruinously on their own part; they are not his children, the defect is their own. A generation crooked and twisted!" (Deuteronomy 32:5)

2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system that is vitally important in one's life. The belief system of atheism is centered around the default atheist philosophy of "Secular Humanism."

3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.
"That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth." (Psalms 83:18)
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 2:22:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by insisting Christians are mental midgets for believing in a non-existent "sky god." They insist that the Judeo-Christian Bible is a book of fairytales. Their usual accusation is that because of the belief in God, theists have committed all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions." According to the many atheists I have debated at other websites, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

In reality, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians and other false religions is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)


"They have acted ruinously on their own part; they are not his children, the defect is their own. A generation crooked and twisted!" (Deuteronomy 32:5)


2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system that is vitally important in one's life. The belief system of atheism is centered around the default atheist philosophy of "Secular Humanism."


3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.

So?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 2:35:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by insisting Christians are mental midgets for believing in a non-existent "sky god." They insist that the Judeo-Christian Bible is a book of fairytales. Their usual accusation is that because of the belief in God, theists have committed all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions." According to the many atheists I have debated at other websites, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

No its just not the "belief" in God. It's all the other beliefs that go along with it....God wants you to......Its a sin too.....God doesn't mind if you....

Then you can just make up anything you want.

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

There is a difference here of critical importance. It's not just about who did what, its about WHY.

Sure some non believers in God, big foot, aliens etc etc have killed and will kill again, but its a stretch to say that because they lack belief X therefore they did Y.

Now compare that to some one how not only believes in God, but God wants them to do xyz.....and that's a clear reason for the person doing xyz.


In reality, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians and other false religions is an attempt at passing the buck.

False christians, look up no true scotsman fallacy.

Yeah, yeah, buddy, every person who claims people aren't being taught "biblical" truth see them self as the holder of biblical truth.


"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)


"They have acted ruinously on their own part; they are not his children, the defect is their own. A generation crooked and twisted!" (Deuteronomy 32:5)


2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system that is vitally important in one's life. The belief system of atheism is centered around the default atheist philosophy of "Secular Humanism."

Atheism doesn't equal secular humanism.

If religion is just defined as something as vitally important in ones life then alot more things are going to get included as religions, under that very very broad definition.



3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
annanicole
Posts: 19,787
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 7:46:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Atheism is not a religion - nor can it be. The derivation(s) of the word (and there are several possibilities) preclude it. The courts have issued many definitions here and there that are blatantly wrong.
Madcornishbiker: "No, I don't need a dictionary, I know how scripture uses words and that is all I need to now."
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 9:06:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Atheism is not a religion. In the next few weeks I'll have a debate with you on it if you wish?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
jh1234l
Posts: 580
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 6:50:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by insisting Christians are mental midgets for believing in a non-existent "sky god." They insist that the Judeo-Christian Bible is a book of fairytales. Their usual accusation is that because of the belief in God, theists have committed all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions." According to the many atheists I have debated at other websites, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:


Oh yeah? Creationists insist that atheists are evil and driven by demons sent from satan.

Well, that is what some atheists claim, not what atheists in general claim. They only claim there is no god/they don't believe in god/etc.This statement is practically a strawman.

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.


This logic does not follow. An athiest did it =/= atheism caused it


In reality, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians and other false religions is an attempt at passing the buck.


Correlation does not equal causation. Refer to my response on your last statement.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:07:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

Stalin only claimed he was an atheist. But he didn't follow actual atheist beliefs. He wasn't a real atheist.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,285
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:38:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 7:07:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

Stalin only claimed he was an atheist. But he didn't follow actual atheist beliefs. He wasn't a real atheist.

He also made a deal with the Russian Orthodox church once the war with Germany began. They even made Stalin ikons at one point.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:41:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 7:07:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

Stalin only claimed he was an atheist. But he didn't follow actual atheist beliefs. He wasn't a real atheist.

How do you follow "actual atheist beliefs"?

What is the difference between a "real atheist" and an unreal atheist?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Pennington
Posts: 1,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:43:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 7:07:13 PM, muzebreak wrote:
1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

But he didn't follow actual atheist beliefs.

So, atheist have their own set of beliefs? Kinda sounds like a religious sect.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:07:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
"He wasn't a real atheist." How would one identify a person impersonating an atheist?
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:17:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We can only go off what Stalin said he was. So he was an atheist. But he pointed to no tenet inherent to atheism for his behavior; rather, he used Communism to support his genocide. And I think we can all agree that Communism (or, at the very least, the form of Communism practiced in Russia) was bad, right?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:21:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
To those questioning my post. It was parody of all those people who claim that hitler wasn't a real Christian. It doesn't matter what a person is, unless it actually influenced their acts. If you can prove Stalin killed a bunch of people because he was an atheist, then go for it. If you can prove that hitler killed all those Jews because he was a Christian then more power to you. But the facts are, Stalin was an atheist, hitler was a Christian.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:23:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 8:17:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
We can only go off what Stalin said he was. So he was an atheist. But he pointed to no tenet inherent to atheism for his behavior; rather, he used Communism to support his genocide. And I think we can all agree that Communism (or, at the very least, the form of Communism practiced in Russia) was bad, right?

I would call that more Stalinism them communism. In real communism you wouldn't have a dictator. And everyone would be equal.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:24:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 8:23:02 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/19/2013 8:17:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
We can only go off what Stalin said he was. So he was an atheist. But he pointed to no tenet inherent to atheism for his behavior; rather, he used Communism to support his genocide. And I think we can all agree that Communism (or, at the very least, the form of Communism practiced in Russia) was bad, right?

I would call that more Stalinism them communism. In real communism you wouldn't have a dictator. And everyone would be equal.

Okie doke, we can all agree that Stalinism was/is bad.

Better?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:28:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 8:24:33 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 3/19/2013 8:23:02 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/19/2013 8:17:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
We can only go off what Stalin said he was. So he was an atheist. But he pointed to no tenet inherent to atheism for his behavior; rather, he used Communism to support his genocide. And I think we can all agree that Communism (or, at the very least, the form of Communism practiced in Russia) was bad, right?

I would call that more Stalinism them communism. In real communism you wouldn't have a dictator. And everyone would be equal.

Okie doke, we can all agree that Stalinism was/is bad.

Better?

Yep!
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Sidewalker
Posts: 3,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:02:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 8:23:02 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/19/2013 8:17:14 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
We can only go off what Stalin said he was. So he was an atheist. But he pointed to no tenet inherent to atheism for his behavior; rather, he used Communism to support his genocide. And I think we can all agree that Communism (or, at the very least, the form of Communism practiced in Russia) was bad, right?

I would call that more Stalinism them communism. In real communism you wouldn't have a dictator. And everyone would be equal.

Stalin wasn't a real atheist or a real communist? Was it at least a real mustache?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
s-anthony
Posts: 2,582
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:34:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
There's one little ingredient essential to all religions atheism lacks: cohesion. Other than the belief, "God doesn't exist", there are no tenets of atheism.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 11:57:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 11:34:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
and I'm a deist.

Since when?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 12:18:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The saying is "If atheism is a religion then not collecting stamps is a hobby." My understanding is that the Courts ruled that atheism's beliefs about religion are afforded protection under the Constitution along with religion.

Religion is difficult to define. Jainism and Buddhism are religions that do not require belief in a god or gods. The Buddha advised not consider the god question.

I think strong political ideologies are modern substitutes for religion. They provide firm answers to basic questions. For example, evil comes from capitalism or George Bush or whatever. Ecology nutcases have a mountain of quasi-religious beliefs. Dismissing old religions makes room for the new.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:04:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The religion section of The Encyclopedia of Philosophy mentions nine qualifications for religions. The more qualifications out of the nine, the more "religious-like" the belief system is.

1. Belief in supernatural beings (gods).
2. A distinction between sacred and profane objects.
3. Ritual acts focused on sacred objects.
4. A moral code believed to be sanctioned by the gods.
5. Characteristically religious feelings (awe, sense of mystery, sense of guilt, adoration).
6. Prayer and other forms of communication with gods.
7. A world view, or a general picture of the world as a whole and the place of the individual therein. Contains meaning and purpose.
8. A more or less total organization of one's life based on the world view.
9. A social group bound together by the above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Anything beyond the simple belief that no god/s exist or the lack of belief that god/s exist for describing atheism as a philosophical stance is factually incorrect.
2. Many atheists think science is a worthwhile intellectual study of the natural world through observation and experiment, but that doesn't *make* science a tenet of atheism. Atheism isn't a set of beliefs, it is simply not believing in god/s.
3. Science believes in accordance with strong evidence and strong argument. If an idea is *possible* and likely given past verifiable knowledge, a scientist may create a hypothesis. If they have a large body of facts that are repeatedly confirmed through experiment and observation, they form a theory to explain the natural world. One of the first assumptions of science *is* naturally causality of a comprehensible and natural world, so from that it dismisses most of the characteristics that make it a religion.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 1:05:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/19/2013 11:57:48 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 3/19/2013 11:34:22 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
and I'm a deist.
Since when?

Since FREEDO's ideology challenge.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Chase200mph
Posts: 332
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 9:52:10 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by insisting Christians are mental midgets for believing in a non-existent "sky god." They insist that the Judeo-Christian Bible is a book of fairytales. Their usual accusation is that because of the belief in God, theists have committed all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions." According to the many atheists I have debated at other websites, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind. Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1. Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians), compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.

In reality, the problem is not the Bible or God. The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths. An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians and other false religions is an attempt at passing the buck.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)


"They have acted ruinously on their own part; they are not his children, the defect is their own. A generation crooked and twisted!" (Deuteronomy 32:5)


2. Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system that is vitally important in one's life. The belief system of atheism is centered around the default atheist philosophy of "Secular Humanism."


3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.

My first response is to call BS....my second is to yell GOOD, then I don't have e to pay anymore taxes if this was true.
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.
Chase200mph
Posts: 332
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 9:53:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
ALTER2EGO -to- EVERYONE:

Atheists consistently attempt to take the higher ground by insisting Christians are mental midgets for believing in a non-existent "sky god."

Answer: Maybe this is because they deserve to be treated this way because of their actions?

They insist that the Judeo-Christian Bible is a book of fairytales.

Answer: They insist that you as a Christian have no evidence, and because you do not, it resembles a fairy tale"..you on the other hand do not believe that the father god sent his son to be sacrificed"but Horus the son of RA did just that"right?

Their usual accusation is that because of the belief in God, theists have committed all sorts of human rights violations in the name of "cultish religions." According to the many atheists I have debated at other websites, it is the belief in God that has caused people to commit the various atrocities common to mankind.

Answer: Well let"s see, Adolf Hitler, a Catholic in good standing that resent CIA docments show was fiully supported by the Church, the same Church that built a death camp for little children before WWII, the same Church that support the Christian Nazi movement, the same Church that commissioned and justified murdering 500 Nations here in the Americas""

Remove religion, belief in God, and belief in the Bible--the atheists argue--and the world will be a better place. This latter conclusion is mortally flawed for the following reasons:

1.Atheists have committed human rights violations en masse throughout history. For instance, Joseph Stalin--the atheist--ordered the deaths of between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians),

Answer: You mean Joseph Stalin, the man raised and who was adevout Greek Orthodox Christian, the one who went mad because his god wished it so and killed between 40 million to 62 million people (20 million of which were everyday Soviet civilians)".that Joseph Stalin.

2.compared to the 9 million or so killed by Adolph Hitler the Roman Catholic who merely claimed he was a Christian.
Answer: I see, so with 38000 Christian denominations who find themselves in conflict with each other"s beliefs". so you now profess to speak for the lot and having been given the divine power to choose who is, and who is not a Christian to suit your ignorant diatribe?

In reality, the problem is not the Bible or God.

Answer: Really, well if you can determine what does and does not apply in the bible just like the remaining 37999 denominations do, then the problem is with the bible which can be manipulated to bolster any desire, of any reader.
The problem is people, including those in false religions which have failed to teach the masses Biblical truths.
Answer: you mean like the other 37999 Christian denotations do concerning your beliefs falsehoods.

An appreciation for Biblical truths and Jehovah's righteous standards of what's right and what's wrong is the only detriment against people committing human rights violations. Blaming God for the crimes of false Christians and other false religions is an attempt at passing the buck.

Answer: So the problem is with Christian then"good enough for me.

"See! This only I have found, that the true God made mankind upright, but they themselves have sought out many plans." (Ecclesiastes 7:29)
Answer: What I see is someone that cannot come up with anything that sounds wise so he adds a scripture and rides off the credit and works of others.

"They have acted ruinously on their own part; they are not his children, the defect is their own. A generation crooked and twisted!" (Deuteronomy 32:5)

Answer: I see, so apologetics allows for atrocities found in the bible, the Church and Christian history"but don"t you let a non-believer get away with it".not to mention you lying about Christian atrocities in the first place. The difference being is that bad people will always do bad things, but it takes a religion to get good people to commit evil acts.

3.Atheism is itself a religion. While atheist will argue that they don't believe in any god, the issue is not merely non-belief in God or gods but in having ANY sort of belief system that is vitally important in one's life. The belief system of atheism is centered around the default atheist philosophy of "Secular Humanism."
Answer: The level of Ignorance you possess astounds me, Atheist don"t see your god because you have no evidence of your god".and theirs is the belief system"man you should go back to school and get your GED or something.

4.Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry,

Answer: Kaufman v. McCaughtry, What it declared was that in First Amendment issues, atheists have the same rights and protections as any other religion http://caselaw.findlaw.com...

5.as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.
Answer: Torcaso v. Watkins: Torcaso was denied his appointment to Notary Public on Maryland because he refused to declare his belief in God. http://religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu...
As a Pre-Law student I find your renderings a complete fabrication made by a weak and desperate mind"..how do you tell if a Christian is lying".their mouths are usually moving.
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2013 2:14:34 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.

Tell me, Alter2Ego, do you believe the Constitution gives women the right to abortions because the Supreme Court says so? If not, why do you believe that atheism is a religion because the Supreme Court says so?
AlbinoBunny
Posts: 3,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 9:19:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The main thing to keep in mind is that an atheist can be religious, a theist can be religious, a theist can also not be religious and so can an atheist.

Whether or not you believe in any gods, doesn't say anything about if you're religious.

Theism isn't a religion, and neither is atheism.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Alter2Ego
Posts: 235
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:37:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/21/2013 2:14:34 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.

Tell me, Alter2Ego, do you believe the Constitution gives women the right to abortions because the Supreme Court says so? If not, why do you believe that atheism is a religion because the Supreme Court says so?


ALTER2EGO -to- WIPLOC:
Whether or not I agree with the Supreme Court ruling on abortion, or anything else for that matter, is not the point. They will still insist it is U.S. law. My acceptance or rejection of U.S. law will not stop it from being law. Similarly, your claim that atheism is not religion because you don't agree with the court ruling won't change a thing. Atheism is still a Religion by law. Deal with that.
"That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth." (Psalms 83:18)
Chase200mph
Posts: 332
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 7:02:39 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/31/2013 10:37:17 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
At 3/21/2013 2:14:34 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 3/9/2013 1:56:48 PM, Alter2Ego wrote:
3. Atheism is a religion according to a 2005 Wisconsin Federal Court ruling on the matter of Kaufman v. McCaughtry, as well as the Torcaso v. Watkins case by the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court"the highest court in the land"where court rulings become national law.

Tell me, Alter2Ego, do you believe the Constitution gives women the right to abortions because the Supreme Court says so? If not, why do you believe that atheism is a religion because the Supreme Court says so?


ALTER2EGO -to- WIPLOC:
Whether or not I agree with the Supreme Court ruling on abortion, or anything else for that matter, is not the point. They will still insist it is U.S. law. My acceptance or rejection of U.S. law will not stop it from being law. Similarly, your claim that atheism is not religion because you don't agree with the court ruling won't change a thing. Atheism is still a Religion by law. Deal with that.

Deal with it; you"re full of cow pie!
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.