Jump to topic:

What is God for?

matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 10:15:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
BELIEVERS: What purpose does God serve in your life? if any.

ATHEISTS: What purpose WOULD you like God to serve in your life? if any.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 11:48:25 PM
At 3/9/2013 10:15:36 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that God has a purpose. Things get their purpose from persons. For example, the purpose of a fork is to eat, and it has that purpose because that was the intention of the person who invented forks. But if God wasn't invented, and if is the source of everything else that exists, then everything outside of God can have a purpose, but God himself can't.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2013 11:56:29 PM
At 3/9/2013 11:48:25 PM, philochristos wrote:

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that God has a purpose. Things get their purpose from persons. For example, the purpose of a fork is to eat, and it has that purpose because that was the intention of the person who invented forks. But if God wasn't invented, and if is the source of everything else that exists, then everything outside of God can have a purpose, but God himself can't.

Yeah that reminds me of a thread I think I did once. When people say that without God life has no objective purpose, they argue that for something to have purpose it has to come from an outside......errr purposer.

But like you said, God can't have a...purposer, therefore has no objective purpose, so God is without objective purpose.

Will people try to have it both ways, and claim God has objective purpose and without God humans don't ? probably. Special pleading for God, nothing to see here.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 12:17:23 AM

I would like God to serve my every need and want, no matter how trivial or superfluous. I imagine, though, this is unlikely to ever happen.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 1:41:19 AM
At 3/10/2013 12:17:23 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I would like God to serve my every need and want, no matter how trivial or superfluous. I imagine, though, this is unlikely to ever happen.:

If a there is a God why would you be served and not been created to serve the God?
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 1:44:20 AM

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that God has a purpose. Things get their purpose from persons. For example, the purpose of a fork is to eat, and it has that purpose because that was the intention of the person who invented forks. But if God wasn't invented, and if is the source of everything else that exists, then everything outside of God can have a purpose, but God himself can't.:

What if creating and giving life is a purpose of God and is therefore God's purpose? God's purpose is to give life and to create it amoung other things.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 5:22:27 AM
I wouldn't like a God for anything, as I have a subconscious conflict with the metaphorical father figure.

The Goddess does just fine for me. To each their own.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:03:42 AM
At 3/10/2013 1:41:19 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/10/2013 12:17:23 AM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

I would like God to serve my every need and want, no matter how trivial or superfluous. I imagine, though, this is unlikely to ever happen.:

If a there is a God why would you be served and not been created to serve the God?

If God wanted something from you he could tell you him...errr its self. Notice how its always people claiming to know what God wants you to do ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:11:16 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:03:42 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

If God wanted something from you he could tell you him...errr its self. Notice how its always people claiming to know what God wants you to do ?:

What if it is you that can't or refuses to hear God telling?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:13:03 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:11:16 AM, Pennington wrote:

If God wanted something from you he could tell you him...errr its self. Notice how its always people claiming to know what God wants you to do ?:

In english please
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:16:06 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:13:03 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

In english please

People telling you what God wants does not equal God telling you what God wants.

Understand ?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:18:18 AM

In english please:

What if it is you that is standing in the way of hearing God? It is true that God tells you what to do and not people but it is up to you if that relationship develops.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:20:13 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:18:18 AM, Pennington wrote:

In english please:

What if it is you that is standing in the way of hearing God? It is true that God tells you what to do and not people but it is up to you if that relationship develops.

And what has God told you to do ?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:25:19 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:20:13 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

And what has God told you to do ?:

To tell people about Him and His word.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:27:09 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:25:19 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/10/2013 6:20:13 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

And what has God told you to do ?:

To tell people about Him and His word.

In that phrase "him" and "word" are really loaded with all sorts of religious beliefs thrown in there.

Now where do you think those beliefs came from ?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 6:37:45 AM
At 3/10/2013 6:27:09 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

In that phrase "him" and "word" are really loaded with all sorts of religious beliefs thrown in there.:
Not really, just 'faith.'

Now where do you think those beliefs came from ?:
God
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:36:48 AM
If I could choose, he should have the purpose of a wish-fulfiller. It would be awesome to have unlimited wishes..

Then again, that probably will not happen.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:54:13 AM
Great responses, thanks :)

Yeah as you can tell my wording is not exactly clear I just wanted to say it that way lol. So no, I don't really mean "How does God serve us?" but more like what purpose is there for having God in your life? If the answer is simply "to do the purpose of God" then that's fine I would agree, but I guess I was searching a little deeper and more personal. If you don't believe that God is personal that's fine, I happen to believe God is and cares about our life and what choices we make. I guess I could have just said "what would you like from God or maybe even want? if any" or what would you desire from God in your life or within yourself?
Psalm 37: 4,5
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:54:48 AM
At 3/10/2013 7:36:48 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
If I could choose, he should have the purpose of a wish-fulfiller. It would be awesome to have unlimited wishes..

lol
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 7:55:45 AM
At 3/10/2013 7:54:48 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

lol

Why lol?
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 8:02:53 AM

A philosophical, in some cases scientific, option for our existence/reality/universe/multi-verse.

I don't appreciate all the religion though.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 9:22:10 AM
At 3/10/2013 7:55:45 AM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 3/10/2013 7:54:48 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

lol

Why lol?

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were being humorous. Yeah that is a cool idea. I think that God is that way to some extent, but probably not unlimited lol, but it would be fun if it were.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 9:30:57 AM
At 3/10/2013 8:02:53 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

A philosophical, in some cases scientific, option for our existence/reality/universe/multi-verse.

I don't appreciate all the religion though.

Good point. I believe that God can be philosophically complete, for an individual. Each of us are unique and require various and complicated levels of satisfaction and I personally believe that God can meet those desires "IF" we seek Him and are willing to listen and be prepared to be flexible. I think everything you said is right on especially the last sentence.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:04:18 AM
At 3/10/2013 1:44:20 AM, Pennington wrote:

I'm not sure it makes sense to say that God has a purpose. Things get their purpose from persons. For example, the purpose of a fork is to eat, and it has that purpose because that was the intention of the person who invented forks. But if God wasn't invented, and if is the source of everything else that exists, then everything outside of God can have a purpose, but God himself can't.:

What if creating and giving life is a purpose of God and is therefore God's purpose? God's purpose is to give life and to create it amoung other things.

That's purpose in a different sense. I do believe God has a purpose in the sense that God does things for reasons. I just don't think God has a purpose in the sense that somebody meant for him to exist for a reason.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:18:42 AM

Like sarcastic said, wish fulfiller would be cool.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:23:39 AM
Nothing. The world is hard enough to figure out as it is, so I don't want ghosts tinkering with my favorite machine, even if it does work out in my favor. As far as I'm concerned, any god would be, at best, an omnipresent confounding variable.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:44:37 AM
At 3/10/2013 10:23:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:
Nothing. The world is hard enough to figure out as it is, so I don't want ghosts tinkering with my favorite machine, even if it does work out in my favor. As far as I'm concerned, any god would be, at best, an omnipresent confounding variable.

Wow I don't know if I ever would have thought of it that way. If I may ask, "IF" God were to exist, is there really nothing that you would desire of Him?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 10:52:17 AM
At 3/10/2013 10:44:37 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 3/10/2013 10:23:39 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Wow I don't know if I ever would have thought of it that way. If I may ask, "IF" God were to exist, is there really nothing that you would desire of Him?

I think that the vast majority of the joy in my life comes from figuring things out. I think that most people have this characteristic, to some degree. In most prominent modern theologies a god exists outside of nature and can twist it to it's whim, and I would have no use for a deity like that because it would make the world a fluid plaything instead of an objective reality which I could understand and thus enjoy. If a god existed inside the universe, subjected to certain laws of nature, as the Greeks saw their gods, there would be a great many things I would want from it, because it would just be another aspect of this world, not something external to it. In this case, the one overarching thing that I would want from it would probably be complete understanding of it's characteristics and motives.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2013 11:27:48 AM
God is my ability to reason. I choose between the choices God offers me. If my choice is not well thought out to best serve God and his people I will be an accessory to evil. I am an accessory constantly, but I believe I am getting better.