Jump to topic:

Intelligence Squared Debate

daniel_t
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 6:03:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Does anybody wish to comment on this debate? My question is meant to be one of style and skill of the debaters, but given the subject matter, I expect this discussion won't keep within those parameters.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 8:15:35 PM
Intellectual video?

Efficiency fail, translate to text immediately.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 8:27:30 PM
Chris Hitchens and Stephen Fry are intellectual heavyweights, both capable of creating lots of impact and keeping the audience interested.

Their opponents, on the other hand, were a clergyman who can barely speak English and an old woman politician. However, they lost the debate not on style, but rather on the issues of condemning Gays, condemning condom use in Africa, and child abuse. Of course, it would have been closer were the sides more evenly matched.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 9:08:55 PM
And yeah, Hitchens, Fry are both well read, well traveled intellectual peers, who are not nearly matched by a jovial archbishop and someone using the debate as a political speech. Surely the organisers could have rung Cambridge and Oxford first - though I suspect the BBC was more concerned about having recognisable public figures debate, than the capacity for them to debate well.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 9:36:20 PM
At 11/8/2009 8:15:35 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Intellectual video?

Efficiency fail, translate to text immediately.

Nothing you wouldn't of already encountered.
omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 10:22:34 PM
At 11/8/2009 9:36:20 PM, Puck wrote:
Nothing you wouldn't of already encountered.
Wouldn't of, eh? I wouldn't have expected that utterance from one such as yourself.