Jump to topic:

Religion text, can it be neglected?

suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 10:12:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Is it possible for one who is religious to rationalize and deny part of religion text that is unreasonable or contradicted.

For example, if you are Christian, is it possible to think of bible as largely false? Rationalize it as, perhaps it is just a legend that the one who write it just wanted to use it to spread Christian value like mercy, humility etc. to the world? Like a parent who told their child not to play alone near the river because you will be kidnapped by a mermaid, just to scare the child off from dangerous place. Treat hell as place of sorrow, and the term "eternally burn in hell" as eternally sorrow for the sin you committed? Treat the day of judgement just as legend to scare man of sin? etc.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 10:29:43 AM
At 3/14/2013 10:12:17 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Is it possible for one who is religious to rationalize and deny part of religion text that is unreasonable or contradicted.

For example, if you are Christian, is it possible to think of bible as largely false? Rationalize it as, perhaps it is just a legend that the one who write it just wanted to use it to spread Christian value like mercy, humility etc. to the world? Like a parent who told their child not to play alone near the river because you will be kidnapped by a mermaid, just to scare the child off from dangerous place. Treat hell as place of sorrow, and the term "eternally burn in hell" as eternally sorrow for the sin you committed? Treat the day of judgement just as legend to scare man of sin? etc.

As a Christian, the message of the Scriptures is true the stories mostly fiction. The rationalization of which you write comes from the other direction when one confuses the d with words and then can not accept fact, ie evolution.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 10:41:13 AM

Ron Paul got booed for making a point that Jesus himself made. As the high majority of americans are christian, the likely hood is that the majority of that crowd were christian. That means he god booed by christians, for trying to follow the teachings of christ.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 10:51:08 AM
Well I don't know mush about local US politic, may be not even in my own country but that is the way my family usually came up when we found that religion text is unreasonable (such as the physical description of Buddha, heaven hell etc).
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 11:09:07 AM
At 3/14/2013 10:51:08 AM, suttichart.denpruektham wrote:
Well I don't know mush about local US politic, may be not even in my own country but that is the way my family usually came up when we found that religion text is unreasonable (such as the physical description of Buddha, heaven hell etc).

Are you a Buddhist?

Some religions are much more lenient. But with the abrahamic religions, they are usually very strict. It's all about sin, hell fire, good and evil, all that stuff that tries to give you an us versus them mentality to keep you on their side.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 11:13:34 AM

For example, if you are Christian, is it possible to think of bible as largely false?:
No but alot do.
Rationalize it as, perhaps it is just a legend that the one who write it just wanted to use it to spread Christian value like mercy, humility etc. to the world? Like a parent who told their child not to play alone near the river because you will be kidnapped by a mermaid, just to scare the child off from dangerous place. Treat hell as place of sorrow, and the term "eternally burn in hell" as eternally sorrow for the sin you committed? Treat the day of judgement just as legend to scare man of sin? etc.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 11:15:53 AM
At 3/14/2013 11:09:07 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Are you a Buddhist?

Some religions are much more lenient. But with the abrahamic religions, they are usually very strict. It's all about sin, hell fire, good and evil, all that stuff that tries to give you an us versus them mentality to keep you on their side.

Most Religions are "strict". Buddhism is a Philosophy more that a religion. Christianity is not strict, hassidic judaism is.
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2013 11:48:10 AM
At 3/14/2013 11:09:07 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Are you a Buddhist?

My family is, I only do on its most secular sense.

I hate to say this but I guess you have never encounter the Buddhism on its religion sense before. For many in Buddhist country, Buddhism is a religion in every sense. Its purely paganism, they worship Buddha statue as individual gods (like how the west African turn their local deity in to Christian saint). Monk word is virtue, and if you disobey, it is a sin and you are going to hell (not always the case but certainly do exist). Hell is govern by some sort of hell god very similar to Christianity and the description of punishment is even more brutal such as being boil alive, hanging by your tong on the tree etc. Merit is obtain by doing "good" such as monk, prey, or pay, again very similar to catholic Christianity.

I can go all day about my wired the Buddhism is when it come to their religion aspect, and some even canonized. That's why my family (my mother in specific) simply treat the point as unrelevant. The Buddha didn't even write the text himself and it is 2000 years ago, may be some kings modified it for their political need who's know. Again, a point similar to Catholic, yes it is used to bring people in submission.