Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 10:41:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 3/16/2013 10:38:00 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
Tax breaks

^this
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 12:09:10 PM
At 3/16/2013 10:29:30 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

What differentiates religion, calculating theories and superstition?
FIX'D
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 12:41:30 PM
At 3/16/2013 12:09:10 PM, Pennington wrote:

What differentiates religion, calculating theories and superstition?
FIX'D

Wtf is a calculating theory?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:40:49 PM
Well, some kind of religion may be true, superstition most likely isn't. There's a lot of superstitious people around here, and I hate it. Christianity here has gotten the form of superstition too, which sucks as well. It's horrible.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 2:53:33 PM
At 3/16/2013 2:40:49 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
Well, some kind of religion may be true, superstition most likely isn't.

So, in other words, religion may be true, and superstition may be false?

There's a lot of superstitious people around here, and I hate it. Christianity here has gotten the form of superstition too, which sucks as well. It's horrible.

So, Christianity has gotten to the point of being most likely not true around DDO?

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 4:32:35 PM
At 3/16/2013 2:53:33 PM, muzebreak wrote:

No. I'm saying superstition is blatantly false. Obviously a black cat crossing the road won't give you bad luck. It can be argued for, but I don't think any of us agree it is more probable than religion.

There's a lot of superstitious people around here, and I hate it. Christianity here has gotten the form of superstition too, which sucks as well. It's horrible.

So, Christianity has gotten to the point of being most likely not true around DDO?
No, I'm talking about people my age in my hometown. On DDO, religion is not like superstition in any way.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 4:42:30 PM
At 3/16/2013 4:32:35 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

No. I'm saying superstition is blatantly false. Obviously a black cat crossing the road won't give you bad luck. It can be argued for, but I don't think any of us agree it is more probable than religion.

Depends on the religion. I think that situation is more likely to happen, then the one in Scientology. And personally, I think it's more likely then Christianity aswell.

No, I'm talking about people my age in my hometown. On DDO, religion is not like superstition in any way.

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:05:58 PM
At 3/16/2013 2:30:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
Plutarch.

To elaborate, I like Plutarch's distinction between religion and superstition. It's BRILLIANT. I think it hits the nail on the head quite nicely.

http://thriceholy.net...
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:17:38 PM
At 3/16/2013 4:42:30 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Depends on the religion. I think that situation is more likely to happen, then the one in Scientology. And personally, I think it's more likely then Christianity aswell.
I agree, it depends. But I'd rather bet on Islam/Christianity being true than something that brings bad luck.

<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:25:48 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:17:38 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

I agree, it depends. But I'd rather bet on Islam/Christianity being true than something that brings bad luck.

Why?

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:27:35 PM

What differentiates religion and superstition?

The number of people that take it seriously.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:06:07 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:25:48 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Why?

...Because I find the arguments for the existence of God more challenging than the arguments for the bad-luck giving cat...

<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:08:25 PM
At 3/16/2013 7:06:07 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:

Why?

...Because I find the arguments for the existence of God more challenging than the arguments for the bad-luck giving cat...

So you believe something is more likely if the arguments for it are harder to disprove, then they are for something else?

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:15:36 PM
At 3/16/2013 7:08:25 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Why?

So you believe something is more likely if the arguments for it are harder to disprove, then they are for something else?
They seem more likely to me, I obviously cannot calculate the chances.
And it's not a matter of whether or not it is harder to disprove, but whether it can be disproved. I'm still unsure about some arguments for God, yet I heard of none that prove bad-luck giving cats.

<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:19:54 PM
At 3/16/2013 7:15:36 PM, SarcasticIndeed wrote:
At 3/16/2013 7:08:25 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Why?

They seem more likely to me, I obviously cannot calculate the chances.
And it's not a matter of whether or not it is harder to disprove, but whether it can be disproved. I'm still unsure about some arguments for God, yet I heard of none that prove bad-luck giving cats.

Fair enough.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 8:56:05 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:05:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I like Plutarch's distinction between religion and superstition. It's BRILLIANT. I think it hits the nail on the head quite nicely. http://thriceholy.net...

Do you think prayer is superstitious?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 9:31:48 PM

What differentiates religion and superstition?

I know the answer but it would be bad luck to tell you.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 9:38:29 PM
At 3/16/2013 8:56:05 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 3/16/2013 5:05:58 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I like Plutarch's distinction between religion and superstition. It's BRILLIANT. I think it hits the nail on the head quite nicely. http://thriceholy.net...

Do you think prayer is superstitious?

Not in general, but I think specific instances of it can be (if we follow Plutarch's distinction).
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 9:25:57 AM
Superstition is a superposition of religion.

Maybe not, I just had to use those two words together.

Religion tends to be ideas about life, where as superstition can just be cause and effect.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!