Jump to topic:

Sincere question to Atheists

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 4:59:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When youre flying in an airplane, and say it just starts plummeting to earth and you think youre going to die in a matter of seconds.... What goes through your head?

I know that doesnt make sense so let me explain. When religious people think they are about to die, they usually call out to god or a holy being to help/save them.... What do Atheists do/say/think in the same situation?

'Oh science help me' ?
'please math get me out of here' ?
'statistical probability, i just wanna live' ?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
jh1234l
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:01:37 PM
At 3/16/2013 4:59:14 PM, imabench wrote:
When youre flying in an airplane, and say it just starts plummeting to earth and you think youre going to die in a matter of seconds.... What goes through your head?

I know that doesnt make sense so let me explain. When religious people think they are about to die, they usually call out to god or a holy being to help/save them.... What do Atheists do/say/think in the same situation?

'Oh science help me' ?

It doesn't matter. They all die anyways.
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
1 square right of Nelson Mandela, 2 squares down from Francois Hollande
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:05:38 PM
I think about all the good moments in my life, and feel glad I had the chance to experience them.

Then I pray to Charles Darwin and the theory of evolution.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:06:31 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:05:38 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I think about all the good moments in my life, and feel glad I had the chance to experience them.

howd i forget that one XD
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:07:59 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:06:31 PM, imabench wrote:
At 3/16/2013 5:05:38 PM, muzebreak wrote:

howd i forget that one XD

Because you're not a real atheist?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:27:04 PM
Actually, I swear by gods quite a bit, because I find it a useful manner of conveying frustration.

My thoughts, by the way, would be along the lines of 'Oh crap.'
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:28:08 PM

'Oh science help me' ?

Some variant of the first one. Although it would be more specific than 'oh science help me', more like 'please let there be a piece of technology built into this plane that will prevent it crashing and killing us all'
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:36:01 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:27:04 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
Actually, I swear by gods quite a bit, because I find it a useful manner of conveying frustration.

I do the same, though I have been teased by theists for it. I've seen Matt Dillahunty say things like "I swear to your god", which seems an interesting replacement.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:48:50 PM
I've almost died once before, and it was an odd mixture of abject terror and intensely introspective calm. I couldn't imagine wasting such precious and interesting time thinking about a theoretical deity the idea of which I find to be repulsive.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 5:58:54 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:48:50 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
I've almost died once before, and it was an odd mixture of abject terror and intensely introspective calm. I couldn't imagine wasting such precious and interesting time thinking about a theoretical deity the idea of which I find to be repulsive.

If we're talking about times we almost died, I was in Amsterdam last year and there's tons of tram wires there. Well, a crew were working on some, and I happened to be stopped at an intersection with the cables hanging above. Something went wrong, and the cables above me can swinging down, still electrified. If I had been a few inches closer, I would have been electrocuted. I preceded to scream like a girl for the next 5 minutes, till a dutch woman came up and told me to calm down. Not a single thought ran through my head, I just screamed.

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 6:06:26 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:58:54 PM, muzebreak wrote:

If we're talking about times we almost died, I was in Amsterdam last year and there's tons of tram wires there. Well, a crew were working on some, and I happened to be stopped at an intersection with the cables hanging above. Something went wrong, and the cables above me can swinging down, still electrified. If I had been a few inches closer, I would have been electrocuted. I preceded to scream like a girl for the next 5 minutes, till a dutch woman came up and told me to calm down. Not a single thought ran through my head, I just screamed.

Mine took place in a hospital bed, so it was a bit more low stress (as much as a near death experience can be), not a near miss like yours. I'm sure that if a bullet narrowly missed my head, or something else along those lines, I would be in shock as well.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 6:25:10 PM
At 3/16/2013 6:06:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Mine took place in a hospital bed, so it was a bit more low stress (as much as a near death experience can be), not a near miss like yours. I'm sure that if a bullet narrowly missed my head, or something else along those lines, I would be in shock as well.

Yeah, that was the stressful moment of my life.

SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 6:57:46 PM
At 3/16/2013 5:27:04 PM, Citrakayah wrote:
This. I try to keep it to a minimum, because it annoys me and makes me feel hypocritical.

<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:01:09 PM
At 3/16/2013 6:25:10 PM, muzebreak wrote:
At 3/16/2013 6:06:26 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Yeah, that was the most stressful moment of my life.

Fixed

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 7:05:19 PM
Instead of "please I hope Jesus saves me" I would prob think "I hope I don't die somehow". Or, I just would be scarred and think nothing. I might think about all the good people in my life. In a plane if I could think at all, I prob would locate the exits or something.

Question to theists: Seeing as how many theists die everyday (probably praying to be saved). Do you think God lets them die? Or would do anything to save you?
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 8:07:15 PM

'Oh science help me' ?

I would pray to the multi verse theory that states all things that are possible do happen. As such since its possible in a plane crash that I would survive or not, there is a universe where I do survive, as such I pray they I am in that one.

Also under the multi veres theory, there is a universe where earth is conquered by alien giant ants, I for one welcome our new insect overlords.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:28:03 PM
We just say oh sh!t.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:33:49 PM
I didn't mind non-existence, so I'm comfortable revisiting it once more.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:37:02 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:28:03 PM, phantom wrote:
We just say oh sh!t.

I was thinkin', "Oh f*cking sh!t, really? Well, alright..." and then have a heart attack before the plane touches down, but "oh sh!t works as well.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:41:45 PM
I definitely get the sense that the OP was hinting at atheists somehow being inferior to theists for not having an imaginary friend to complain to when death is imminent.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:45:20 PM
You know, I haven't been in many plummeting airplanes in my days.

Probably something stupid.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:53:56 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:41:45 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
I definitely get the sense that the OP was hinting at atheists somehow being inferior to theists for not having an imaginary friend to complain to when death is imminent.

No dumba**, it was actually an honest question

Go be stupid somewhere else now

dylancatlow
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:54:48 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:53:56 PM, imabench wrote:

"'Oh science help me' ?
'statistical probability, i just wanna live' ?"

Lol.... SUREEE.... ;)
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2013 11:59:24 PM
At 3/16/2013 11:55:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I just realized you were Christian though. lolwut. When did that happen?

This made me go look. Wtf is goin on bench. Atheism isn't something you just walk out on. Only way out is in a body bag.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 12:02:11 AM
At 3/16/2013 11:54:48 PM, dylancatlow wrote:
At 3/16/2013 11:53:56 PM, imabench wrote:

"'Oh science help me' ?
'statistical probability, i just wanna live' ?"

Lol.... SUREEE.... ;)

To the best of my knowledge, bench is an atheist. Though the change in his religious designation on his profile page may be the sign of a change of heart. But I doubt it.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 12:04:58 AM
At 3/16/2013 11:55:13 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I just realized you were Christian though. lolwut. When did that happen?

When was this not the case?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)