Jump to topic:

Atheists....

matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 4:54:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Could God be good despite your preconceived ideas? What are your favorite scriptures if any? Or what things interest you about the "Biblical God"?
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:12:10 PM
At 3/19/2013 4:54:56 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
Could God be good despite your preconceived ideas? What are your favorite scriptures if any? Or what things interest you about the "Biblical God"?
matt.mcguire88 by the wording of your post...You have preconceived ideas Atheists ">Believe<" god is NOT good! Looks as if all you want is conversation.

Me thinks, you would get better response if you reworded your post! But what do I know..

Dogknox
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:20:01 PM
I disagree that I have preconceived ideas. Off the top of my head, my favourite would goes along the lines of 'take the log out of your own eye, then you can talk about the stick in his'.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:23:55 PM
Could God be good despite your preconceived ideas?

I'm not sure how any preconceived ideas I have would limit god in any way?

What are your favorite scriptures if any?

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."
- Ezekiel

Perfect for the children!

Or what things interest you about the "Biblical God"?

He's not particularly interesting. If it weren't for the amount of people that believe he's real and wish to have their interpretation of his will codified in laws, we probably wouldn't be discussing him seriously.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:29:26 PM
I forgot to answer what interests me about him. The answer would be nothing. I don't find him interesting as a god or a literary character. The Greek gods, they are interesting. But the abrahamic one? He seems like an eight year old with army men and a magnifying glass.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:32:48 PM

Loaded question.

The one Drafter posted is a long time favorite.

Though yes, I'll be honest that the New Testament (and a little of the Old) has some good quotes. However Christians should also be honest, and admit the Bible has some wacko wtf sh!t in it.

The topic of his existence is interesting. It's fun arguing either side.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:47:24 PM

No man whose testicles have been crushed or whose organ has been cut off may become a member of the Assembly of God.

Deuteronomy 23:1
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:55:37 PM
I didn't have any favorite quotes from the bible when I came into this thread.

I do now.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:57:02 PM
At 3/19/2013 7:55:37 PM, Oryus wrote:
I didn't have any favorite quotes from the bible when I came into this thread.

I do now.

I regret not using a funny one.

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 7:57:23 PM
http://www.cracked.com...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Chase200mph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 8:57:52 PM

I"ve read the bible and God could never be considered good, the best example being that the god in the bible is so evil he had to claim several times that he was good and just because the bible doesn"t make these distinctions for him.

I mean here is an all knowing all powerful god that has to tell those that he created he is good. I am lord thy god, I am good and you will believe this in your thoughts or I will see that you don"t and I will torture you for all eternity!
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:49:56 PM
At 3/19/2013 7:12:10 PM, Dogknox wrote:
matt.mcguire88 by the wording of your post...You have preconceived ideas Atheists ">Believe<" god is NOT good! Looks as if all you want is conversation.

Me thinks, you would get better response if you reworded your post! But what do I know..

Dogknox

Lol yes Dogknox, in case you have not noticed Atheists do not believe that our God is good :(
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:52:26 PM
At 3/19/2013 7:20:01 PM, muzebreak wrote:
I disagree that I have preconceived ideas. Off the top of my head, my favourite would goes along the lines of 'take the log out of your own eye, then you can talk about the stick in his'.

I'm sorry, I like that one too :)
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:54:18 PM
At 3/19/2013 7:23:55 PM, drafterman wrote:

Wow, if you only knew....

"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."
- Ezekiel

Perfect for the children!

He's not particularly interesting. If it weren't for the amount of people that believe he's real and wish to have their interpretation of his will codified in laws, we probably wouldn't be discussing him seriously.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:56:13 PM
At 3/19/2013 7:32:48 PM, phantom wrote:

Loaded question.

The one Drafter posted is a long time favorite.

Though yes, I'll be honest that the New Testament (and a little of the Old) has some good quotes. However Christians should also be honest, and admit the Bible has some wacko wtf sh!t in it.

Lol! okay

The topic of his existence is interesting. It's fun arguing either side.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:59:17 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:32:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/19/2013 7:57:23 PM, phantom wrote:
http://www.cracked.com...

I find that the explanations are funnier than the verses.

It's mostly for the badassery though.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 10:51:37 PM
At 3/19/2013 8:57:52 PM, Chase200mph wrote:

I"ve read the bible and God could never be considered good, the best example being that the god in the bible is so evil he had to claim several times that he was good and just because the bible doesn"t make these distinctions for him.

I mean here is an all knowing all powerful god that has to tell those that he created he is good. I am lord thy god, I am good and you will believe this in your thoughts or I will see that you don"t and I will torture you for all eternity!

Haha, fortunately I don't have to listen to God "tell" me He is good, God shows me He is good. The reason why I know God is good is because of the fruit that He produces in my life. I don't say God is good because someone wrote it lol, it is because I know it.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 12:16:17 AM
At 3/19/2013 10:51:37 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Haha, fortunately I don't have to listen to God "tell" me He is good, God shows me He is good. The reason why I know God is good is because of the fruit that He produces in my life. I don't say God is good because someone wrote it lol, it is because I know it.

Okay, and what of the billions around the world who have suffered and are suffering miserably? It strikes me as mildly disgusting to use your fruitful life as evidence for God's goodness when there are kids starving, suffering, being raped and killed every single day while you thank God for your good life. If they were to apply your standard, those people should be able to say God is a horrible evil being.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 7:19:11 AM
At 3/19/2013 9:54:18 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Maybe you could tell me.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 7:30:42 AM

You know nothing of the kind!

Show me why it isn't actually due to the following -

1. Susan The Alien & her 12 Sisters?

2. Your Satan the naughty angel masquerading as an ' angel of light? '.

3. Your imagination?

4. Your medication?

5. Other reason(s)?

Your vindicated mentor, 50 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 7:40:34 AM

" From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. "Get out of here, baldy!" they said. "Get out of here, baldy!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

http://www.biblegateway.com...

Think that answers the first two questions.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 12:03:51 PM
At 3/20/2013 7:40:34 AM, Kinesis wrote:

" From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. "Get out of here, baldy!" they said. "Get out of here, baldy!" 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

http://www.biblegateway.com...

Think that answers the first two questions.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com...
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 2:59:25 PM
matt.mcguire88 you said.. Lol yes Dogknox, in case you have not noticed Atheists do not believe that our God is good :(
I respectfully reply: They do not believe there is a GOD! So being good or bad is MOOT!

Dogknox
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 4:30:35 PM
At 3/20/2013 12:16:17 AM, phantom wrote:

Okay, and what of the billions around the world who have suffered and are suffering miserably? It strikes me as mildly disgusting to use your fruitful life as evidence for God's goodness when there are kids starving, suffering, being raped and killed every single day while you thank God for your good life. If they were to apply your standard, those people should be able to say God is a horrible evil being.

Wow, this is what happens when someone asserts and assumes. The reason why I would know that God is good is partly due to the fact that my own life has been so bad lol. Certainly not the worst, but by no means the best. My life has been anything but easy or carefree, I've had to trust and believe God to get where I am, period. I've had to apply the Word of God to my own life and my own cicumstances to get what God says I can have and be. When I give credit to God why would that be considered "disgusting"???? I find it much more disgusting having nothing good or anything to say about God at all. Why would I bother sharing about God if I didn't believe that He is good?

I do not live my life by hypotheticals, I can only control and judge according to my ownself and my own life. And when I share something with someone about God it is for the other persons benefit, not for me to brag or boast. I believe that the truth can be applied to anyone and any circumstance, sorry to offend you so deeply here that was not my intention.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 4:45:27 PM
At 3/20/2013 7:19:11 AM, drafterman wrote:

Maybe you could tell me.

Thoughts are the beginning of every action, every belief and what a person stands for and becomes. For that reason God knows that your thoughts and what is in your mind is extremely important, and this has been a challenge for me in my own life. Your "ideas" about God will effect the way you perceive God which will decide how you feel towards God and how you relate to Him. Our thoughts and our mind is important to God Romans 12:2 Ephesians 4:23,24
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:09:03 PM
At 3/20/2013 7:19:11 AM, drafterman wrote:

Maybe you could tell me.

It wouldn't limit God, it would only limit God in your own life and within yourself.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:53:56 PM
At 3/20/2013 4:30:35 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
At 3/20/2013 12:16:17 AM, phantom wrote:

Wow, this is what happens when someone asserts and assumes. The reason why I would know that God is good is partly due to the fact that my own life has been so bad lol. Certainly not the worst, but by no means the best. My life has been anything but easy or carefree, I've had to trust and believe God to get where I am, period. I've had to apply the Word of God to my own life and my own cicumstances to get what God says I can have and be. When I give credit to God why would that be considered "disgusting"???? I find it much more disgusting having nothing good or anything to say about God at all.

So the reason you think God's good is because your life sucks but God does good things for you...I don't think it's disgusting to give credit to God. My point was that you use your own life for evidence that God is good. However, billions of people have/had much worse lives and no chance of any relationship with God. Many people are driven away from believing in God due to experiences like the holocaust. Does God just abandon them or something in their most time of need? Point is, your reasons for believing God good are poor because many others could use the same standards to judge him bad.

Why would I bother sharing about God if I didn't believe that He is good?

Um. Idk

I do not live my life by hypotheticals, I can only control and judge according to my ownself and my own life. And when I share something with someone about God it is for the other persons benefit, not for me to brag or boast. I believe that the truth can be applied to anyone and any circumstance, sorry to offend you so deeply here that was not my intention.

I'm not offended.
Chase200mph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 5:55:18 PM

Haha, fortunately I don't have to listen to God "tell" me He is good, God shows me He is good.
Answer: I see, so personal experience is all that matters then"so Adolf Hitler was right because your god showed him as well, the Church was right when they commissioned extermination of 500 nations in the Americas, the KKK is right and so on"

The reason why I know God is good is because of the fruit that He produces in my life.

Answer: I see, so you stand on the corpses of millions because he likes you and didn"t murder your bothers and sisters so he good as well".

I don't say God is good because someone wrote it lol, it is because I know it.

Answer: ".but you cannot list one rational reason why he is good now can you. You certainly have never read the bible or you would never make such absurd claims! The bible contains approximately 1127 justifications and or direction to commit evil acts and only mentions love some 224 times"getting many of those times wrong. I didn"t ask if you could repeat the mindless brainwashing that you received in church, I asked how come a god needs to tell his followers he is good!
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.
Chase200mph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2013 6:00:28 PM
So god rapes a 12 year old girl, before she can marry an old man, so he can give birth to himself and commit suicide and forgive us the sins he created and caused Adam and Eve to commit"..yup, sure sounds like a good god to me.