banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 4:18:08 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Are we admiting shamans are right?
Copied from google news :

VATICAN CITY — E.T. phone Rome. Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the center of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church."The questions of life's origins and of whether life exists elsewhere in the universe are very suitable and deserve serious consideration," said the Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and director of the Vatican Observatory.Funes, a Jesuit priest, presented the results Tuesday of a five-day conference that gathered astronomers, physicists, biologists and other experts to discuss the budding field of astrobiology — the study of the origin of life and its existence elsewhere in the cosmos.Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue.
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 4:35:57 AM
Of course we're not alone on the planet. We have things like cows and goats around.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 1:07:53 PM
Puck your great as usual I like your humor

I wonder if new age will effect others as well
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
MistahKurtz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 2:38:38 PM
Naw, I think new age will just kind leave everyone alone. I mean, people are pretty busy, they don't have time for things like new age.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 5:13:59 PM
New Age belief is just another outgrowth of middle class suburban kids who can afford to have a teenage rebellion identity crises because of their parents' neglect (due to the fact that both of them work good jobs full time).

It's their inherent, whiny, unjustified need to show that they are special or different, even though they're really not.

Similar symptoms of the disorder include pretending to subscribe to Wicca.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 5:38:06 PM
At 11/11/2009 5:13:59 PM, Kleptin wrote:
New Age belief is just another outgrowth of middle class suburban kids who can afford to have a teenage rebellion identity crises because of their parents' neglect (due to the fact that both of them work good jobs full time).

That's entirely not true. New Age is a mix of the ancient Mystery Schools, Eastern Philosophy, alien channelings, and holistic health. Technically, New Age beliefs predate every religion. The ancient Mystery Schools were the esoteric teachings and connected to all the ancient Sumerian, Egyptian, and Hindu religions. The people who are believed to have started the modern New Age Movement, are Occultist Helena Blavatsky and psychic, Edgar Cayce.

I would also suggest, there are many truths within the New Age movement, the problem is that's it's just another belief system.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 8:43:18 PM
At 11/11/2009 5:38:06 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/11/2009 5:13:59 PM, Kleptin wrote:

That's entirely not true. New Age is a mix of the ancient Mystery Schools, Eastern Philosophy, alien channelings, and holistic health. Technically, New Age beliefs predate every religion. The ancient Mystery Schools were the esoteric teachings and connected to all the ancient Sumerian, Egyptian, and Hindu religions. The people who are believed to have started the modern New Age Movement, are Occultist Helena Blavatsky and psychic, Edgar Cayce.

I would also suggest, there are many truths within the New Age movement, the problem is that's it's just another belief system.

Replace "New Age belief" with "The current trend of New Age Belief" then :P

As for all the mixing, I find that to be the most unoriginal form of attempting to fashion originality. Instead of playing mix and match, which any 4-year old can do, why not explore new fields of thinking?

Holistic Health has an actual medical term. It's called "The Placebo effect", and it furthers my point about people acting like sheep. Alien channeling? Same thing. Most people who delve into all the alien junk and any other sort of conspiracy theory are actually filling a psychological gap in their lives. That's why people like GodSands believe in aliens AND Christianity, but that's an extreme case.

If you buy into non-mainstream propaganda without your own first-hand experience, you are either fulfilling that psychological need to be a "rebel" or to be "special", or you're just gullible.

We're all guilty of both the former and the latter to some extent, but for those of us who live our lives according to those beliefs? These people have issues.

omelet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 9:46:44 PM
At 11/11/2009 4:18:08 AM, banker wrote:
Are we admiting shamans are right?
Copied from google news :

VATICAN CITY — E.T. phone Rome. Four hundred years after it locked up Galileo for challenging the view that the Earth was the center of the universe, the Vatican has called in experts to study the possibility of extraterrestrial alien life and its implication for the Catholic Church."The questions of life's origins and of whether life exists elsewhere in the universe are very suitable and deserve serious consideration," said the Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, an astronomer and director of the Vatican Observatory.Funes, a Jesuit priest, presented the results Tuesday of a five-day conference that gathered astronomers, physicists, biologists and other experts to discuss the budding field of astrobiology — the study of the origin of life and its existence elsewhere in the cosmos.Funes said the possibility of alien life raises "many philosophical and theological implications" but added that the gathering was mainly focused on the scientific perspective and how different disciplines can be used to explore the issue.

None of that even mentions aliens on earth, or the possibility thereof. That news article is about the possibility of other forms of life existing in the universe and what implications that would have on certain religious beliefs. If you're using this article to warrant a belief that aliens exist on earth, you're doing it wrong.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2009 9:49:42 PM
I'm not so sure about on earth, but there has to be more life somewhere in the universe. It seems pretty silly that in how massive the universe is that we would be the only life inhabiting it. Whether these other life forms are more advanced or less advanced we really have no way of knowing.