Jump to topic:

Evidence

My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 10:56:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Does anyone have any evidence for the existence of God or is it all supposed to be a spiritual world which we cannot observe except with a faithful spirit?
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 11:08:05 PM
At 3/27/2013 10:56:26 PM, My-Self wrote:
Does anyone have any evidence for the existence of God or is it all supposed to be a spiritual world which we cannot observe except with a faithful spirit?

Something makes me think this is actually a rhetorical question.. .
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 11:18:25 PM
No, it's a real question. I'm wondering whether there can be hard evidence or observation that proves God's existence. The only other possibilities I can think of are: (1) he may exist, but hasn't chosen to reveal himself/herself to us yet, (2) he can be viewed, but only in a spiritual realm where science and reason don't function, and (3) he exists in our minds as a concept.
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 12:01:36 AM
I think the Argument from Miracles is the closest you'll get to an empirically-based argument for God's existence.

All the others, while some rest on empirical premises, are usually discussed philosophically rather than scrutinized empirically.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Dogknox
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:01:26 AM

There are MIRACLES for example Lourdes in France!
For over one hundred years people have been healed!
ALL the healing is credited to GOD!

There is PROPHESY from scriptures.
You can't predicts a thing.. never mind the many many predictions found in the scriptures to have come true!
There is EVIL found in the world... We need little to prove it is around thus we need very little to prove the good God does!

There is science that cannot prove, there is NO God! Fact is more and more men are coming to think there must be an intelligent designer!!

The FACT man needs faith, proves a GOD could not have thought it out better!
All GOOD things require faith... Resurrecting from the dead is a good example, it requires faith!

AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 3:09:21 AM
At 3/27/2013 11:18:25 PM, My-Self wrote:
No, it's a real question. I'm wondering whether there can be hard evidence or observation that proves God's existence. The only other possibilities I can think of are: (1) he may exist, but hasn't chosen to reveal himself/herself to us yet, (2) he can be viewed, but only in a spiritual realm where science and reason don't function, and (3) he exists in our minds as a concept.

Hard as in a brick?
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 4:57:28 AM

The evidence is internal my friend, not external. If it were then we could examine God as a physical object. Although I'm sure there are many believers who consider God's creation satisfying evidence, that's fine.
Unfortunately, the atheist community as well as others have built great barriers for themselves in discovering God by demanding that some evidence of a God meet the standards of the scientific method. Understandable, but dumb lol.
Fortunately internal evidence in my opinion, is much more sastifying and intimate, which is a GOOD thing. It is a good thing because as a free thinker we can examine and learn from God ourselves not from someone else or their opinions. Each of us require different complicated levels of satifaction and God can meet those individually rather than collectively. How?........
God communicates within our spirit 1 Corinthians 2:10-14 and Romans 8:11, 14-16

Our "spirit" can observe, discern and receive from God, there is no other way.
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:56:33 PM
At 3/28/2013 4:57:28 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

The evidence is internal my friend, not external. If it were then we could examine God as a physical object. Although I'm sure there are many believers who consider God's creation satisfying evidence, that's fine.
Unfortunately, the atheist community as well as others have built great barriers for themselves in discovering God by demanding that some evidence of a God meet the standards of the scientific method. Understandable, but dumb lol.
Fortunately internal evidence in my opinion, is much more sastifying and intimate, which is a GOOD thing. It is a good thing because as a free thinker we can examine and learn from God ourselves not from someone else or their opinions. Each of us require different complicated levels of satifaction and God can meet those individually rather than collectively. How?........
God communicates within our spirit 1 Corinthians 2:10-14 and Romans 8:11, 14-16

Our "spirit" can observe, discern and receive from God, there is no other way.

Most of the top Christian philosophers subscribe to the idea by Pascal that "The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of... We know the truth not only by the reason, but by the heart."
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 1:57:44 PM
At 3/28/2013 1:01:26 AM, Dogknox wrote:

Have amputees been healed on video?
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 3:53:26 PM
I guess evidence isn't too popular with this crowd
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 3:59:03 PM
At 3/28/2013 1:57:44 PM, My-Self wrote:
At 3/28/2013 1:01:26 AM, Dogknox wrote:

Have amputees been healed on video?

Funny you should ask.

http://www.debate.org...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
kenballer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:29:51 PM

Indirect evidence? YES Direct evidence? not so much
Founder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 3:06:31 PM

I suggest reading 'The Ultimate Proof of Creation' by Jason Lisle PhD. The book discusses the irrefutable proof for the existence of God.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 3:11:46 PM
I think all of the arguments for God's existence are philosophical, but some of the premises in some of the arguments are based on empirical evidence. For example, this book attempts to give evidence for God based on modern physics:

http://www.amazon.com...
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle