Jump to topic:

Morality, Stealing, and Robin Hood

autodidact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 4:54:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In 2 debates I am currently in 2 debates. Pros has suggested in both cases that morality comes from God and the evidence is that people agree that killing stealing and lying are wrong.

Now when faced with such a question my answer is it depends on the situation. i can think of cases where killing lying and stealing are each justified and considered the moral action. One such case is Robin Hood.

If stealing is objectively wrong then why is Robin Hood seen as a hero?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 5:11:17 PM
At 3/29/2013 4:54:45 PM, autodidact wrote:
In 2 debates I am currently in 2 debates. Pros has suggested in both cases that morality comes from God and the evidence is that people agree that killing stealing and lying are wrong.

Now when faced with such a question my answer is it depends on the situation. i can think of cases where killing lying and stealing are each justified and considered the moral action. One such case is Robin Hood.

It would partly depend on the standards of the person answering the question. I think the tale makes for a good movie but that's about it. If he stole then he is a theif. Jesus produced results without cheating or stealing to me that is a hero.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 5:14:37 PM
At 3/29/2013 5:11:17 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

It would partly depend on the standards of the person answering the question. I think the tale makes for a good movie but that's about it. If he stole then he is a theif. Jesus produced results without cheating or stealing to me that is a hero.

Jesus had god like powers, supposedly. Don't you think you're being a little unfair? Lets say jesus was in the position of robin hood, that is in Sherwood with no powers, what do you think he would do?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 6:48:13 PM
At 3/29/2013 5:14:37 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Jesus had god like powers, supposedly. Don't you think you're being a little unfair? Lets say jesus was in the position of robin hood, that is in Sherwood with no powers, what do you think he would do?

If Robin Hood had faith the size of a mustard seed he would have had powers too..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 6:59:56 PM

Robbin hood was originally the Earl of locksley, until he killed one of the king's deer. After losing his title and lands he began stealing from the state, and giving to the poor. In many Robbin Hood stories the poor were poor because the state overtaxed them; this is why the king is often portrayed as King John. King John overtaxed the nobles, forcing them to raise taxes on their subjects. Eventually the nobles revolted against king John forcing him to sign the Magna Carta.

Robbin hood was not a folk hero for stealing, he was a folk hero for returning taxes to the overtaxed.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 7:00:24 PM
At 3/29/2013 6:48:13 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

If Robin Hood had faith the size of a mustard seed he would have had powers too..

That would go perfectly with Jesus' bread making powers. Huh? Huh? I'm kind of bored.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 7:01:02 PM

Robin Hood was a dirty thief and should have been tried as such.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 7:57:06 PM
Jesus produced results without cheating or stealing to me that is a hero.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 7:58:45 PM
At 3/29/2013 6:59:56 PM, DanT wrote:

Robbin hood was not a folk hero for stealing, he was a folk hero for returning taxes to the overtaxed.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:30:52 PM

I don't know what that means.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:40:25 PM
At 3/29/2013 8:30:52 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Matt. 17:20
20 He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you."
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
autodidact
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:16:33 PM
At 3/29/2013 8:40:25 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

20 He said to them, "Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you."

Yet the man noted as saying that could not make a fig tree bear fruit out of season... but was mad at the tree because it did not have fruit OUT OF SEASON....
so he kills it for not doing what it was incapable of doing.... that is just like the Adam and Eve story....
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:32:27 PM

Where are your powers then?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:33:59 PM
At 3/29/2013 7:01:02 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Robin Hood was a dirty thief and should have been tried as such.

Robin Hood was returning stolen property to its rightful owners. Initially, I fond it strange that you are condemning him for doing this and not the elite for stealing the peasants' property, but then I remembered that you support theft as long as it helps the rich.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:11:47 PM

Jesus also committed assault and battery, don't forget though (The Moneychangers in the Temple).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:22:25 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:55:10 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Really, the entire existence of Ma'at is unjust because it harms Apep, the uncreated being who preceded it.

Apep is the deification of darkness and chaos. Are you a worshiper of Apep? That would be rather unique.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:40:11 PM
At 3/29/2013 10:22:25 PM, DanT wrote:
At 3/29/2013 9:55:10 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Really, the entire existence of Ma'at is unjust because it harms Apep, the uncreated being who preceded it.

Apep is the deification of darkness and chaos.
He's a being of chaos, yes, but so is Nun. What's the difference, other than that Nun doesn't interfere in the world and that Apep attacks Ra because the existence of Ma'at harms him?
Are you a worshiper of Apep? That would be rather unique.
No
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:35:56 AM

LOL! Now you're gettin it :D
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:42:50 AM

Of course not unfair lol. Jesus was not just a God, but an example and our potential rests within God. Remenber when Jesus had nothing in the wilderness? He was tempted to disobey God to produce results, but He didn't and He went on to do incredible things.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:48:06 AM
At 3/29/2013 10:11:47 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Jesus also committed assault and battery, don't forget though (The Moneychangers in the Temple).

I didn't blame Hood for "assault and battery" it was for stealing lol jk
suttichart.denpruektham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:52:09 AM
unfortunately I don't believe in god, and I don't believe stealing, murdering, and lying is wrong in its very act and not the action behind.

I believe stealing, murdering, and lying is generally considered wrong because it disrupt the process of social administration. In other word, it is the act of defiance and so is generally prohibited by those in power who can influence the law. Overtime when people used to it, they assumed it as moral and forgot the reason behind.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:48:51 AM

I thought I was reasonably clear, but I will clarify further. I don't understand how a state of mind can have a size.

Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:49:20 AM
At 3/30/2013 4:42:50 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:
Remenber when Jesus had nothing in the wilderness? He was tempted to disobey God to produce results, but He didn't and He went on to do incredible things.

Story book Mark 1:13 RSV Satanic catholic Cult Story book 1966 edition states that jebus was alone in the wilderness apart from wild-beasts and ministered by angels?

So where were the supposed ' eye-witnesses ' hiding in the wilderness that supposedly recorded this alleged encounter? LOL!

Your vindicated mentor, 50 year successful Cult busting personal successful literal Saviour, moi!
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 10:40:11 AM
At 3/30/2013 5:48:51 AM, muzebreak wrote:

I thought I was reasonably clear, but I will clarify further. I don't understand how a state of mind can have a size.

Biblical faith is not just a hollow concept or a state of mind. It is a "substance" and it's more of a state of belief or trust to get from point A to point B whatever that may be. Faith is used to "trust" God for a certain result. According to Jesus, we can possess "little faith" or great faith, depends upon the individual Matthew 9:29, 8:26. Me and you could both know the same person for example, but we both could possess different levels of trust for that individual. Read Hebrews 11 if you get bored.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 2:02:25 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:16:33 PM, autodidact wrote:

Yet the man noted as saying that could not make a fig tree bear fruit out of season... but was mad at the tree because it did not have fruit OUT OF SEASON....
so he kills it for not doing what it was incapable of doing.... that is just like the Adam and Eve story....

Huh?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 2:03:07 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:32:27 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Where are your powers then?

lol, I don't have faith that size either...
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 2:04:33 PM

It doesn't. Hes saying our faith is pathetically weak.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:22:02 PM
At 3/30/2013 10:40:11 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Biblical faith is not just a hollow concept or a state of mind. It is a "substance" and it's more of a state of belief or trust to get from point A to point B whatever that may be. Faith is used to "trust" God for a certain result. According to Jesus, we can possess "little faith" or great faith, depends upon the individual Matthew 9:29, 8:26. Me and you could both know the same person for example, but we both could possess different levels of trust for that individual. Read Hebrews 11 if you get bored.

Sure, if you mean it depends on how much faith God grants the individual, and not how much faith the individual manages to muster up.

Romans 12:3
3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 6:00:03 PM
At 3/30/2013 10:40:11 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Ok, if faith is a 'substance', then how does one measure it? Can I take faith, and put it in a measuring cup? Or take a tape measure, and find the length of it? Or can I put it on a scale and measure it?