Jump to topic:

One of many Egyptian creation myths

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 6:35:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Egyptians had many creation myths; here is one of them.

Before the world was formed, there was a watery mass of dark, directionless chaos. This chaos was called Nun. Nun was a personified as Nun-Ptah, who was an aspect of the creator god Ptah.
The waters of Nun receded, revealing Ptah-Tatenen, the primordial mound. From the primordial mound grew a lotus flower. When the lotus bloomed a scarab emerged from the flower. The scarab was personified as Khepri, the god of the rising sun. Khepri was an aspect of Ra, the god of the midday sun. The lotus was personified as nefertem, the son of Ptah-nun and Ptah-nunet. Nefertem wept, because he was alone, and his tears became the first humans. When nefertem grew up, he became Atem, the god of the evening sun.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Eitan_Zohar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:25:15 PM
Please please please make more threads like these.
"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book."
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:56:16 PM
I love it when creation myths employ vivid imagery like this. My favorite has always been the Shinto one.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:05:25 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:31:06 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
How do you know that this is the correct story? The narrator (Ra) is not to be trusted.

Again it's one of many stories. The Egyptians have many variations of creation. Some are similar, others widely differ.
My-Self
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:44:55 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:55:55 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
The entire existence of Ma'at is unjust because it harms Apep, the uncreated being who preceded it.

Exactly what I was thinking!
"Genesis could be compatible with anything. Theologians are great at mental gymnastics." ~ phantom
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:49:09 PM
Is the strange mirroring of the posts from here on the morality/stealing/robin hood forum post purposeful?

http://www.debate.org...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 11:12:22 PM
The entire existence of Ma'at is unjust because it harms Apep, the uncreated being who preceded it.

So you would prefer to live in a world of darkness and chaos? Interesting.

This reminds me of another Egyptian Creation myth.

Before the world was formed, there was a watery mass of dark, directionless chaos. The primordial waters were personified as the frog-god Nun and the snake-goddess Nunet. The darkness was personified as the frog-god Kuk, and the snake-goddess Kauket. The wind was personified as the frog-god Amun, and the snake-goddess Amunet. The infinite space was personified as the frog-god Huh and the snake-goddess Hauhet. The chaos was ruled by a 48 ft serpent, named Apep.

In the form of a cosmic ibis, the Moon-God Thoth laid an egg. When the cosmic egg hatched the sun-god Ra was born. Ra launched a coup against Apep; by defeating Apep, Ra brought light to world, and upheld truth and order of Ma'at.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:55:33 AM
At 3/29/2013 11:12:22 PM, DanT wrote:

So you would prefer to live in a world of darkness and chaos? Interesting.

This reminds me of another Egyptian Creation myth.

Before the world was formed, there was a watery mass of dark, directionless chaos. The primordial waters were personified as the frog-god Nun and the snake-goddess Nunet. The darkness was personified as the frog-god Kuk, and the snake-goddess Kauket. The wind was personified as the frog-god Amun, and the snake-goddess Amunet. The infinite space was personified as the frog-god Huh and the snake-goddess Hauhet. The chaos was ruled by a 48 ft serpent, named Apep.

In the form of a cosmic ibis, the Moon-God Thoth laid an egg. When the cosmic egg hatched the sun-god Ra was born. Ra launched a coup against Apep; by defeating Apep, Ra brought light to world, and upheld truth and order of Ma'at.

I wouldn't prefer to do anything. I'm just pointing out an obvious flaw in the entire mythology.