Which Atheist are you?

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 8:59:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Definition of ATHEISM

Disbelief in the existence of deity. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods. The act of disbelieving, mental rejection of something as untrue. Inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real. Refusal or reluctance to believe. The act or an instance of refusing. To indicate unwillingness. Lack of ability or means. An insufficiency, shortage, or absence of something required or desired. Something that is required but is absent or in short supply.

The Lack or refusal of the belief in a deity or God.

Which atheist are you, To Lack or To Refuse?
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:06:47 PM
"Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities."

I refuse and lack belief in all 2870 Gods. However, I am considering believing in the Spaghetti Monster, The Sun God and the God of Wine. What kind of atheist are you. How many of the 2870 God do you lack and refuse to believe in?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:17:40 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:06:47 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
"Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities."

I refuse and lack belief in all 2870 Gods.:
Refusing is understandable but what's lacking in 2870 recorded Gods?
However, I am considering believing in the Spaghetti Monster,:
What evidence is there for the speghetti monster over others?
The Sun God and the God of Wine. What kind of atheist are you. How many of the 2870 God do you lack and refuse to believe in?:
All but 1.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:20:48 PM

Evidence is lacking in all of them

Personal Revelation and Divine Feeling

All but 1.

Cool, so we pretty much have the same beliefs. I an atheist to 2870 Gods and you are to 2869.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:27:53 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:20:48 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Evidence is lacking in all of them:
What evidence is optimal?

Personal Revelation and Divine Feeling:
Good for you, what kinda revelation?

All but 1.

Cool, so we pretty much have the same beliefs. I an atheist to 2870 Gods and you are to 2869.:
Not actually, false interpretation. Theism is in opposition of atheism. But you contradict yourself by your silly comments. You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing. Not to mention you say your a atheist but believe in supernatural beings.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 9:59:28 PM
Scientific Evidence

Good for you, what kinda revelation?

For example, I feel "good/pleasant" when I see or am in the sun. I also feel "good/pleasant" when I drink wine. I feel the FSM, when reading the book of the FSM and there have been many FSM sightings.

All but 1.

Cool, so we pretty much have the same beliefs. I an atheist to 2870 Gods and you are to 2869.:
Not actually, false interpretation. Theism is in opposition of atheism. But you contradict yourself by your silly comments. You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing. Not to mention you say your a atheist but believe in supernatural beings.

No I do not believe in them, I do not believe for this very reason. I said I believe in zero. I realize that people have divine feelings for many Gods yet. There is no way to tell which feeling is true so i realize my feelings are probably false.

Now I am accusing you of the same thing you accused me of. "You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing."

Can you defend yourself or are you a hypocrite?
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:17:51 PM
At 3/29/2013 9:59:28 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Scientific Evidence:
What kind of scientific evidence?

For example, I feel "good/pleasant" when I see or am in the sun. I also feel "good/pleasant" when I drink wine. I feel the FSM, when reading the book of the FSM and there have been many FSM sightings.:

All but 1.

No I do not believe in them, I do not believe for this very reason. I said I believe in zero. I realize that people have divine feelings for many Gods yet. There is no way to tell which feeling is true so i realize my feelings are probably false.

Now I am accusing you of the same thing you accused me of. "You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing.":
I dont reject it at all. I question your God is my God.

Can you defend yourself or are you a hypocrite?:
I always will defend myself.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 8:23:41 AM

Now I am accusing you of the same thing you accused me of. "You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing.":

But the FSM, Allah, Zeus, Thor, Hindu God, Jainist God ect are not your Christian God. You believe your divine feelings yet reject others. So again I am accusing you of what you accused me of. ""You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing.""

Then please try again.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 9:37:54 AM
At 3/30/2013 8:23:41 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

But the FSM, Allah, Zeus, Thor, Hindu God, Jainist God ect are not your Christian God. You believe your divine feelings yet reject others. So again I am accusing you of what you accused me of. ""You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing."":
I have ignored no such thing. You make assumptions, alot of them. False Gods doesn't mean they are not real, just that they were created and not the creator.

Then please try again.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 10:13:01 AM
At 3/30/2013 9:37:54 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/30/2013 8:23:41 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

But the FSM, Allah, Zeus, Thor, Hindu God, Jainist God ect are not your Christian God. You believe your divine feelings yet reject others. So again I am accusing you of what you accused me of. ""You believe in supernatural beings by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing."":

I have ignored no such thing. You make assumptions, alot of them. False Gods doesn't mean they are not real, just that they were created and not the creator.

So you agree that your God may not be real and may be created not the creator? Otherwise you would "believing in your God to be the creator by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing"
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 10:27:29 AM
At 3/29/2013 8:59:00 PM, Pennington wrote:
Definition of ATHEISM

Disbelief in the existence of deity.

That's me. I don't believe that gods exist, and I also believe that gods don't exist, so I qualify as a disbeliever according to both definitions of "disbelieve."

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

As I said above, I disbelieve. Do I deny? I hadda look it up. Yes, I say that god isn't true.

The act of disbelieving, mental rejection of something as untrue.

As established above, I disbelieve.

Inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real.

I don't refuse to believe. I wanted to believe for years. I was eager to learn the evidence or reasoning that would let me distinguish the bible from Mother Goose. Eventually, I went to the library and read the cosmological, teleological, and ontological arguments for myself. They were stupid. At that point, I realized that I shouldn't expect to come across a good justification for believing in god. But I didn't refuse. I just wasn't given a reasonable reason to believe.

Refusal or reluctance to believe.

Not me.

The act or an instance of refusing.

Nope.

To indicate unwillingness.

No.

Lack of ability or means.

I can believe anything that can be reasonably believed.

An insufficiency, shortage, or absence of something required or desired. Something that is required but is absent or in short supply.

Christianity has an insufficiency, shortage, and absence of the logical justification that is required for belief by reasonable people. The shortfall is not on my side.

Not refusal. And, if we're defining "lack" as not having something that we should have, then I don't lack belief. Theism lacks an intelligent warrant for belief.

I'm a reasonable atheist, the kind that thinks that if theists had legitimate arguments for their beliefs, they would present them. They wouldn't be fielding stupid arguments if they had good arguments. By inference, then, there are no good reasons for believing in gods.

As an example, you can look at your OP in this thread. If you had good news for us, an actual reason to believe, you'd be sharing that good news, not just insulting us for failing to believe in your favored mythology.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 10:30:15 AM
At 3/30/2013 10:13:01 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

So you agree that your God may not be real and may be created not the creator? Otherwise you would "believing in your God to be the creator by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing":
Nope I dont. I also do not reject that people believe in theirs.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 10:37:51 AM
At 3/30/2013 10:27:29 AM, wiploc wrote:

I don't refuse to believe. I wanted to believe for years. I was eager to learn the evidence or reasoning that would let me distinguish the bible from Mother Goose. Eventually, I went to the library and read the cosmological, teleological, and ontological arguments for myself. They were stupid. At that point, I realized that I shouldn't expect to come across a good justification for believing in god. But I didn't refuse. I just wasn't given a reasonable reason to believe.:
If those kinda arguments are what determined if you believed or not then you had deep seeded doubts to begin with. That sounds ridicoulous.
Lack of ability or means.

I can believe anything that can be reasonably believed. :
HaHa.

An insufficiency, shortage, or absence of something required or desired. Something that is required but is absent or in short supply.

Christianity has an insufficiency, shortage, and absence of the logical justification that is required for belief by reasonable people. The shortfall is not on my side.:
HaHa. Thats funny and you actually believe it, poor soul.

Not refusal. And, if we're defining "lack" as not having something that we should have, then I don't lack belief. Theism lacks an intelligent warrant for belief.:
Or maybe your judgmental skills are lacking.

I'm a reasonable atheist, the kind that thinks that if theists had legitimate arguments for their beliefs, they would present them. They wouldn't be fielding stupid arguments if they had good arguments. By inference, then, there are no good reasons for believing in gods.:
No your stuck in your hands, eyes, mouth and nose. You can not go no further than that. Your the one lost not the theist.

As an example, you can look at your OP in this thread. If you had good news for us, an actual reason to believe, you'd be sharing that good news, not just insulting us for failing to believe in your favored mythology.:
No, lets really look at this. I gave the exzact definition of your non-belief and determined it was one of two sides. Refusal or lacking, One is self caused purposefully and the other is legitmately a reason not to believe. No insult, you feel that way.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 10:47:31 AM
At 3/30/2013 10:37:51 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/30/2013 10:27:29 AM, wiploc wrote:

I'm a reasonable atheist, the kind that thinks that if theists had legitimate arguments for their beliefs, they would present them. They wouldn't be fielding stupid arguments if they had good arguments. By inference, then, there are no good reasons for believing in gods.:
No your stuck in your hands, eyes, mouth and nose. You can not go no further than that. Your the one lost not the theist.

That does not actually address his point. To just claim "well, you aren't seeing my great argument", but never presenting it, is intellectually dishonest. If you don't know where you are, but you say it's Albuquerque because you "feel" it to be true, then you are the one lost, despite your certainty that you are not, particularly if you're actually in Palo Alto.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:54:32 AM
Ignostic atheist.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:48:30 PM

See, that's the best argument you've got or you would have used something better. There is no logical reason to be a theist.
Citrakayah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:48:52 PM
Lack. As in I have pretty much nil capacity for faith. I have capacity for hope, though I don't find the Christian deity particularly worthy of hoping that he exists. I prefer the pagan gods, thank you very much, even if I don't believe in them.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:56:09 PM
denial is not word that fits in there obviously the person who wrote that definition was a theist of some sorts
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:04:49 PM
At 3/30/2013 12:56:09 PM, cybertron1998 wrote:
denial is not word that fits in there obviously the person who wrote that definition was a theist of some sorts:

That is many definitions, maybe you should read up on it.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:07:55 PM
At 3/30/2013 12:48:30 PM, wiploc wrote:

See, that's the best argument you've got or you would have used something better. There is no logical reason to be a theist.:

No, the greatest argument is your minority and the majority of theist. The well documented theist argument. Buy, hey, thats useless to you. There is plenty of evidence and you dang well there is. If you dont then you need to put your face inside some books. You refuse and that is the plain fact and there is nothing no one can do for you in that case.
Chase200mph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:38:59 PM
Posted: 15 hours ago

Definition of ATHEISM

Disbelief in the existence of deity.

Answer: Well, not really, atheism is a misnomer. An atheist doesn"t see a reason to believe, it is not a practice really although you can belong to a group of atheists and you can do things that are atheistic in nature. Just being an atheist doesn"t make one a follower of atheism as non-beliefs is not supportive of the nonsmoker not smoking because he/she is in denial of the smoke that does NOT exit his or her lungs.

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

Answer: "again, this is a description of a social construct and not an organized group or following.

The act of disbelieving, mental rejection of something as untrue.

Answer: "how can something exist that has no evidence be true or untrue"..sorry but your paradox begs the question here again.

Inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real.

Answer: Again, the inability is the inability of the believer as they are making the claim, theirs is the default position, and their claim holds the burden of proof.
Refusal or reluctance to believe.
Answer; "..nothing times nothing is what?

The act or an instance of refusing. To indicate unwillingness. Lack of ability or means. An insufficiency, shortage, or absence of something required or desired. Something that is required but is absent or in short supply.

Answer: Like any rational reason is to believe in the first place? Remember now, the inability of logic to disprove a possibility only implies the "possibility", but it never supports it.

Answer: I, as an atheist see no evidence as there is none".and no reason professes support to a reason. What you are describing may be better suited to asking why I might be an Ex-Christian or Ex-believer"..just saying. : )
While an otherwise educated intelligent person may still believe in the bible, that person would have no educated or intellectual reason to do so.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 3:39:18 PM
At 3/30/2013 10:30:15 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/30/2013 10:13:01 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

So you agree that your God may not be real and may be created not the creator? Otherwise you would "believing in your God to be the creator by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing":

Nope I dont. I also do not reject that people believe in theirs.

Then you are a hypocrite. You believe your God to be true based on divine feeling, and you believe every other religion is mistaken in their divine feeling. You are guilty of what you accused me of! You "believing in your God to be the creator by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing"
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:15:47 PM
At 3/30/2013 3:39:18 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Then you are a hypocrite. You believe your God to be true based on divine feeling, and you believe every other religion is mistaken in their divine feeling. You are guilty of what you accused me of! You "believing in your God to be the creator by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing":

You are full of assumption and your rude. I believe and in fact know my God is real and true. I do not deny others feel something from something else. I do not deny what they feel is real. I do not deny they have reason of their own for what they feel and believe is real. <-Quite the opposite of you. Debating which is real and which is not is a whole different topic. We are simply discussing belief in a deity, God, being and supernatural means and are you Refusing or Lacking belief in them?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:52:50 PM
At 3/30/2013 4:15:47 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/30/2013 3:39:18 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

Then you are a hypocrite. You believe your God to be true based on divine feeling, and you believe every other religion is mistaken in their divine feeling. You are guilty of what you accused me of! You "believing in your God to be the creator by revelation and feeling but reject evidence that others have the same thing":

You are full of assumption and your rude. I believe and in fact know my God is real and true. I do not deny others feel something from something else. I do not deny what they feel is real. I do not deny they have reason of their own for what they feel and believe is real. <-Quite the opposite of you. Debating which is real and which is not is a whole different topic. We are simply discussing belief in a deity, God, being and supernatural means and are you Refusing or Lacking belief in them?

I don't mean to be rude, but you are a hypocrite. You believe you feel the real God and everyone else misinterprets their feelings. So, you are correct in interpreting feelings and everyone else is wrong.

You say "I do not deny they have reason of their own for what they feel" If every belief is reasonable, why should people be Christian? Why would God punish non-Christians if every belief is reasonable. Furthermore, you believe atheism is very reasonable right? After all, atheists just feel there is no God, much like others feel there is a specific God.

This is definitely on topic as we are discussing my lack and refusal to believe in 2870 Gods compared to your lack and refusal of 2869 Gods.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:33:25 PM
At 3/30/2013 4:52:50 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I don't mean to be rude,:
I felt you were, I apologize.
but you are a hypocrite. You believe you feel the real God and everyone else misinterprets their feelings.:
I do claim no such thing. I just said I believe they feel they are right.
So, you are correct in interpreting feelings and everyone else is wrong.:
I am correct in interpreting my feelings and others are repsosible for theirs.

You say "I do not deny they have reason of their own for what they feel" If every belief is reasonable, why should people be Christian?:
Thats a debate for theologies not here. You should be what you are because it seems to be or is truth.
Why would God punish non-Christians if every belief is reasonable.:
Being reasonable doesn't mean truth.
Furthermore, you believe atheism is very reasonable right? After all, atheists just feel there is no God, much like others feel there is a specific God.:
Atheism is more reasonable than some. It still is a negative position.

This is definitely on topic as we are discussing my lack and refusal to believe in 2870 Gods compared to your lack and refusal of 2869 Gods.:
Again, you either do not understand, comprehind or just ignore what I have said. I do not deny any being or deity others believe. Therefore I could possibly believe all 2870 including the one I worship.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:56:25 PM
At 3/30/2013 5:33:25 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/30/2013 4:52:50 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I don't mean to be rude,:
I felt you were, I apologize.
but you are a hypocrite. You believe you feel the real God and everyone else misinterprets their feelings.:
I do claim no such thing. I just said I believe they feel they are right.
So, you are correct in interpreting feelings and everyone else is wrong.:
I am correct in interpreting my feelings and others are repsosible for theirs.

You say "I do not deny they have reason of their own for what they feel" If every belief is reasonable, why should people be Christian?:
Thats a debate for theologies not here. You should be what you are because it seems to be or is truth.
Why would God punish non-Christians if every belief is reasonable.:
Being reasonable doesn't mean truth.
Furthermore, you believe atheism is very reasonable right? After all, atheists just feel there is no God, much like others feel there is a specific God.:
Atheism is more reasonable than some. It still is a negative position.

This is definitely on topic as we are discussing my lack and refusal to believe in 2870 Gods compared to your lack and refusal of 2869 Gods.:
Again, you either do not understand, comprehind or just ignore what I have said. I do not deny any being or deity others believe. Therefore I could possibly believe all 2870 including the one I worship.

I am confused mt your seemingly contradictory thoughts...

You are a Christian and therefore believe in the one true Holy Trinity God, yet you believe possibly all 2870 could be true...doesn't this make you agnostic then, not a Christian

You believe the Christian God is the truth based on divine feelings, yet others are not wrong for believing Ares, Thor, Jainisn, the FSM are the truth...there can only be one truth, if the christian God is the truth all other believers are wrong.

Please Sir, rectify these contradictions, if I understand you correctly.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 7:19:42 PM
At 3/30/2013 5:56:25 PM, twocupcakes wrote:

I am confused mt your seemingly contradictory thoughts...

You are a Christian and therefore believe in the one true Holy Trinity God, yet you believe possibly all 2870 could be true...doesn't this make you agnostic then, not a Christian

You believe the Christian God is the truth based on divine feelings, yet others are not wrong for believing Ares, Thor, Jainisn, the FSM are the truth...there can only be one truth, if the christian God is the truth all other believers are wrong.

Please Sir, rectify these contradictions, if I understand you correctly.:

Why would one believe something that they thought was not the truth. There is no sense in taking a stance that you do not believe is the right one. I believe my God and His revelation to be true. I again have no doubt others feel the same about theirs. I have no doubt that they have reason and some kind of feeling to cause them to believe that. Why? Because I have my own. My belief explains most of the Gods you speak of so yes I believe their Gods to be true beings but disbelieve they are the true God and merely created by God. Again this topic is a issue on theistic theologies (which is right and which is wrong)not this discussion. I know there are other deities than my God.
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 7:40:08 PM
At 3/30/2013 7:39:13 PM, Pennington wrote:
Is who are lacking, know what is lacking? What would there be need of?
*Fixed