Jump to topic:

Christian Philosophy

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2013 10:50:31 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What does Christianity teach? What is the message of Christianity?

I will offer that Christianity teaches to Love. It gives the message to have faith in Jesus.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 12:55:18 AM
At 3/29/2013 10:50:31 PM, Pennington wrote:

I will offer that Christianity teaches to Love. It gives the message to have faith in Jesus.

Christianity teach who God is .. Who we are as fallen men and women that daily sin against God.. Who deserve nothing good but Gods wrath in hell.. Who know that Jesus came to the earth and died on Cross to take sin Gods wrath and give life eternal.. Who teach that we must daily repent turn from sin and turn to God and believe in this Gospel of Christ..

Who teach love God hate sin...
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:01:04 AM
At 3/30/2013 12:55:18 AM, Sola.Gratia wrote:

Christianity teach who God is .. Who we are as fallen men and women that daily sin against God.. Who deserve nothing good but Gods wrath in hell.. Who know that Jesus came to the earth and died on Cross to take sin Gods wrath and give life eternal.. Who teach that we must daily repent turn from sin and turn to God and believe in this Gospel of Christ..

Who teach love God hate sin...

Amen
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 4:23:53 AM

Spiritual truths.
God's love and redemption.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 6:39:44 AM

I will offer that Christianity teaches to Love.

First: Can I have a definitive List of this alleged ' love ' your fictional friend supposedly has for us?
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 6:43:26 AM
Christians may teach love, or at least some do. But Christianity does not. Based on what I have seen, Christianity is just something for people to project their own beliefs on. The Christian god is just a tabula rasa that will support or abhor whatever you do.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 6:44:34 AM
Christianity teach who God is ..

Mormons also teach the same!

Moslems likewise!

Jehovah's Witnesses likewise?

Who we are as fallen men and women that daily sin against God..
All Story book propaganda!

. . . . Who know that Jesus came to the earth and died on Cross to take sin Gods wrath and give life eternal..[/quote]
Story book e.g. Deut. 24:16 & Ezek. 18:20 disagree!
Sola.Gratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 9:53:22 AM
At 3/30/2013 6:44:34 AM, Composer wrote:
Christianity teach who God is ..

Mormons also teach the same!

Moslems likewise!

Jehovah's Witnesses likewise?

Who we are as fallen men and women that daily sin against God..
All Story book propaganda!

. . . . Who know that Jesus came to the earth and died on Cross to take sin Gods wrath and give life eternal..[/quote]
Story book e.g. Deut. 24:16 & Ezek. 18:20 disagree!

They don't teach the same thing because they know not God..
And you can disagree all you want but the fact of the matter is the truth is the truth..
"What is sin? It is the glory of God not honored. Holiness of God not reverenced. Greatness of God not admired. Power of God not praised. Truth of God not sought. Wisdom of God not esteemed. Beauty of God not treasured. Goodness of God not savored. Faithfulness of God not trusted. Commandments of God not obeyed. Justice of God not respected. Wrath of God not feared. Grace of God not cherished. Presence of God not prized. Person of God not loved. That is sin." ~John Piper
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 9:54:03 AM
At 3/30/2013 9:53:22 AM, Sola.Gratia wrote:

They don't teach the same thing because they know not God..
And you can disagree all you want but the fact of the matter is the truth is the truth..
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:12:02 AM
At 3/30/2013 6:43:26 AM, muzebreak wrote:
Christians may teach love, or at least some do. But Christianity does not. Based on what I have seen, Christianity is just something for people to project their own beliefs on. The Christian god is just a tabula rasa that will support or abhor whatever you do.

Wow I'm surprised to hear YOU say that. I think Christianity is pretty precise and narrow, not a whole lot of room for error lol.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 1:07:21 PM

I agree that many have made it out to look like this.

Christianity actually teaches about God, his creation, his work with his creation, and specifically his work with us.

I've never forced my belief on anyone. I share it.
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:50:28 PM
At 3/30/2013 11:12:02 AM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Wow I'm surprised to hear YOU say that. I think Christianity is pretty precise and narrow, not a whole lot of room for error lol.

Why are you surprised at me specifically saying that?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:52:48 PM
At 3/30/2013 1:07:21 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I agree that many have made it out to look like this.

And I agree that some people do not follow this generality.

Christianity actually teaches about God, his creation, his work with his creation, and specifically his work with us.

No, Christians do. There is a distinct lack of uniformity in Christianity.

I've never forced my belief on anyone. I share it.

I never said you have. Some have, but I wouldn't even be willing to say most have, or even a lot have.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 5:54:15 PM
At 3/30/2013 9:39:44 AM, Pennington wrote:
But Christianity does not.:
Show it!

Show that it does. Show me that a majority of Christians will love anyone regardless of race, creed, or actions.

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 7:23:43 PM
At 3/30/2013 5:54:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Show it!

Show that it does. Show me that a majority of Christians will love anyone regardless of race, creed, or actions.:

Show me those issues are not a human issue first. You first said christians as individuals are like that and not Christianity doctrine and now you attack Christians themselves. Which is it? Either way you must show that most Christians act racist while also showing that the doctrine that a Christian should live by is not about love.
1Devilsadvocate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2013 11:36:53 PM

Religion in a nut shell (as I currently see it):

"What does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

"Love thy neighbor" (Leviticus 19:18)

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

"Don't do unto others what you would not want done to you"

To be truthful and above all be good to your fellow man regardless of his shortcomings.

This world (as opposed to the next) is temporary, full of vanity, - Ecclesiastes

"Honor your father and your mother"

"You shall not murder"

"You shall not commit adultery"

"You shall not steal"

"You shall not give false testimony"

"Stay far away from falsehood"

"You shall not covet"

Charity.
I cannot write in English, because of the treacherous spelling. When I am reading, I only hear it and am unable to remember what the written word looks like."
"Albert Einstein

http://www.twainquotes.com... , http://thewritecorner.wordpress.com... , http://www.onlinecollegecourses.com...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 6:45:01 AM
At 3/30/2013 7:23:43 PM, Pennington wrote:
At 3/30/2013 5:54:15 PM, muzebreak wrote:
Show it!

Show that it does. Show me that a majority of Christians will love anyone regardless of race, creed, or actions.:

Show me those issues are not a human issue first. You first said christians as individuals are like that and not Christianity doctrine

No, I did not.

and now you attack Christians themselves. Which is it?

Both.......

Either way you must show that most Christians act racist

If I would like to make the claim that most Christians are racist, then I agree that I must show it. But I don't believe I made that claim. I may have implied it though.

while also showing that the doctrine that a Christian should live by is not about love.

No, no no no, no. You made the claim that Christianity teaches love, therefore you must show that it does. You, being the claimant, must provide evidence for your claim. Otherwise, I can dismiss it without any evidence.

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2013 10:36:23 AM
At 3/31/2013 6:45:01 AM, muzebreak wrote:

No, no no no, no. You made the claim that Christianity teaches love, therefore you must show that it does. You, being the claimant, must provide evidence for your claim. Otherwise, I can dismiss it without any evidence.:

Easy, we do that with scripture and its implacations.

Mark 12:31
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Mark 12:33
And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself,

Luke 6:27
But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

Luke 6:32
For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them.

Luke 6:35
But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 13:35
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Romans 12:9
Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

Romans 12:10
Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;

Just a few examples.