Jump to topic:

Religious Politicians

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 11:38:49 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
Again the incident I am about to describe highlights Catholic priests, but I'd like to be fair and extend this to all politicians of faith. It's become a recent controversy amongst Catholics about whether or not pro-choice politicians should denounce their faith. This became a heated public debate when there was an uproar about giving Ted Kennedy a Catholic funeral, and the priest who presided over it took a lot of flack. I think that's ridiculous. However, Canon law forbids a Catholic funeral to anyone (even a Catholic) who is unrepentant of public sin.

First of all, just because you're a pro-choice politician doesn't mean that you are pro-abortion. Don't people realize that politicians usually don't always agree with the stances they take? They're supposed to be representing the people, after all - not themselves. Second, don't people understand that politics is a game of give-and-take a.k.a. appeasing people? For instance, the health care bill on the table is being postponed because the Republicans are up in arms about the abortion clause; they don't want to give government funding for abortions.

I think it's unfair and unrealistic to expect politicians to side with religion all the time. Clearly a HUGE majority of politicians practice or claim to adhere to some type of faith; mostly Christian (we've also seen that this is far more important than we'd like to admit). At the same time, Christian doctrine vehemently opposes abortion even though a huge faction of the population supports pro-choice practices. So, there's obviously a huge disconnect. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I still think it's ridiculous to hold politicians to that standard. They can believe what they want personally and morally, but their obligation is to protect public legal rights. To be penalized for it by their faith seems sad and almost like bullying.
President of DDO
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 11:47:29 AM
Its interesting to see how politicians who are so amorale could be judging religous leaders devoting their life to bring values to familieas..
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 12:23:54 PM
At 11/13/2009 11:38:49 AM, theLwerd wrote:

"They're supposed to be representing the people, after all - not themselves."

I would want my representative to push for whats right, as he sees it. He should argue for what he thinks, and if the people agree with him they'll vote for him. The way that you present it, it excuses horribly ridiculous practices, such as adding pork to laws with which they have nothing to do. And it would encourages a kind of politics in which people don't run on reasoned ideas, but rather only: "this is how willing i am to sell out in order to get elected."

Though I would say that it might be a reality that this is the way most politicians get and stay elected, it is not the way it should be, and I wouldn't advocate excusing their positions on these grounds.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2009 12:26:15 PM
I understand that religious belief and identification is a rather personal issue, but I'm not for people not saying, or acting on, what they think.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."