Jump to topic:

Would you really?

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:40:18 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
A question to those who hold to religious beliefs.

When confronted with evidence that contradicted beliefs you held, would you actually change them?
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Radar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:52:49 AM
At 4/1/2013 12:40:18 AM, muzebreak wrote:

When confronted with evidence that contradicted beliefs you held, would you actually change them?

Of course. Don't confuse religious beliefs with a religious-oriented model.

Someone once said, "Human understanding is like a web anchored at three points: self, other and the unit. Conceptual knowledge is the spiral that forms the body of the web and linking all three. Every new bit of information damages the spiral in some way and it has to be repaired, but some people wait so long before making any repairs (creationists, for example) that they hold everyone else back."
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:53:00 AM
Every non-theist who was formally a theist would probably answer yes to that question. I would.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:53:23 AM

When confronted with evidence that contradicted beliefs you held, would you actually change them?:

I do daily(or atleast weekly ;)
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 12:58:22 AM
At 4/1/2013 12:52:49 AM, Radar wrote:

Of course. Don't confuse religious beliefs with a religious-oriented model.

Someone once said, "Human understanding is like a web anchored at three points: self, other and the unit. Conceptual knowledge is the spiral that forms the body of the web and linking all three. Every new bit of information damages the spiral in some way and it has to be repaired, but some people wait so long before making any repairs (creationists, for example) that they hold everyone else back."

No offense man, but you have this thing where you always act as though every post dealing with theism or religion is directed directly at you. And you start replying like they strawmanned your position or something.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:01:00 AM
At 4/1/2013 12:53:23 AM, Pennington wrote:

When confronted with evidence that contradicted beliefs you held, would you actually change them?:

I should have specified. I was more referring to deep-seated beliefs, like YEC, or the religion itself, or even theism as a whole.

muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:02:15 AM
At 4/1/2013 12:53:00 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Every non-theist who was formally a theist would probably answer yes to that question. I would.

Agreed, I was once a theist.

Pennington
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:05:25 AM
At 4/1/2013 1:01:00 AM, muzebreak wrote:

I should have specified. I was more referring to deep-seated beliefs, like YEC, or the religion itself, or even theism as a whole.:

Well anyone who has beliefs like those(like me), I do not think my interpretations of my religion are always correct or the highest understanding of them. Therefore I can accept wrongs in my understanding but to throw my religion away would be nonsense. My faith/religion offers more than just trying to prove everything.
DDO Debate Champion Forum
http://www.debate.org...
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:12:57 AM
At 4/1/2013 1:05:25 AM, Pennington wrote:
At 4/1/2013 1:01:00 AM, muzebreak wrote:

I should have specified. I was more referring to deep-seated beliefs, like YEC, or the religion itself, or even theism as a whole.:

Well anyone who has beliefs like those(like me), I do not think my interpretations of my religion are always correct or the highest understanding of them. Therefore I can accept wrongs in my understanding but to throw my religion away would be nonsense. My faith/religion offers more than just trying to prove everything.

So, do you really care whether there is truth in your religion then? Or do you just enjoy the benefits of your faiths? Or am I completely off base with both of these?

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:21:12 AM
Yes. But other than the Problem of Evil, the Argument from Incoherence, Non-Cognitivism, Inconsistent Religions, and Divine Hiddenness, I don't know of any "evidence" that could contradict belief in God. That said, through my personal interest in apologetics, I have good evidence to support a belief in God.

(of course, this response concerns theism in general, not necessarily my complementary religious beliefs, such as the Resurrection, etc.)
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:25:18 AM
At 4/1/2013 1:21:12 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:
Yes. But other than the Problem of Evil, the Argument from Incoherence, Non-Cognitivism, Inconsistent Religions, and Divine Hiddenness, I don't know of any "evidence" that could contradict belief in God. That said, through my personal interest in apologetics, I have good evidence to support a belief in God.

(of course, this response concerns theism in general, not necessarily my complementary religious beliefs, such as the Resurrection, etc.)

What about your religious beliefs? Would you ever shed them?

Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:43:18 AM
At 4/1/2013 1:25:18 AM, muzebreak wrote:

Yea. I generally consider myself a reasonable person, though those who share that ridiculous Dr. House graphic believe otherwise.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:44:02 AM

Yea. I generally consider myself a reasonable person, though those who share that ridiculous Dr. House graphic probably believe otherwise.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2013 1:49:01 AM
At 4/1/2013 1:44:02 AM, Nur-Ab-Sal wrote:

Yea. I generally consider myself a reasonable person, though those who share that ridiculous Dr. House graphic probably believe otherwise.

Fair play.