Jump to topic:

The Dirty Evil Word

matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:21:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Did God bring about evil on humans to play games and to test us?

Had evil already existed and had it already inhabited the earth before humans were created?

If evil is the outcome of a particular choice, then is "choice" the foundation for evil?

I am interested in what others think :)
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:25:50 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:21:04 PM, matt.mcguire88 wrote:

Had evil already existed and had it already inhabited the earth before humans were created?

If evil is the outcome of a particular choice, then is "choice" the foundation for evil?

Read Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals.
Tsar of DDO
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 4:32:34 PM
At 4/3/2013 4:25:50 PM, YYW wrote:

Read Nietzsche's Genealogy of Morals.

Okay cool, does that explain your opinion on the matter?
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 6:36:30 PM

Show us a Literal Supernatural god & then we'll talk some more?
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2013 10:09:43 PM
Did God bring about evil on humans

Obviously.

to play games and to test us?

I thought we pots weren't supposed to question the potter's motives.

Yes, it created the heavens and the earth before it created humans.

That's a point of view question, not a truth question. The correct answer is, "You can think of it that way if you want to."
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 8:48:06 AM
Evil is based on morality, which I believe was created by evolutionary pressures.
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:15:12 AM

No.

No.

Not really.

Precisely. Your ability to think is where evil comes from ;)

At 4/4/2013 8:48:06 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:
Evil is based on morality, which I believe was created by evolutionary pressures.

I believe that is incorrect... it doesn't seem possible to me that intelligence can exist, in this universe anyway, without a balance of morality. Simply put, non-intelligent creatures act in instinctive ways which don't damage their environment. Intelligent creatures gain the ability to think selfishly and indulgently. Morality is simply an organism's capacity to maintain symbiosis with its environment, and that starts with being helpful to one another.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
AlbinoBunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:46:51 AM
At 4/4/2013 9:15:12 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

No.

No.

Not really.

Precisely. Your ability to think is where evil comes from ;)

At 4/4/2013 8:48:06 AM, AlbinoBunny wrote:

I believe that is incorrect... it doesn't seem possible to me that intelligence can exist, in this universe anyway, without a balance of morality. Simply put, non-intelligent creatures act in instinctive ways which don't damage their environment. Intelligent creatures gain the ability to think selfishly and indulgently. Morality is simply an organism's capacity to maintain symbiosis with its environment, and that starts with being helpful to one another.

And "evil" is having an "arms race" with "cooperation", "evil" tries to take advantage of "cooperation" and "cooperation" tries to find ways to weed out "evil".
bladerunner060 | bsh1 , 2014! Presidency campaign!

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org... - Running for president.
http://www.debate.org... - Running as his vice president.

May the best man win!
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:57:27 AM

When people say "test", usually that implies that someone is running an experiment to find out an outcome. However, If God exists, he already knows all outcomes, so to say he would "test" anybody doesn't make much sense. Another example, is seen in how people test their girlfriend to see how faithful she is, but if you already know exactly how faithful she is, a test is pointless. Basically, since God is omniscient, it's fair to say he isn't testing anybody (assuming he actually exists).

As far as games go, it's possible that there could be a less than omnibenevolent creator, who gets off on evil.

It all depends on what you mean by "evil".

If God exists, then he is the foundation for evil. He knew that if he created us, evil would follow (once more, this all depends on what you mean by "evil"), yet, he did it anyway. He could have created free creatures, who were not capable of such atrocities, but he didn't.

medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 9:58:43 AM

I beleive that evil is simply going against what God tells us, evil is sin. We sin when we refuse to listen to God, so it is the result of a choice that we make. It can be argued that the free will that God gives us is the cause of evil, but I disagree with that argument because we have the option of following God's instruction, so the cause of evil lies with man's decisions.
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:42:17 AM
At 4/3/2013 6:36:30 PM, Composer wrote:

Show us a Literal Supernatural god & then we'll talk some more?

And what part are you willing to play?
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 10:46:15 AM
At 4/3/2013 10:09:43 PM, wiploc wrote:
Did God bring about evil on humans

Obviously.

to play games and to test us?

I thought we pots weren't supposed to question the potter's motives.

Baaaahahaha! I don't believe He does, just wandering about others.

Yes, it created the heavens and the earth before it created humans.

That's a point of view question, not a truth question. The correct answer is, "You can think of it that way if you want to."

Ah okay
matt.mcguire88
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2013 11:11:40 AM
At 4/4/2013 9:58:43 AM, medic0506 wrote:

I beleive that evil is simply going against what God tells us, evil is sin. We sin when we refuse to listen to God, so it is the result of a choice that we make. It can be argued that the free will that God gives us is the cause of evil, but I disagree with that argument because we have the option of following God's instruction, so the cause of evil lies with man's decisions.

Agreed
Truth_seeker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 8:34:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

I believe that evil already existed before humans. I believe the fulfilling of that choice is evil.
bornofgod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2014 8:45:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

God created the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil". So He's the author of all evil in this world.

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.