Jump to topic:

The soul

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 1:38:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The Egyptians have 6 concepts of the soul; the ka, the ba, the akhu, the sheut, the ib, and the ren.

The Ba is the closest to the concept of the soul. The ba is not only the personality of an individual, but the individual themselves. The ba was depicted as either a stork or a hawk with a human head.

The sheut, or shadow, serves as the incorporeal vessel for the ba, whereas the body serves as it's corporeal vessel. The sheut is present in the statues, paintings, and other images of a person. The sheut can go where the body cannot, but the ba must always remain nearby.

The ka is the life-force, which must be sustained through the consumption of food and drink. When eating, the ka is replenished by absorbing the ka of the food. When someone dies, their ka leaves their body. The ka is the difference between life and death.

The ib is the incorporeal heart, which is located in the corporeal heart. A person dies when their ib becomes tired. The ib is formed at the moment of birth from a drop of the mother's blood. When happy the ib widens, and when a person becomes estranged their ib shrinks. The more immoral a person is the heavier their heart becomes. When a person dies their ba and sheut travel to the underworld , to reunite with their ka. Before their ba can reunite with their ka, their ib must be weighed against the feather of Ma'at. If their ib outweighs the feather of Ma'at, their ib is eaten by Ammit, the devourer of souls. Alternatively it is cast into the lake of fire. If eaten by Ammit, or cast into the lake of fire, the Ba and Sheut are condemned to oblivion, and cease to exist. When the ka and the ba reunite, they form the Akhu, or living-spirit, and become immortal.

The ren, is a person's name. Egyptians often kept their true name secret, because invoking their name gave people control over their ba. If your name becomes famous, it ensures your immortality in death, and if your name becomes infamous it ensures your ba would be condemned to oblivion. By erasing someone's name from history, you can prevent their fame from helping them in the weighing of the heart ceremony.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 2:42:39 AM
Define soul.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 7:36:57 AM
At 4/7/2013 6:34:45 AM, johnlubba wrote:
At 4/7/2013 2:42:39 AM, muzebreak wrote:
Define soul.

Immaterial aspect of consciousness.

I was asking DanT, I wanted a definition in respect to what 'Ba' means.

But I ain't not dualist, so I don't believe in such a concept.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 9:27:48 AM
At 4/7/2013 6:51:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Wait, so are you a Kemetic Reconstructionist?

I use to be
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 9:37:17 AM
Define soul.

The spiritual or incorporeal part of an individual.
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 9:43:27 AM
At 4/7/2013 9:37:17 AM, DanT wrote:
Define soul.

I'm still not sure what you are talking about. What is this part, what is the purpose of it, how do you know it is there?

DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2013 1:57:57 PM
At 4/7/2013 9:43:27 AM, muzebreak wrote:
At 4/7/2013 9:37:17 AM, DanT wrote:
Define soul.

I'm still not sure what you are talking about. What is this part, what is the purpose of it, how do you know it is there?

The soul is the essence of your being; it is who you are. Why are you asking me what a soul is when I explained it in the OP?
The components of the soul is your personality (ba), your life-force (ka), your name (ren), your image (sheut), and your emotions (ib).